Jimmy Herring Discussion :: View topic - Jimmy? Anyone?
Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index

Jimmy Herring Discussion
The Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum...finally!

www.JimmyHerring.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Jimmy? Anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smv929

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Jimmy? Anyone? Reply with quote

I really miss the activity that has disappeared since Jimmy joined WSP. What's up with that? Even his own site has cobb webs. Anyone have any news or you tube videos or equipment updates or pics or how he custom shapes the fat side of his picks by rubbing it against the carpet or something? Must...have...Jimmy...discussion...fix...
triadboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy? Anyone? Reply with quote

smv929 wrote:
Must...have...Jimmy...discussion...fix...

When I played with Jimmy and his band Paradox (1983) - he was playing Dixie Dreg songs NOTE FOR NOTE! Jimmy was around 21 at the time. He's a monster.
smv929

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he was into Steve Morse long ago and it shows like in Mirrors of Embarrassment. I like where he's gone with it. Was Paradox a successful popular band or more like a great band that played cool technical music but couldn't get a following.

Do you have any interesting recordings or stories from playing with Jimmy?
triadboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smv929 wrote:
Was Paradox a successful popular band or more like a great band that played cool technical music but couldn't get a following.

Check out my introduction for my story. When Jimmy invited me to play with them - they weren't playing out at all. (And I hadn't played in years) We'd go to Jimmy's basement and jam for hours. Apparently before I got there, they used to play a particular club in Fayetteville every once in a while and had a following of musicians. (It wasn't dance music)

Quote:
Do you have any interesting recordings or stories from playing with Jimmy?

No recordings.

I just can't explain enough what a monster Jimmy was - at 21! He had just come back from a summer course at Berkley. But as a guitarist - watching him play Steve Morse perfectly - and smiling at me while he did it...was glorious and disheartening. I felt like giving up.

But I didn't. He actually sparked a renewed interest in playing and I've been playing ever since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jimmy Herring Discussion Forum Index -> Jimmy Herring Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: