Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Voodoo1 Vs Voodoo Boost
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Voodoo1 Vs Voodoo Boost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steev05

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Voodoo1 Vs Voodoo Boost Reply with quote

Hi folks,

i'm finishing my new pedal board and i need one extra booster type of pedal.
i use a RC booster wich is just amazing, i use it to give some sparking gain to the channel 1 of the OD100.
but using mainly single coils PU i've heard that the Voodoo 1 could give to your single coils some more fatness, helps to get your sound bigger.
R Mayer describes it as an overdrive but people talk about it as a booster.
do you know the difference between the voodoo1 and the voodoo boost?
with the Xotic XBlender i would blend the BB preamp, Freddy Fuzz; TS9 analog man with one of these voodoo's on my OD100.
i need some more bigness..

thanks for any help, i can't try the pedals.

steev
pingone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mayer Voodoo boost is really a booster. In the ciircuit is no diodes to clip the signal. The Voodoo-1 is an overdrive-distortion unit. The circuit is a mix of rat/distortion+ plus a tone control in big muff style. But with moderate setting of gain control is like a boost with a fat sound (in a good way). I prefere the voodoo1, is more versatile.
steev05

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your explanation!! so the voodoo-1 can be used as a booster as well.
i've heard that the voodoo1 works better with another distortion before in the chain.
Oddos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Mike uses the SD-9 before his Voodoo-1, but I think it`s equally cool the other way around. especially with Marshalls. Works nice with Tubescreamers as well.

The Voodoo-1 is my sort of all round non distortion tone enhancement pedal. I`ve tried many other things, but always comes back to my trusty old Voodoo-1 that I got from a girlfriend, for christmas, 8 years ago now.

A few months ago it needed some spray on the gain pot, but it`s still going strong. Man I wish he didn`t change to the big size on the new ones.
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want the fattness without the additional gain, the Voodoo-Boost is your best choice. Tonewise it is very close to the Voodoo1 but it doesn't have the amount of gain.

Steev, I saw you play at the Acosse Blues festival in 2006, I was in the band that played before you and we talked afterwards about gear and tones etc. Are you still playing with that band (doing Robben Ford etc)?? I'd love to hear your band again some day.

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
steev05

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoeri,

nice to see you here man!! i remember this festival where we met. this band was Fun but we're not playing at the moment, we're all busy on different stuff, in my case, studio work for film scoring but a couple of albums coming out this year.
i'll let you know.
thanks for your help on the Voodoo boost, i'll try to combare the 2 in my setup and see.
got your website, we keep in touch.

take care

steev
LR1400

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddos wrote:
I know Mike uses the SD-9 before his Voodoo-1, but I think it`s equally cool the other way around. especially with Marshalls. Works nice with Tubescreamers as well.

The Voodoo-1 is my sort of all round non distortion tone enhancement pedal. I`ve tried many other things, but always comes back to my trusty old Voodoo-1 that I got from a girlfriend, for christmas, 8 years ago now.

A few months ago it needed some spray on the gain pot, but it`s still going strong. Man I wish he didn`t change to the big size on the new ones.

I personally don't hear the sound of him stacking the SD-9 and Voodoo-1, especially not with SD-9 in front. At least not on lead lines maybe for feedback and noise. It's harsh to me with the SD-9 first and stacked with the Voodoo.

If you look at his amp settings and listen to vids and watch when he changes channels you can hear how he doesn't need to stack them for gain.

Look at the clean gain it is set crunchy and look at the dist channel and it has a good amount of gain as well and if you look at the SD-9 gain setting (less than halfway) with single coils it's not that much gain. But stack it into the OD100 distortion channel and I think that is where his main distortion/lead sound comes from.
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence LR1400,
Oddos is very much into the Landau thing. Ask him anything about ML, - The dude has an answer to it all.
That said, ML uses the volume on the guitar a lot. So he can very well have the pedals kicked in without it sounding harsh. I saw him some months ago, sitting just 10 ft from him. And he had the SD9+Voodoo1 on using channel 2 most of the time, but when he backed of on the volume it cleaned up so nicely. It never sounded harsh, - just sweet and juicy. His Suhr pu's are a major part of this as well. But o/c he adds gain when using ch2 on the OD100. But it's not his main source of distortion, just a part of it.
I use a SD9 and a RC Booster which I run into a Suhr Badger gain between 4-5. Same thing, when I back off on the volume it cleans up with grace.
So what am I saying here? Well, it's very well possible to stack these two pedals without having them sound harsh. It depends on how well the pedals and the amp get along.

Best.

/Sven
LR1400

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven S.-M. wrote:
No offence LR1400,
Oddos is very much into the Landau thing. Ask him anything about ML, - The dude has an answer to it all.
That said, ML uses the volume on the guitar a lot. So he can very well have the pedals kicked in without it sounding harsh. I saw him some months ago, sitting just 10 ft from him. And he had the SD9+Voodoo1 on using channel 2 most of the time, but when he backed of on the volume it cleaned up so nicely. It never sounded harsh, - just sweet and juicy. His Suhr pu's are a major part of this as well. But o/c he adds gain when using ch2 on the OD100. But it's not his main source of distortion, just a part of it.
I use a SD9 and a RC Booster which I run into a Suhr Badger gain between 4-5. Same thing, when I back off on the volume it cleans up with grace.
So what am I saying here? Well, it's very well possible to stack these two pedals without having them sound harsh. It depends on how well the pedals and the amp get along.

Best.

I agree Oddos knows the Landau talk for sure. He's helped me a lot.

So you saw him stacking them currently for sure into channel 2?

Cool
/Sven
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donīt forget his OD100 is a Classic and has a lot less gain than a typical OD100. When I saw him in Belgium and Holland earlier this year, he definitely was running the SD9 and Voodoo1 together, I think his volume pedal is also pre-gain so another possibility to alter the gain.

I think I need a Voodoo1 btw Laughing

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
juicemaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an RC Booster and a Voodoo-1 and they are both cool in their way and they both work just fine before or after my SD-9 and or VOP-9 (has anybody checked the VOP-9 yet? It's really great I think!), but the real bummer about the Voodoo-1 (at least on mine) are the potis...
crackle, crackel, crackle one of them is so bad now that it cuts out completely in certain positions. i never had that with any other pedal but the Voodoo-1...

I think I need an OD100classic much more than any other new pedal XD

Yours truly

Juice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: