Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gibson's internet advertising limitation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojobebop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: gibson's internet advertising limitation Reply with quote

does anyone know exactly
the specifics of this, & or
exactly what the 'leaked letter'
said?
ja #138
bclaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: gibson's internet advertising limitation Reply with quote

mojobebop wrote:
does anyone know exactly the specifics of this, & or
exactly what the 'leaked letter' said?

What are you talking about?
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47261

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=6476029571&f=4066066091&m=1581033511

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79391
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by retrospex
Here's the memo:

Recently you received a letter from Gibson regarding significant changes in the company's web policy. Gibson's intent is to drive more customers into your store, thus making your store a destination location. It has always been Gibson's desire to have sales of their instruments be done on a personal level, not on a "point and click" shopping cart level. It is only when the end consumer interacts with your sales staff can the "Gibson story" be told, and an instrument be truly matched to that individual consumer's personal needs.

Pursuant to that goal, and effective immediately, all authorized Gibson & Epiphone dealers are expected to comply with the following:

Internet sales of all new Gibson Brand instruments and products, including Gibson USA, Gibson Montana, Gibson Memphis, Gibson OAI, Slingerland, Tobias, Gibson Custom/Historic, Epiphone, Valley Arts, Gibson Strings and Accessories are to cease immediately.

All authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to advertise that they are an "AUTHORIZED GIBSON DEALER" and link to the Gibson website, www.gibson.com.

Photos of "in-stock" instruments currently in dealer's inventory will not be allowed to be published on dealer's website.

Consumers are to be encouraged to actually visit the store to purchase instruments, or contact the store regarding a purchase via phone or email. Authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to email consumers photos of specific guitars in dealer's inventory.

Specific artwork and advertising templates for authorized dealers will be made available for dealer's use on their websites. These materials will be made available for download on Gibson's internet press site, www.gibson.com/press.

Advertising outside of dealer's immediate market area as specified in the Gibson Dealer Agreement will not be allowed. This includes (but not limited to) any printed materials such as catalogs, flyers, etc. If there is a question as to your specific market area, please contact XXXXXXXXXXX at Gibson, XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXX.

Sales of new Gibson brand instruments at guitar shows, music events, concerts, music festivals, etc. outside of dealer's approved market area are not allowed
bclaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of idiots... are they TRYING to lose sales?
Russ Land

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an instrument dealer and don't know the ins- and outs, but my guess is they're trying to protect the par value of a Gibson dealership by assuring the dealer the sales from a specific population base. That's a good thing for the dealers, but it may or may not serve to reduce Gibson's volume. It's almost surely an effort to support prices at a higher level, thereby increasing margin (again, good for the dealers). Most dealers sell other brands, and if they can make a better margin from Gibson products, they'll stock more of them and possibly sell more because buyers can hold them in their hands and fall in love with a specific instrument. I've bought several guitars that way - there is enough variation within models that sometimes a specific one just "fits." My strat is the only strat I've ever played that I really liked. Never would have ordered one, or bought one from the internet. So, their strategy could increase volume.

On the other hand, if dealers can reach more customers via the internet, they can move more units and make profit objectives through volume. If enough of them do that, Gibson's volume will increase as well. In that case, the new strategy would seem counter productive. However, I think Gibson wants to avoid the we-be-guitars-and-stuff, wal-mart image. They want to push the "great quality, high value, justifiably high price" segment, and one way to do that is to maintain an air of exclusivity. As a long term strategy, I think they're protecting their future. I don't understand why they wouldn't sell Epi's and some of their other import brands on-line, though.

Agree? Or am I full of crap? I wonder if this decision will mean the end of Gibsons in the Musician's Friend catalog? BTW, the latest Musician's Friend book has the JA in it - $3599. I bought mine from a dealer for A LOT less, with Bigsby.

mojobebop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: gibson Reply with quote

actually i would agree, but i have read they are allowing
a few internet companies; ;(mf, & amazon to continue selling)
ja #138
quackattack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is another horrendous Gibson decsion.

Sure, eliminating more effcient internet competition is a boon to their "mortar and brick" dealers, but they are ignoring the fastest growing segment of worldwide retail sales...online shopping.

Without internet price quotes as a bargaining lever, individual buyers will lose a a distinct advantage when haggling w/ "destination location" dealers.

Also as price/sale increases, sales volume decreases, which will ultimately shrink Gibson revenue. Gibson will feel compelled to increase dealer unit cost to compensate. We all know that price hikes always have a way of "trickling upstream" to the consumer.

I enjoy shopping w/ reputable online dealers [Willicut, Daves, Garrett Park etc.] only when I "can see the goods".

It seems as if one will have to spend an exhorbitant amount of time, emailing each dealer to; determine what is in their inventory, and obtain price quotes- before ever seeing pix of the guitar in question

....It certainly makes PRS or Fender shopping more attractive.
Cactus Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Internet Buying Reply with quote

I personally would never buy something as special as a guitar over the internet. It's something that I have to have some "hands on" time with before I spend that much money. Every guitar, even like models, are just a little different from each other. Although, it would be nice to be able to see all the posibilities that are available when looking on the 'net, so you would have an idea what you would like to see when you did visit your dealer of choice. For me, buying a [i]new[/i] Gibson is like buying a Ferrari anyway. I can see this move as only running up a price tag beyond the reach of all but serious professional musicians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: