Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Verb question
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Verb question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Verb question Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to reverb, never owned a reverb pedal, just used some spring reverb when I played a Fender amp.. I always just sticked with delays since I used gain sounds mainly.. But lately I've been using clean tones as well. And I would like some verb sounds tīlike Landau, always hated spring reverbs. I know that he uses an old MPX-1, but that is very difficult to find around here, so will a MPX-100, MPX-500, LPX series get me in the ballpark? Anything else, TC G-Major maybe?
juicemaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lexicon MPX 550 and with a little tweaking you can get pretty decent "Landau" sounds out of it. Mike uses his MPX-1 mainly for live playing. On recordings he uses a PCM60 if I am correct, and lately with James Taylor he simply used the Reverb of the amp and a Line6DL4 as far as I know. I think if you spend a little time with it, pretty much any decent 19" thingy will get you in the ballpark.
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I should just get any 19" that can run a large hall with a delay for the live tone? Doesn't Mike EQ his verb or anything?
juicemaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any DECENT 19" processor, not ANY Wink

Well even if he does EQ his Reverb, what will that do for you if you don't have his Guitar, Amp, Fingers, whatnot...? Any of the above mentioned devices have possibilities to dampen the highend of the delay and reverb according to your taste, some even the lowend.

You know, I saw him playing live a couple of times, and one time his trusted MPX-1 was causing some trouble, so in the break he swapped it for a Boss DD3 or DD5 I couldn't see it that close. Guess what? He sounded just as good in the second set...

I guess my whole point is, trust your ears to get the right sound that works for you.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Landau uses Hall, Room, Plate and Spring reverbs. I know he once asked John to build him an amp with Spring reverb.
So, it's all about how you use it and how it's mixed with the overall mix of whatever song it's used for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: