Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index

Johnny A. Discussion
The Official Johnny A. Discussion Board

www.JohnnyA.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still Waiting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nofallo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Still Waiting... Reply with quote

I ordered my JA the first week in Sept 04. I was told the CS ran out of wood but I might get mine by Jan 05. Can I please have some cheeze with my wine?

Frell me Dead! Must Have JA!!!! Rolling Eyes
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, where did you order from?

That certainly is a long wait.

Did you order anything special or different that you couldn't find "shopping around"?

~JZ~
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nofallo, you're lucky if you got to custom order your JA. Did you ask for anything unique or wood upgrade?

Most of us ordered from dealer stock and a few lucky bastids ordered direct from the Custom Shop and chose their wood! Wink
Nofallo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Still Waiting... Reply with quote

No special anything...standard JA. I was told the CS ran out of maple for the tops, hence the wait.

I ordered from Alto Music in NY. It's supposed to get here in early January.
My '73 335 is plenty sweet and I use her for all my gigs but with my rather large hands and long fingers, I'm looking forward to the additional string spacing and scale on the JA. I honestly don't expect it to really sound much better, but perhaps I'll be surprised. I will be trading off my 335's personal mods- pickguard mounted master volume (pinky swells and overall volume control are effortless) and my coil tap switch. But I MAY have my tech install these on the JA...IF I like the instrument, its appearance and the Bigsby/vol pot interference isn't an issue. I'm hoping for a non-extreme and non-angled top. If I really don't like it, it's going on EBay and I'll bite the bullet and spend more cash on "special treatment".
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nofallo, your 335 sounds like a close, personal friend! You've modded her to your taste...so I bet you keep her. But the JA is going to be something special too. Hope you are as pleasantly surprised as the rest of us early owners.
Nofallo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Red Guitar is definitely staying and she is VERY special to me...I just don't know how much longer she'll take the gentle but firm neck bends that I've always done to approximate a slight vibrato effect. Smile The JA will be far more accommodating in that regard I'm sure. This will be my first Bigsby equipped instrument so I'm hoping she'll stay in tune and not have bridge tilting issues. I'm definitely watching for all the tips!
Gitfiddler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by Gibson that bridge tilting on a Bixby'd git is fairly typical...so don't be surprised if you notice it occurring after the first couple of string changes. So far it has not had any adverse effect on my JA's intonation.

Also, you will notice a slightly different feel with the JA compared to your 'Big Red' 335, due to the JA's longer 25.5 scale. More like a tight, punchy 'archtop-meets-Les Paul' sound and feel. I think you'll dig it for your vibrato style.

You'll have to give us a comparison review after you get your JA! Cool
Nofallo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the bridge "re-centers" precisely, I guess it won't hurt the intonation, but even the slightest incorrect re-positioning would cause problems. I don't like the idea of the bridge floating. After I set it up, I'll be scrutinizing with my Conn Strobotuner and reporting in. I'm still hoping for a JA Xmas...

Nofallo
Nofallo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA #276 arrived yesterday and she is simply delicious, wonderful and was well worth the wait. I've not seen a more beautiful guitar. Her clarity and tone are noticeably warmer and more present than my '73 335. My Strats and Big Red Guitar are gonna be a bit lonely. The JA fits my hands like a glove and the string spacing makes for more fluid access. The Bigsby lends such an subtle expressiveness. Of all the instruments I've ever played or owned over the last 40 years of playing, this is THE one.
chrisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Register 276!!! Reply with quote

Hey man, don't forget to register your JA on the JAR at www.steelpots.com/jar.htm congratulations on a great guitar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Johnny A. Discussion Forum Index -> The Johnny A. Guitar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: