Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't lube your Bigsby Arm with Silicone spray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nofallo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Don't lube your Bigsby Arm with Silicone spray Reply with quote

I've noticed a scrunchy sound at the arm and tiny metal flakes on the body so I thought...hmmm, needs some lube or maybe a thin teflon washer on top of the spring next time I change strings. In the meantime, I'll just take that dental flush syringe I kept after my last cleaning visit, put some silicone spray in it, and with surgical precision, apply to the arm pivots and spring tensioner. BAD IDEA! Nylon doesn't like CRC Silicone Lube.

Last night's gig included moments of embarrassment as I had this "wet noodle" dangling and bouncing around that used to be the solid arm of my Bigsby. I'm so addicted to Bigsbyville that I took an early break, grabbed my pair of thin long-nosed pliers, held one jaw carefully against the flat of the now compromised nylock nut and managed to tighten it back up...a process I had to repeat on every break. Lesson learned. Now I need to suss out the thread pitch and get a new nylock nut.

Anyone else seen and cured the metal flaking/scrunchy noise at the arm?

It's sometimes hard being me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: