Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - How does Mike use the SD9 & COT50 ?
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

How does Mike use the SD9 & COT50 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the COT50 Gold I didn't get good results stacking them.. I've got the old white w/ red LED handwired version in the mail know and I'll let you know how they stack during the week..

Last edited by Jacob Strat on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought the SD-9 and COT50 to rehearsal yesterday, their great pedals, but they do not stack very well.. But I get the tones i need with the two individually and a Twin so I'm happy Smile
follow_the_music

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know anyway how Mike gets this great sounds out of the SD-9. I can't get out anything usable plus the distortion bleeds through when you switch it of.
the cot 50 is great, I got the white version with the blue led. But not very practical since you have to leave it on with settings higher then 9 o'clock. The difference in loudness is too much.
I use an old Marshall Bluesbreaker and a Okko Diablo. Bluesbreaker for slight, hairy Plexi Style Tone and the Okko for more Overdrive. And both together for screaming leads. A great combo:
http://www.palmenreich.at/Chain_Solo.mp3
this one is the Okko Diablo without BB:
http://www.palmenreich.at/River_Solo.mp3
resha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho the key to get a good sound out of a SD-9 is a starting tone completely clean, where you have really have to struggle against the strings to get a little crunchy sound. The volume knob on the guitar is fundamental too as the SD-9 can get really distorted, especially with hi-output humbucker and this can lead to a confused sound. Probably Mike uses the SD-9 with His guitar's volume knob at full only to get those over the top screaming distorted sounds.
I personally find it very confusing if you feed if with too much signal Smile
Phil ODendron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

follow_the_music wrote:
I dont know anyway how Mike gets this great sounds out of the SD-9. I can't get out anything usable plus the distortion bleeds through when you switch it of.
the cot 50 is great, I got the white version with the blue led. But not very practical since you have to leave it on with settings higher then 9 o'clock. The difference in loudness is too much.
I use an old Marshall Bluesbreaker and a Okko Diablo. Bluesbreaker for slight, hairy Plexi Style Tone and the Okko for more Overdrive. And both together for screaming leads. A great combo:
http://www.palmenreich.at/Chain_Solo.mp3
this one is the Okko Diablo without BB:
http://www.palmenreich.at/River_Solo.mp3

I think there are several keys to approach Mike's way of using the SD-9. In my opinion the 'magic' of this pedal really starts happening when you crank the (master) volume of your amp so the power tubes get pushed a little bit. I get the best results with my SD-9 when I use it with my old Super Reverb with it's volume on 6 or 7, which (as we all know) is pretty loud but still rather clean. With the addition of the extra amount of decibels and gain coming from the SD-9, the distortion gets this very natural, tube like quality, that only a few OD pedals seem to deliver.
The tube saturation the amp produces at loud volumes also seems to help the volume pot of your guitar to clean up even more nicely when rolled back.
The last time I saw Mike live (Autumn 2010) the SD-9 was on about 90% of the time, no kidding. Even the (maybe slightly crunchy) but still clean strat sounds on ballads like 6/8 Blues or Pitsfield Minor were achieved with the Maxon on and the guitar volume turned back.
So next time you're soundchecking and the FOH guy wants you to turn down your amp, smile at him and pretend being deaf! Smile
Or to put it in the words of someone reflecting about the exorbitant stage volumes at SRV-shows: 'yes it was loud, but it was a good loud!'

Another thing you might want to try is putting your volume pedal after the distortion to attenuate the output. Your guitar volume before and the volume pedal after the SD-9 will help you to obtain some of the tiny dynamic overdrive nuances Mike is famous for.
Good luck, I really hope that helps.

By the way, I'm also located in Austria (Vienna), so if you maybe want to hang out and talk gear sometimes while having a beer or three, please feel free to pm me.

Cheers, Alex
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil ODendron wrote:
So next time you're soundchecking and the FOH guy wants you to turn down your amp, smile at him and pretend being deaf! Smile
Or to put it in the words of someone reflecting about the exorbitant stage volumes at SRV-shows: 'yes it was loud, but it was a good loud!'
Cheers, Alex

Not to be an ass, but that advice is going to get you fired from gigs, get a THD Hotplate or simular insted. Yeah it takes a little away from the tone, but being too loud and rude to your employer doesn't lead anywhere..
Otherwise I totally agree with you here, the SD-9 totally accelerates into a cranked amp!
The COT does a great job with both clean Fender style amps and cranked Marshalls, great Hendrixy overdrive in that box !
Phil ODendron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Strat wrote:
Phil ODendron wrote:
Cheers, Alex

Not to be an ass, but that advice is going to get you fired from gigs, get a THD Hotplate or simular insted. Yeah it takes a little away from the tone, but being too loud and rude to your employer doesn't lead anywhere..
Otherwise I totally agree with you here, the SD-9 totally accelerates into a cranked amp!
The COT does a great job with both clean Fender style amps and cranked Marshalls, great Hendrixy overdrive in that box !

Yeah, of course you're absolutely right! Smile
But this was'nt intended to be a serious 'advice' (hence the smiley)
That said, I really do think that there's nothing like some air being moved.
Most of the players I like just don't seem to be happy with moderate stage volumes, and I kind of miss the days when rock guitar was supposed to be played loud Smile
I'm very aware of the fact that this is'nt always useful in many situations, but everytime I stand in front of Mike Landau's OD 100 or Hot Rod Deville, Robben Ford's Dumble or ,say, Chris Duarte's Marshall, I can't help but think: Man, these guys are cranking their amps for a reason!
Just my 2 cents
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really dug the sound of the SD9 straight into a clean channel at normal volume. If the power tubes of the amp are being pushed than you get that natural compression that works with the pedal. Plus having the SD9 push an amp that's already driven is great too. Actually that's the way I prefer it to be used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: