Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Col. Bruce Hampton(ret.) and The ARU reviews
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Col. Bruce Hampton(ret.) and The ARU reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Col. Bruce Hampton(ret.) and The ARU reviews Reply with quote

If you went to the show, please put your review here!

South Panic

Last edited by jaystraw on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
smv929

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't at the show, but have listened to both the 10/19 and 10/20 shows. All I can say is everyone is smokin. Jimmy sounds like he's been waiting to let loose. Heard some new things. Jeff and Oteil and Jimmy are a great rhythm section. Funky! I know Bruce's health has not been the greatest, but I hope they have plans to stay together for a while.

Although ARU has been on hold for all these years, it's amazing how they have remained alive with fans. It shows how special they are. It's like they didn't quit. Hell, they released an album, albeit it was recorded a long time ago, but still. Maybe now that Oteil and Jimmy have some money in their pockets (I would assume after playing for the big boys), maybe they can afford to give a try for a while.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god I hope so!

Those discs are crazy...I love Jimmy in The Dead, but I understand if he feels confined...especially with what he can do talent-wise.

South Panic
Zambi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised nobody has mentioned the recently announced ARU shows in Boulder, CO coming up in January. There's a thread on it over at the ABB's "Hittin' the Web" site, which includes a couple links to verify. It's also listed on Pollstar. I think the reference to Kofi being in the lineup is a typo, b/c the DTB is playing in Maryland one of those nights and Kofi hasn't really been part of the "reunion lineup" over the past several years, except for that one show at MagFest where DTB was playing immediately afterwards.

Anyway:

http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=35548

and:

http://www.foxtheatre.com/Index2.aspx

Fri 01/20 & Sat 01/21:
Only North America Shows! Original Line-Up!

COL. BRUCE HAMPTON & THE AQUARIUM RESCUE UNIT feat. JIMMY HERRING, JEFF SIPE, OTEIL & KOFI BURBRIDGE

Doors/Show: 8:30 PM /9:00 PM
Ages: 21+
Tickets: $26.50

Imagine a supergroup featuring the bass player for the Allman Brothers, the guitarist for The Dead, the keyboard player from the Derek Trucks Band, one of the best drummers around and a soulful, raspy-voiced singer with pipes down to his knees. Sound like a fantasy? Well, it actually happened, and the supergroup has a name: the Aquarium Rescue Unit. Once again joined by the legendary Col. Bruce Hampton, the band is hitting the road in its original line-up for a handful of North American dates.
jaystraw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from Vegas and this is the first I'm hearing of this....hmmmm.

Thanks for the info!!

South Panic
lypper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never.
I went sailing on jamcruise this year almost soley for the ARU shows!And I'm damn glad I did.Just HAD to see this.

The music was amazing,and when Jimmy sat in with the other cats on the boat,it was truly mind blowing.
Some people think David Crosby was the best singer in CSN cuz he was so good you often couldn't hear him,he just glued it all together.Jimmy's playing is like that to me.When he's not absolutely slaying us with leads,he's just making everyone else on stage a monster.Shit,Jimmy could make anyone look good.And does.That's my opinion.

Best line from the boat---when I asked the Colonel why they weren't selling any merchandise on the boat,shirts etc,he looked at me with this troubled,puzzled look on his face,and intoned sincerely--"We're not a band"!

Classic.

Bruce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: