Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Johnny A. vs. CS356

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Johnny A. vs. CS356 Reply with quote

I originally posted this on the LP Forum, but probably should have started on this discussion group.

Johnny A. vs. CS356

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plugged in the latest love of my life, Johnny A #110, an antique natural, bigsby-tailed beauty into the trusty Mark IV, and wondered how it would compare sonically to my CS356. To be fair, I A/B'd them with identical settings and adjusted the pickups to the same heights, and both were strung with a new set of 10's. Both are great players, similarly carved mahogany backed, maple-topped, semi-hollow gits with Classic 57 p'ups. The JA goes one step further with the flat inside carve however. It was the more powerful sounding of the two during my un-scientific comparison.

The biggest difference is the JA's 25.5 scale length vs. the 356's more standard 24.75 scale. This gives the JA a more tight, articulate, almost Fender-meets-high-end-archtop feel. It can do jazz if you string it with heavies or flats, but it shines best with...well...any kind of music! It can be bright, but never harsh sounding to me. All three p'up positions produce lively variations of gorgeous sound through the 57 Classics.

The CS356 can be coaxed into some harsh tones, but if you back off the volume and/or tone, it calms it down to a mellow roar. This axe LOVES the blues! Moreso than the JA to me, and leans more towards a 335-meets-Les Paul tone. It is a bit less woody sounding than the JA, and both produce mild, balanced midrange tones. This 356 neck has the fat 50's rounded carve. The JA has a custom shape as per Johnny A's preference, but feels great as you progress up the neck. I prefer the fatter 356 neck of these two. Both gits could crunch close to a Lester, but that's not their forte. I preferred the JA for heavier rock stuff since the flat bottom produced such a quick sonic response to each note, distorted or clean. The 356 could get a little muddy in the neck position unless EQ'd properly. The JA can also squawk almost like a solid body! Very cool sounding!

These two seem to be brothers, not twins, but definitely related...one with a longer scale, more plush, and slightly different personalities. Both are incredible examples of the best I've ever played or owned from Gibson.

This comparison was a lot of fun and lasted over two hours. Something I'd recommend anyone in the market to do prior to purchasing a new guitar. I did it a year afterwards...but with no regrets. Both are keepers.

Your comments are welcome!
Bigs_Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Johnny A. vs. CS356 Reply with quote

Gitfiddler wrote:
I originally posted this on the LP Forum, but probably should have started on this discussion group.

Johnny A. vs. CS356

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both are great players, similarly carved mahogany backed, maple-topped, semi-hollow gits

FYI - The JA is true hollowbody, the CS 356 is a semi-hollow bodied guitar. Confused
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigsbee, you are correct! JA's are full hollow. One more reason the JA is such a cool, unique guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: