Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary Combo Amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary Combo Amps Reply with quote

These are the amps JA uses live. I've got two of these and I dig them. They are clearly outstanding amps. I own 4 Marshall's and these 6101 Combos simply rule. They are very versatile and the three channels really deliver a diverse sound. It's the first Marshall I've ever played where turning knobs other than volume actually do something! I have one 6101 in Blue and one in black. Are there other 6101 owners out there?
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that Johnny A. runs these direct with no speaker. He told me that both CDs were recorded this way as well as all live gigs.
chrisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Direct into the PA Reply with quote

Yes, Johnny A. runs his 6101 directly into the main PA. I've seen him about 10 times now and you know, I'm absolutley amazed at the consistency of his sound especially since he's using house PA gear. I've had the privledge of being backstage during a sound check and I can tell you that JA knows what he wants to hear and doesn't cut corners to get the sound he wants and that includes drums and bass. The guy isn't passive about trying to perfect the sound for the audiance and I really respect that. I don't claim to know much about how a sound system for a gig works but it seems to me that running directly into the PA is a pretty savvy move. If you mic the amp you have to deal with all that ambient sound. In this case plug it in, adjust the mix, make sure you've got the levels right and it's done! JA does have some customization done to one of he 6101. He's had the speaker removed and a new case built for it with a fawn tolex. Someone who knows far more about these amps than I do pointed out that JA has some sort of Reverb unit installed inside the case of his modified 6101.
bclaire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love industrial velcro... that's what's holding the Alesis Midiverb in the back of John's and my amps...

6101's are awesome- but in the studio there's a Neve preamp between the emulated out and the board. Live- straight into the board. It's easy to be consistent when you don't have to worry about volume, reflections in the hall, mic placement, etc.

The blue ones (1992) are the best ones- Marshall changed the circuitry of the black 6100LM/ 6101LM amps...

Billy
Russ Land

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: JA's amps Reply with quote

Privileged to watch JA play at the zoo here, outdoors on a gorgeous evening. What a show! He seemed to be enjoying himself. Anyway, he was using two Speedster heads. These, I believe, are built by Mike Soldano. Mike's a hot rod nut and the panels on these amps resemble a custom car dashboard. Cabinets are finished in metal flake blue, similar to an automotive paint job - very distinctive. These two were each sitting on a smaller box, made to match the amp heads - I assume they were preamps of some sort. I've seen the Speedsters for sale before, but never the separate preamp (?), but they were definitely made to match. Maybe JA had Soldano build him something special to give him more control over what comes out of the PA. No speaker cabs - straight into the board.

chrisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: black 6101 vrs blue 6101 Reply with quote

Billy,

Do you happen to know what the differences are in the black and blue 6101s? I've got one of each and they sound identical to me. Hope you're well man
bclaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: JA's amps Reply with quote

Russ Land wrote:
These two were each sitting on a smaller box, made to match the amp heads - I assume they were preamps of some sort.

Those Speedsters were very cool but a bit of a frustrating nightmare overall. What you were seeing were (top to bottom):

Speedster 25 watt head
Speedster custom cabinet holding a Groove Tubes speaker emulator
and usually, but I guess not when you saw him- Speedster cab with Eminence speaker (JA endorses these...)

As good as they were, tone-wise they couldn't come close to the consistency of the 6101's. Whereas a soundcheck is a simple affair with the 6101's, with the Speedsters it was a matter of adjusting and tweaking and a lot more time...

The Speedsters are painted with the colors of Chrysler's PT Cruisers by the way...

Billy

Last edited by bclaire on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
bclaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: black 6101 vrs blue 6101 Reply with quote

chrisa wrote:
Billy,

Do you happen to know what the differences are in the black and blue 6101s? I've got one of each and they sound identical to me. Hope you're well man

If I recall correctly, the main difference is in channel three- a lot more buzzy gain is available for the metal-heads.

Here's a website with some info:

http://www.blamepro.com/mar30th.htm

Billy
Vickery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reverb for the 6100 / 6101's Reply with quote

The reverb you see in the back of Johnny's 6101 is probably an Alesis Nanoverb. I had asked him previously what he uses and thats what he recommended for the 6100/6101's.

The 6100 /6101's were made in blue in 1992 and utilized EL34 tubes, and sometime late that year Marshall switched to black, for whatever reason. Then, in 1993 I am told, Marshall began using 5881 tubes and a few other modifications were made and the amp was given the LM designation.

I have heard both the EL34's and the 5881's, and by far the EL34's sound much brighter and cleaner. Groove tubes would be a good place to look if you are looking to replace your EL34's.
bclaire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, right, Nanoverb. I have one in the back of my 6101 and I couldn't remember what it was Confused What a riot.

and again, you're right about the tube change, but that was because all of the supplies of EL34's were drying up at the time and it didn't look like anyone was going to be making new ones. Marshall switched ALL of their EL34 amps over to those tubes and they're crap if you ask me...

Now we have lots of manufacturers making some quality EL34's...

Billy
Russ Land

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy - Thanks for the Speedster insight. Does the speaker emulator just provide a load for the amp to chew on? Seems like the amp would sound radically differnt loaded vs. unloaded. Not being a 'tricity and 'tronics guru I don't know for sure but seems like driving the tubes with no load would be hard on them, as well as the transformers. I've always been happy plugging straight in and using speakers (G12H30's, preferably) and have never run an amp head with no load.

PT Cruiser's, eh? Neat colors, strange looking amps.

JA 163
ICMIntl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Marshall's 30th Anniversary 6101 Reply with quote

I see that this discussion happened a while ago, but I have to know!!! Where can I get a 30th Anniversary 6101 (Blue - 1992). I can't seem to find this anywhere except overseas. I had to call one place in the Netherlands (because my ISP doesn't like sending E-mail overseas) and they couldn't speak English well enough to get anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get one?!? Any direction will be greatly appreciated. Confused
bclaire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Marshall's 30th Anniversary 6101 Reply with quote

ICMIntl wrote:
I see that this discussion happened a while ago, but I have to know!!! Where can I get a 30th Anniversary 6101 (Blue - 1992). I can't seem to find this anywhere except overseas. I had to call one place in the Netherlands (because my ISP doesn't like sending E-mail overseas) and they couldn't speak English well enough to get anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get one?!? Any direction will be greatly appreciated. Confused

They ARE out there... just do some websearching... and keep your eye on ebay. Expect to pay around $1100+ for one though. They've held their value pretty well... they were a $2400 list price when they came out in 1992!

You don't say where you are so that makes it a little tough to give advice and I'm talking US right now as far as finding amps go...

Billy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: