Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Landau's pickups
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Landau's pickups
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Landau's pickups Reply with quote

Hi,
i want to put on my Stratocaster 68 reissue a Michael Landau stack. just few thinks:

1. Mike uses Suhr FL Standard on neck and middle. Right?

2 Bridge is a Suhr SSV and non plus. Right?

3. I want to put the SSC backplate. anyone knows if is it possible to connect with humbucker?

4. Anyone knows about the Mike's wirings? it's the middle reversed polarity...humbucker is splitable? what about the pots?

Thank you very much

Shakti
resha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#101422/ML_Classic_Specs&bgcolor=black
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backplate does no difference to a humbucker, since these are allready humcancelling. The middle pickup is NOT reverse pole/reverse polarity, then the SSCN wouldn't work. And theres no split on the humbucker, mike is a simple man now a days.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Strat wrote:
The backplate does no difference to a humbucker, since these are allready humcancelling. The middle pickup is NOT reverse pole/reverse polarity, then the SSCN wouldn't work. And theres no split on the humbucker, mike is a simple man now a days.

Very true, but Mike isn't using the SSC system anymore.
resha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melodic Dreamer wrote:

Why? I've never tried it, but I've always thought it would cancel some frequencies because of the way Suhr explains its adjustment (via a little trigger or something similar, which I believe acts like the anti-feedback notch filter on some acuostics).

Have you got some experience on this point Melodic Dreamer? Smile
ahardmark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resha wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:

Why? I've never tried it, but I've always thought it would cancel some frequencies because of the way Suhr explains its adjustment (via a little trigger or something similar, which I believe acts like the anti-feedback notch filter on some acuostics).

Mike said in an interview last year that he thinks the SSC system cancels out some frequencies, and he doesn't mind dealing with a little single-coil hum.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahardmark wrote:
resha wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:

Mike said in an interview last year that he thinks the SSC system cancels out some frequencies, and he doesn't mind dealing with a little single-coil hum.

That's the interview.

For me personally though, I love it. I have mine set on a push-pull knob so I can dis-engage it if I feel like it.
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML is using V60s these days.

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRiffenstein wrote:
ML is using V60s these days.

John Suhr said that mike must have forgot and said the wrong thing, which is easy to do. In the recent interview he slipped up and said V60's instead of FL's. He has left the single - single - hum combination for 3 FL single coils now. John just sent him 3 to put in his Red Strat.

I still have V60's which are a tad bit Greasier. I thought about switching for the clarity, but I'll wait. I don't know which one I like more.
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update of John Suhr:
Mike tend to prefere hotter (slightly overwound) brigde PU, BUT it seems like he's switched almost all of his strats for 3 x Suhr FL's now.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted this in the HRI forum with clips, but I get very good results with 2 FL standard in neck and middle position and a V60LPbridge in the bridge postition.

I had a set of FL standard with the hot FL bridge PU but didn't like it much. The hot V60LP sounds better to my ears.
Idiotawind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: pus Reply with quote

so, Mike actually switched his bridge SSV pickup for a regular FL one?
I saw him oct 2009 in Graz in he had the same old set up (with SSV). And I assumed he liked the versatile factor of that set up.

I actually wanted to swap my bridge FL pickup with SSV in my Eric Johnson Strat, which means I would have to cut in wood. Would you guys even recommend?

Thanx A lot!

Oh an, by the way, which FL's does he have, classics?
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: pus Reply with quote

Idiotawind wrote:
I saw him oct 2009 in Graz in he had the same old set up (with SSV). And I assumed he liked the versatile factor of that set up.

I actually wanted to swap my bridge FL pickup with SSV in my Eric Johnson Strat, which means I would have to cut in wood. Would you guys even recommend?

Thanx A lot!

I would only do that if I was wanting the Humbucker sound. If your doing it just because Mike has it like that, then No!! I wouldn't.

Fuzz pedals sound better with a single, a clean tone sounds better with a single. If you like a lot of grease then I would go Humbucker. That's just me.
ahardmark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: pus Reply with quote

Idiotawind wrote:

Thanx A lot!

Mike uses the FL Standards. He's been using one in the bridge lately, instead of the SSV humbucker.

(* Note, Suhr just changed the name on Mike's single-coil pickups. The FL's are now called ML's. The pickups are still the same, only the name has changed.)
Idiotawind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Great help, thanks a lot to both of you!

Yes, I actually had a bit of an "idol moment" thinking, "if he has it, it's there for a reason".

I do have Gibson ES-335 Custom, so if I want a humbucker sound, I can always switch. I just thought, he uses it in the same song and suits to be as versatile as he can get.

How does one actually tell the difference between FL standard and classics (you see, I bought guitar used and partially because these pick ups were installed in such a wonderful guitar)? It just says Suhr FL on mine...

Renaming sounds cool... wonder if Fletcher had much to say about the sound really... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: