Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's give Johnny some direction!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cminor7b5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Let's give Johnny some direction! Reply with quote

Fellow "A" heads:

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is WayneN and I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm a recent convert to the church of Johnny A. My main musical thing is Django Reinhardt. I lead a Hot Club quintet here in Toronto called "Swing de Paris" and we gig regularly.

I do not currently own a Johnny A style guitar. I have my Django guitars and a nice Eastman 905 jazz box. I'm looking into a Heritage Les Paul style which I would like to put a bigsby on. (Unless Ephiphone ugh! is coming out with a JA model soon).

The reason for my post is :

Since we're all likely to want to learn as many JA tunes as we can, don't you think we should have some say in the songs he puts on his cds? My current faves and must learns are the ballads. Yes it Is, Poor Side of Town, etc. What I want from you "A"heads is a list of other tunes that you think would suit the JA treatment.

Obviuosly the songs must have strong melody. How about CCR's "Born on the Bayou"? I can hear a little wah-wah on this tune taken a slightly slower tempo. Django's "Manoir de mes reves" or "Nuages" are both obvious choices.

Getting a little more contemporary, how about Prince's "Purple Rain"? Two Dylan songs that come to mind are "Lay Lady Lay" and "It's all Over Now, Baby Blue". "Baby It's You" would be a nice Beatles follow-up to "Yes It is".

A nice up-tempo funk tune could be Sly Stones "Hot Fun In the Summertime". I guess my song list is showing my age. How about it guys and girls? Anything post 1990?

Wayne N
TwinFlame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wayne!

Glad to see that there are some JA fans up in the great white north!

In regards to your comment ("don't you think we should have some say in the songs he puts on his cd's") I know for me personally I feel as though the songs that a musician puts out on a cd must have some special meaning to them. The artist is the one that interprets or creates the music, so it would have to be of his or her own choice...what has meaning to them!

I'm sure JA could play anything under the sun, but it's the songs that he personally chooses to put on a cd that makes them special!

Just my two cents worth! Smile
Cminor7b5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWINFLAME

"In regards to your comment ("don't you think we should have some say in the songs he puts on his cd's") I know for me personally I feel as though the songs that a musician puts out on a cd must have some special meaning to them. The artist is the one that interprets or creates the music, so it would have to be of his or her own choice...what has meaning to them! "

I wholeheartedly agree. My tongue was FIRMLY planted in my cheek when I made those comments. It's just that ever since I started listening to JA I've been thinking of other tunes that would sound good in his style. I was just hoping to start a dialogue that would give myself and others some ideas.

I love cross-pollinating music. I was at the Philly DjangoFest in October and one of my bandmates started playing a Djangoized version of Ozzy Osbournes' "Crazy Train" and it went over just Great.

Wayne N

I wish i knew how to use those little faces so I could be winking when I make some of these comments.
bclaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear Sweet Child 'O Mine...
Cactus Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Atkins did "Yacketty Ax", a guitar version of the Boots Randolph tune "Yacketty Sax". I'd love to hear what Johnny would do with that one. But, like you said, the best stuff comes from the man himself when HE feels it rather than be steered into it by popular request.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Johnny A. Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: