Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Missed the Landau/Ford Show!
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Missed the Landau/Ford Show!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDouglee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Missed the Landau/Ford Show! Reply with quote

Dammit!

Last edited by JDouglee on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Professor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Where?
JDouglee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by JDouglee on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Professor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes Arion setting from the gig!

alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there! Very Happy It was the first time I saw him live and it was virtually a religious experience for me. I've been a fan but I'm more into hardcore instrumental guitar music, so I liked a lot of some Mike's recordings I've heard, but seeing Mike live was something else altogether.Shocked Now I'm a total convert and you guys are going to have to deal with my gushing in here every now and then starting now! Very Happy

This show was really Robben's gig, so people were telling me that Mike was restrained, very polite and deferential towards Robben, but for me, Mike was it! The combination of tone, feel, phrasing, melodic creativity, spontaneity, refined chops, and sheer musicality was overwhelming to the point I was just watching with my mouth open in a state of virtual ecstasy during his long solos. There is a sophisticated beauty in Mike's playing that I've never heard in any other player before. I don't know how to describe it except that every note, every subtle bend and vibrato, and the whole flow of his playing just had beauty to it.

Robben and Mike were trading solos all night long and it was interesting and super inspiring to see Mike respond to Robben's amazing solos time and time again with something of his own that complemented what Robben just did. To me, Robben's thing was more lick-based in the blues and jazz idioms. This isn't criticizing what Robben did because every one of Robben's solos kicked butt. But when Mike took over, there was something different about Mike's solos altogether. Dare I say it, but there's something transcendental about Mike's playing. It was just like, "God damn... How could every note, every phrase and the whole flow and the structure be so perfect?!?"

Well, I'm still spinning over Mike's performance on this night. The next night I saw Holdsworth at his peak and that was another flight of ecstasy in a totally different kind of realm. But I now see where Mike stands in the pantheon of the greats. He's right up there with the likes of established masters such as Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, Pat Metheny, Scott Henderson, etc. as truly one of the modern greats, taking electric guitar playing to new heights of inspired expression.
Professor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I was there! Very Happy

Lucky you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: