Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cornfest video 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluehugh2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Johnny A mods... Reply with quote

Well, We already discussed that the Bigsby sure doesn't stay in tune "out of the box"... and that has been addressed elsewhere... but what about a roller Tunematic replacement bridge??? Elderly has them for $56. I wonder if they are less toneful??? Seems to me that the tuning would improve for deep trem use.
Also, I think there are pickups that might "open up" the Johnny A sound. the Classic 57s are quite "tight" and although punchy and quite good sounding, they are not very spacious sounding.
I just bought a set of Tom Holmes from my friend(gold)... haven't put them in yet.
quackattack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only mods I've done are

1] installing Schaller straplocks:

I was able to use the OEM strap-button screws by turning the screwheads on a sander until they fit down into the Schaller button. Thus, no oversized screwholes in the body.

2] filed string slots on the nut:

now no more Bigsby tuning issues. It is dead-on according to both my ear and the strobe.
andreja marovic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: JA Guitar Modifications: Yes or No Reply with quote

chrisa wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has made any modifications to a JA or has seen any. I'm also interested to read the opinions from others on if mods should be made to the JAs. Personally I think the guitar is pretty darn perfect and would't make any changes to the two that I own. But I'd love to hear from others on this topic!

no changes,
the guitar is PERFECT,
JA208
andreja marovic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: JA Guitar Modifications: Yes or No Reply with quote

chrisa wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has made any modifications to a JA or has seen any. I'm also interested to read the opinions from others on if mods should be made to the JAs. Personally I think the guitar is pretty darn perfect and would't make any changes to the two that I own. But I'd love to hear from others on this topic!

no changes,
the guitar is PERFECT,
JA208
tvegas99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: JA MODS to my#80 Reply with quote

I put an Earvana nut on my JA #80 (it is non-invasive) and had my bridge moved closer to my rear pickup. Initially the bridge was very close to the Bigsby making the tension on the bar very tight and changing strings quite difficult. Now the guitar stays in tune better and the Bigsby has a softer, looser vibe that i really enjoy. Very Happy

The only other thing I did was straplocks, I had to grind them down to fit in the small Bigsby space, the Dunlop's seem to fit the best, I bought a couple of different brands and the Dunlop's required the least amount of grinding.

BTW, what's up with gold hardware, mine went south very quickly. It really doesn't bother me, it just seems a shame, I take good care of my instruments so I was suprised at how quickly it pitted. Crying or Very sad
andreja marovic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: JA Guitar Modifications: Yes or No Reply with quote

chrisa wrote:
Twisted Evil Arrow
Man, all modifications are wrong on this guitar! please dont change anything, the worst crime is replacing the tuning keys for some loocking variety, I eventualy understand changing PU for the one's of the same size, but nothing else.
Please dont do anything with the JA guitar you will lose the cool vibe and the instrument will no longer be original. Amen
Andreja
(JA208,JA119)
pilotbar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strap buttons are pretty small. Does anyone know if the Dunlop gold strap LOCKS would work on my Johnny A? My strap keeps falling off.
lefty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Dunlop straplock button on place of the strap button at the Bigsby end. It needed several spacer washers to lift it high enough as the Dunlop won't fit in the little space where the original strap button goes by the Bigsby. It works well enough. Found that I couldn't use the Dunlop strap button on the heel of the guitar as it interferred with my fretting hand too much. So I use one of those locking "washer" type locks (Quick-loks?).

So I have a strap that only works on the JA, with a Dunlop button on one end and open at the other end. But I would recommend some straplock solution for this guitar.I would hate to see one hit the floor!
playon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably change the pickups in mine at some point. I hate those little vintage-style strap buttons, I don't know why they use those stock since this guitar is not a vintage model.
Otis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: JA Mods Reply with quote

I took the neck pickup magnet and flipped it over for that Peter Green out of phase middle position sound. I'm thinking of replacing the tuners with Waverly's from Stew Mac. I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be easily reversed. Cheers, Otis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: