Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sticky nut: Advice from da man, (JA) pedal board??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: sticky nut: Advice from da man, (JA) pedal board?? Reply with quote

My JA (246) is still fairly new but I love it. It's making my other gits collect dust. I have changed strings, stainless cause I like the way they bend but still have a bit of a sticky nut. I hear a ping now and again especially when tuning. I am learning to use the Bigsby more and I'm sure that will loosen it up eventually. Meanwhile. advice from Johnny himself:
Caught his show at Jammin Java, Vienna Va and was blown away. Kudos to bassist Jesse Bastos and drummer Chris Farr too, they are top notch. Anywho, got John to sign my certificate (I agree with him about signing the git itself,, why? to sell it on Ebay?) and asked about the nut. I told him I've tried graphite. He said try Golf wax.. hope I've got that right said you can get it at any hardware store... guess where I'm heading today!?!?
ALSO:
I forgot to take a picture of his pedal board, anyone know his setup?
(PS Was a trip to see him playing a quilted black JA like mine)
[/b]
Nofallo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: it's GULF wax Reply with quote

I've been on a merry chase today 'cause I just asked JA 2 days ago and also thought he said GOLF wax. After calling a bunch of golf pro shops, none of whom had ever heard of golf wax, I searched google...no dice. It finally dawned on me that John said GULF not GOLF. I'm LMAO. It's basic paraffin household canning, candlemaking wax and the brand name is Gulf Wax. I'm on my way to get some in just a minute...
Nofallo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Gulf Wax Reply with quote

...follow up: It works and it's not messy!
k0she

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: pedal board Reply with quote

Sorry this is so late. It is from July 2005 in St. Louis. photo 0010 shows the pedals pretty good. You can see the settings for most of them.
http://www.cloud9guitars.org/JA/album/index.htm
quackattack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i had the "sticky nut problem "solved about 6 mos after doing some nut slot filing, but no dice....until yesterday

This is one of those extremely rare instances when a GUITAR CENTER salesperson was actually helpful. I stopped in to buy a product called Nut Sauce which is being touted as a good nut [guitar] lubricant.

They didn't carry it but the guy recommended GHS ALL Graphite Lube Gel, which was supposedly formulated by Rene Martinez, SRV's guit-tech.

A pinhead sized drop to applied to each nut slot and......Problem solved.

I don't know how long it'll last, but the effect on Bigsby detuning is dramatic. Even if I have to use it weekly, the $5.00 tube should last well into 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: