Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

complicated...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjackh2nd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: complicated... Reply with quote

This is some complicated stuff. I have been in music for over 40 years and i have been exposed to the terminology, etc. However, in the past couple years I have been trying to understand music from the theoretical perspective. I actually thank JA for that inspiration even though I don't believe he is deep into theory himself. His playing style and skill, which is what got my attention, sent me down a different road to guitar playing. From strumming and copying leads to building chords, arpeggios, voicings, and, as JA would say, using the guitar as the voice of the song.

So, I've been reading a good deal about jazz theory and I started taking lessons again. my instructor is very good with the theoretical stuff but by and large, it's over my head. There's a secret to this stuff somewhere, an epiphany I hope to have one day in the midst of struggling through yet another difficult concept. And then, it will begin to come together and make sense. If anyone out there knows any of the secrets, please pass 'em along. I want to figure this stuff out before I power down the amp for the last time...

this stuff is complicated!

Jack in Indy
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the goal? What do you want to accomplish with all the theory?

Write tunes
Improvise over changes
Arranging
Chord Solos
Transcribe

Also, check out the Robben Ford and Scott Henderson theory sections (menus above). We have discussed this quite a bit.

Let's getting going here too! Very Happy
drjackh2nd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: complicated... Reply with quote

thanks for the reply and for the question - its a good one.

when i spend time with something, it is my nature to understand the "science" behind it. playing music requires some understanding of principles of music in order to be in a position to have the music take you to new places. my opinion anyway. mostly i am looking for chordal voicings, improvisation theory - how to use scales effectively, how to build songs from the melody with nice chordal progressions kinda jazz style. things like that. it is my nature though to achieve some fundamental understanding and then explore from there. the problem with music is that it can be so complicated that the more you learn, the more you don't know!

jack in indy
moozak

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjack... check your email. i'd be happy to help you out some... and i'm in your general area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Theory Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: