Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Maxon Analogman SD-9
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Maxon Analogman SD-9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Strat wrote:
the internal trimpot at 9 o'clock

Does it have an internal trim? Damn I did not even read the manual!

What does it do?
juicemaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only the SD-9 with the special "analogman mid-mod" has an internal trimpot to dial in the mids seperately from the tone-knob on the outside
juicemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Strat wrote:
Found a great combo of the Analogman Maxon SD-9 and COT50 gold

Settings:
SD-9 first with gain at 11 o'clock, tone all the way off, volume dimed and the internal trimpot at 9 o'clock. Into COT50 with gain at 10 o'clock, tone all the way off and volume dimed.

Sounds great with volume knob between 4 and 8 (10 for a ridiculous amount of gain) on a strat.

By the way to come back to your original question, according to analogmans website 9o'clock on the midboost is the neutral setting like on the stock SD-9 Smile
how do you like the "improved" tone knob on the analogman SD-9? Does it help a lot?
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juicemaker wrote:
Jacob Strat wrote:
Found a great combo of the Analogman Maxon SD-9 and COT50 gold

Settings:
SD-9 first with gain at 11 o'clock, tone all the way off, volume dimed and the internal trimpot at 9 o'clock. Into COT50 with gain at 10 o'clock, tone all the way off and volume dimed.

Sounds great with volume knob between 4 and 8 (10 for a ridiculous amount of gain) on a strat.

By the way to come back to your original question, according to analogmans website 9o'clock on the midboost is the neutral setting like on the stock SD-9 Smile
how do you like the "improved" tone knob on the analogman SD-9? Does it help a lot?

I don't have the mid knob on mine, but I do have the Analogman mod'd version. I still never go above 9:00 on the tone knob.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melodic Dreamer wrote:

I don't have the mid knob on mine, but I do have the Analogman mod'd version. I still never go above 9:00 on the tone knob.

Have you had the chance to compare it against a stock SD-9? You should experience not quite as much scooped mids with the analogman-mod...?!?

The treble content doesn't change that much with the mod so it would make sence to still run the tone around 9o'clock but the mids aren't as scooped according to analogmans site. I was hoping someone could confirm this, as I think about eventually getting an analogman SD-9.
resha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm experiencing some trouble with my SD9 and wanted your impressions about that. I'm totally satisfied with the COT and this my main overdrive pedal, but I feel a loss of presence with my SD9. It gets stuck in my band's sound... I mean it is really difficult to cut through the mix with it. I'm probably using the wrong settings (dist at 2o'clock, level at max, tone at 9 o'clock) but if I lower the gain I'm almost unable to hear anything compared to the COT's volume (which I run at maximun bias).

I've seen a lot of demos of the suhr RIOT pedal, it seems great. Maybe too gainy, but a try should be needed! Anyone of you tried it? What's your impression?
juicemaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the main reason for the analogman mod! It gives you a bit more mids which are really important for the guitar to cut through.

On the other hand:
Landau and Henderson both use the stock version and never have any problems cutting through. Maybe your band is too loud Very Happy

The COT50 is a really LOUD pedal, try running it around 12 o' clock instead of full blast, more as a boost - thats how Landau uses it at least.

I have tried the Riot pedal several times, it is great for a certain sound but thats totally different from the SD-9 sound. And it sounds very polished to me, not raunchy and ballsy like the SD-9.
resha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're right. I got my hands on the Riot and it's a good pedal but it's not as raw and "furious" as the SD-9 is. The low end is totally different and to my ears it seems a bit compressed. Also the headroom does not compare to the SD-9's.

I'm wondering: what if I run the SD-9 at 18v?!
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juicemaker wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:

Have you had the chance to compare it against a stock SD-9? You should experience not quite as much scooped mids with the analogman-mod...?!?

The treble content doesn't change that much with the mod so it would make sence to still run the tone around 9o'clock but the mids aren't as scooped according to analogmans site. I was hoping someone could confirm this, as I think about eventually getting an analogman SD-9.

I have A/B/C-ed my AM SD9 with a newer Maxon and an old Ibanez SD9. My AM SD9 is a couple of years old and I love it.

Compared to the non-modded versions, it has a nicer mid range, itīs no TS but it has more mids than a stock Maxon. The old Ibanez sounded a tad better and was somewhere in between the 2 Maxons however, the tone control on the AM version actually works and doesnīt have to be off to sound good.

I use my SD9 with an old JMP Bass 50-watter and it has some great rock tones. I run gain at about 10:00 and volume around 1:00. I also thought the AM version worked better being boosted with another pedal than the 2 other versions. Iīm now running a LovePedal Eternity in front of the SD9 and together they give me a killer lead tone. I have a live-clip of this I need to post Laughing

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resha wrote:
Hi guys I'm experiencing some trouble with my SD9 and wanted your impressions about that. I'm totally satisfied with the COT and this my main overdrive pedal, but I feel a loss of presence with my SD9. It gets stuck in my band's sound... I mean it is really difficult to cut through the mix with it. I'm probably using the wrong settings (dist at 2o'clock, level at max, tone at 9 o'clock) but if I lower the gain I'm almost unable to hear anything compared to the COT's volume (which I run at maximun bias).

I've seen a lot of demos of the suhr RIOT pedal, it seems great. Maybe too gainy, but a try should be needed! Anyone of you tried it? What's your impression?

I think your problem is with the COT. You say the COT is your main OD and you have probably dialed in your amp to work well with it and the COT has a LOT of high end going. With the SD9 settings you posted, the SD9 will be compressing a lot and does loose some high end. Itīs not nearly as 'bright' as a COT.

AM SD9 could solve it but running the COT lower and re-adjusting your rig could also be the ticket.

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
resha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRiffenstein wrote:
I think your problem is with the COT. You say the COT is your main OD and you have probably dialed in your amp to work well with it and the COT has a LOT of high end going. With the SD9 settings you posted, the SD9 will be compressing a lot and does loose some high end. Itīs not nearly as 'bright' as a COT.

AM SD9 could solve it but running the COT lower and re-adjusting your rig could also be the ticket.

You're right man. That's what I've figured out after trying some other distortion pedals: any of them sounded as good as the SD-9, so the problem is not the pedal, but the setting. I'll lower a bit the gain on SD-9 and set my highest rig volume with it; then reduce a little the bias on the COT and work with my way with the volume pedal.

Also I'm getting a red COT soon (mine is blue), so I'll be able to tell the differences between them and find the best way to combine it with SD-9, which is my main goal at this point Smile
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, alittle update from me, I replaced the Maxon/Analogman SD-9 with an old stock Ibanez SD-9.
And the COT50 Gold with an COT50 Red, which sounds a hundred times better!
I do not have any problems cutting through the mix with the Ibanez, actually I find that it cuts better than my Analogman did? It seems to kind of clear up on higher volume in a way the other one didn't. I use the SD-9 almost exclusively for higher gain tones with the bridge humbucker in my strat and the COT with singlecoils. This way the EQ is balanced in a nice way and I can still get really bright or fat tones when I need it.
I use the combo both with my Marshall Super Lead and Fender Twin.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Jacob Strat!

I'll settle for a stock Maxon SD-9 too, the easy and the cheaper way Smile

but before that I'll try a great new pedal from germany called Vahlbruch Sapphire, I think that will be a real treat !!

I'll let you guys know Wink
resha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jacob Strat: which setting do you use on the SD-9?
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Juicemaker: You're welcome!

@Resha: Volume dimed to match the COT, cause that thing is LOUD as most of you must have noticed. Tone all the off and gain around 10 o'clock. So pretty much like Landau sets it. I use my volume knob a lot as vel as a post gain volumepedal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: