Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Arion Chorus
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Arion Chorus
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveV60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Arion Chorus Reply with quote

Ok, first off, Happy New Year everyone! Now to my question... I just bought a Small Clone which sounds good but is noisy. I didn't want to pay $100+ on ebay for an Arion SCH-1. I may take the Clone back but want to know if anyone on here has tried the latest cheap Arion SCH-Z as well as the SCH-1 which is not available new anymore (i believe). What do you all think? Thanks in advance.
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve.
Happy New Year. Very Happy

About the Arion. I haven't tried the SCH-Z, but I've read several reviews testifying the SCH-Z sounded cheesy compared to the SCH-1. I have the SCH-1, and it really is the shit dude!
I would try to get it on Evilbay despite the price $100+. There's really no substitute for it. Rolling Eyes Good luck.

/Sven
gavin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Arion Fat Chorus SFC-1 Reply with quote

Sven,

Have you tried the SFC-1? - I have read Scott Henderson touts this unit as great
What do you think the difference between the SCH-1 and SFC-1 might be?

Regards,

Gavin
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gavin.

I've cruised the net a little and found this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=3c47f4ba1a54e66c0809691da4559d82&threadid=1431950&goto=nextnewest
It's not about the FAT CHORUS, but the SCH-Z. I read on Ebay that SFC-1 has a wider range, compared to ...? Anyway, it seems that those who have the FAT CHORUS like it a lot. And if Scotty likes it,- I'll take his word for it, cos' he's got some of the best ears in the music industry. Ask John Suhr!! Wink

Peace.
/Sven
juicemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents:

I had them both SCH-1 and SFC-1. I think they sound a lot the same but the Fat Chorus has a little "boost" somehow the signal gets louder when you activate it - I didn't like that but soundwise they are very similar. The SCH-1 indeed has a wider range control so to get that swirling effect that Mike often uses I think the SFC won't really do that...

These days I only use the Fulltone Choralflange - just sounds fine for me Smile

peace

the juicemaker
SteveV60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Bought an SCH-Z Reply with quote

I just received an SCH-Z from Mfriend. 15$ and possibly the best $15 you can spend on a pedal. I figured what the heck. Anyway. Yes as others have said it has a slight boost (very slight) and yes it does get bassier to the left but let me tell you what. THE setting is tone all to the right, rate and depth at 2 PM and you have Landau from Karizma-Document. I guess I may have received a good one or something. It suits me though. If I want a Leslie sound I like a little boost because I will usually fingerpick and roll off some treble as well. With the tone all the way clockwise there is hardly a difference in tone than with effect off. I unplugged it and the dynamics/tone/ and signal were the same as when plugged in. True bypass or not it sounds good. Thanks guys.
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Steve.
Main thing is you've got the wobble chorus/leslie we all dig sooo much. Very Happy

Peace.
/Sven
fusion58

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an SCH-Z Reply with quote

SteveV60 wrote:
I just received an SCH-Z from Mfriend. 15$ and possibly the best $15 you can spend on a pedal. I figured what the heck. Anyway. Yes as others have said it has a slight boost (very slight) and yes it does get bassier to the left but let me tell you what. THE setting is tone all to the right, rate and depth at 2 PM and you have Landau from Karizma-Document. I guess I may have received a good one or something. It suits me though. If I want a Leslie sound I like a little boost because I will usually fingerpick and roll off some treble as well. With the tone all the way clockwise there is hardly a difference in tone than with effect off. I unplugged it and the dynamics/tone/ and signal were the same as when plugged in. True bypass or not it sounds good. Thanks guys.

I have an SCH-Z and I concur with everything you just said. I use the pedal for recording and live dates and I'm very happy with it - I'm not sure why it gets dissed so hard. Cool
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an SCH-Z Reply with quote

fusion58 wrote:

I have an SCH-Z and I concur with everything you just said. I use the pedal for recording and live dates and I'm very happy with it - I'm not sure why it gets dissed so hard. Cool

Right on, Michael. If you say it's good, then it's good. Period!
Main thing is, that we're happy with our tone and sounds, right?!

Wobble on! Cool

/Sven

Last edited by Sven S.-M. on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
juicemaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an SCH-1 and I must confess that it pi$$es all over my Choralflange when it comes to the distinctive Landau-swirl Smile

Interesting, but this one reacts very different to the knob settings than the one I had before and the SFC-1 I previously owned...

Just thought that might be helpfull...

juicemaker
rocketail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][img][url][url][url][url]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:9LfPA4IIJiMJ:www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php%3Fproductid%3D17434%26bestseller+michael+landau+karizma-document&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4[/url][/url][/url][/url][/img][/img]

If you click on the above link and listen to the broken chords accompanying his lead solo - not the sound on his lead solo (which by the way is real nice too) from track 8 titlted 'I don't care', Michael nails that sound I asked how he got (one post down that I titled "mid '80's guitar/equipment on Bill Meyers Images album"). Please tell me that that's the Arion SCH-1 just set to a fast rate with a good deal of treble on the tone control. Does anyone know if it is or what he's using?[color=indigo][/color]
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketail.
That sound is his old Tri-Chorus with alot of delays on top (I suspect it's running into the retired/sold Fender Super Reverb amp in this clip). Don't think he uses it anymore. Not even in his Huge-Rack setup. It's probably in storage somewhere. You can see it pictures of his various 80's setups.

Click this and listen to track 1 Park Avenue. That's the Arion. A wobbly chorus like a fast Leslie. He uses another wobbly sound, like in track 8. BUT that's a Univibe and not the Arion. Killer cd. I love it.
http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17804&cat=0&page=1

Cruise around here. Lots of answers to be found. Also try www.hugeracksinc.com and use the search button. Plenty of Landau freaks there as well. Wink

Peace.

/Sven
Oddos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Arion Chorus Reply with quote

SteveV60 wrote:
Ok, first off, Happy New Year everyone! Now to my question... I just bought a Small Clone which sounds good but is noisy. I didn't want to pay $100+ on ebay for an Arion SCH-1. I may take the Clone back but want to know if anyone on here has tried the latest cheap Arion SCH-Z as well as the SCH-1 which is not available new anymore (i believe). What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

I had a Clone and a Sch-z. I never liked the "z". Couldn`t get it to work really. I sold the Clone when I got the Sch-1. I have several of them now. Very big difference!!!!!!!!!!

At the moment, on his small board, Mike`s replaced the Arion with a DLS RotoSIM.

btw. Mike still has his TWO!!! Super Reverbs. He just doesn`t use them that often right now. He used one of them on a blues gig not too long ago.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual Oddos is the scoop-meister Very Happy

thanks man !

peace, Tim
Sven S.-M.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Arion Chorus Reply with quote

Oddos wrote:
At the moment, on his small board, Mike`s replaced the Arion with a DLS RotoSIM.

btw. Mike still has his TWO!!! Super Reverbs. He just doesn`t use them that often right now. He used one of them on a blues gig not too long ago.

Cool info Oddos.
I know for a fact he sold one Fender. Maybe it was a Pro Reverb, can't remember. I saw it on a danish site, and it wasn't a scam. It was authenticated by Mike himself. As I remember, it went for DKR 15.000, approx. $2500. Sold to a dude here in Denmark. There was another item too, but I've forgotten what!

Yeah, the RotoSIM is on his humble floorboard now. Saw some pics from Tone Merchant or BP. And hey! No AC,- only batteries. He's such a teaser Wink

/Sven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: