Mike Landau Discussion :: View topic - Maxon Analogman SD-9
Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index

Mike Landau Discussion
The Mike Landau Discussion Forum

www.mikelandau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Maxon Analogman SD-9
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Maxon Analogman SD-9 Reply with quote

Hi out there

I have, like a lot of other users of this forum im sure, found myself chasing Mikes tone alot lately. So i bought a Arion SCH-1 for the leslie thing, Uni-Vibe (unfortunatly not the Voodoo-Vibe+... yet Wink) and a Analogman modified Maxon SD-9 (which i got cheap), but when I set the controls like Mike, it was very dark sounding (yeah I know its got to be dark sounding with the tone control all the way off). Then I discovered the internal trimpot for midrange which did a big difference, does anyone no where the trimpot is set to stock mids?
And will I have to cascade the SD-9 into a Roger Mayer Voodoo-1 to get the tone? I tried cascading the SD-9 into a COT50 Gold by Lovepedal with bad results..

I know that pickups makes a difference too and amps ofcause, but im kinda short of money at the time..

By the way i play a Fender 60's Roadworn strat into either a Fender Twin or other clean amp or a semi-clean Orange tiny terror with a Marshall 4x12.
LordRiffenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the analogman modded version, you do not have to keep the tone control at 0 as it actually makes the tone control work much better than the original. It still can get buzzy and trebly with the tone near 12:00 or higher. I have my tone control set just below 9:00 and that works great but I run it slightly different then ML. Gain around 9:00 and volume just above 1:00. I use mine for a couple of things but prefer it to boost an already overdriven amp or another pedal. However, I think it also sounds great into a clean amp.

I didn't even know there is an internal mid trim pot! I would say, use your ears and not your eyes to set the controls on the pedal. I know that the original SD9s could sound very different from one to another and what works for Mike might not work exactly the same for you.

My site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRiffenstein wrote:
With the analogman modded version, you do not have to keep the tone control at 0 as it actually makes the tone control work much better than the original. It still can get buzzy and trebly with the tone near 12:00 or higher. I have my tone control set just below 9:00 and that works great but I run it slightly different then ML. Gain around 9:00 and volume just above 1:00. I use mine for a couple of things but prefer it to boost an already overdriven amp or another pedal. However, I think it also sounds great into a clean amp.

I didn't even know there is an internal mid trim pot! I would say, use your ears and not your eyes to set the controls on the pedal. I know that the original SD9s could sound very different from one to another and what works for Mike might not work exactly the same for you.

Well I did set the mid trim by ear, but the only setting that seems to have enough clarity seems to be pretty mid boosted. I know that stock the SD-9 is a bit mid scooped. With my amp and guitars, it gets too nasally, with the midrange up and too dark when I keep it down..

By the way, not all of the Analogman SD-9's have a trimpot.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mike's SD9 is not modded at all. On that note, I recently managed to create some nice "Landau-tones" reminding me of the "we are the best band" era with a Tonefreak effects Abunai2 pedal... I really dig that one!
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juicemaker wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mike's SD9 is not modded at all. On that note, I recently managed to create some nice "Landau-tones" reminding me of the "we are the best band" era with a Tonefreak effects Abunai2 pedal... I really dig that one!

You are right, Mike use a stock SD-9 (I think he change from an old Ibanez to the newer Maxon version lately), that's why I'd like to know how the stock version sounds.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the stock Maxon SD9 and it sounds great as long as you keep the tone under 9o'clock. I would not call it mid-scooped in that region of tone setting.
I do the following: switch to bridge-pickup, dial in the treble on the amp, turn on the SD9 and regulate the tone to be not fizzy and harsh in the treble. If find it to be really pleasant in the mids and almost to strong in the bass that way.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally I go through a huge Landau listening kick. Which in return makes me pull out my Suhr Strat, Od100 Classic+ and SD9 set like Landau's personal settings. When I use Landau's settings there is a ton of Gain. Way to much for me. I know he rides the volume knob and the volume pedal, but still!
juicemaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally ?? It should be mandatory to listen to him at least once a day!
Makes you a better, more humble human beeing!

Laughing

Joke aside maybe adjust it more to what you wanna hear, than to what you consider Mike's favorit settings?

-Not all SD9s behave exactly the same
-He plays with a pretty light touch mostly
-Maybe to much gain from the amp already?

all the best!
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juicemaker wrote:
Occasionally ?? It should be mandatory to listen to him at least once a day!
Makes you a better, more humble human beeing!

Laughing

Joke aside maybe adjust it more to what you wanna hear, than to what you consider Mike's favorit settings?

-Not all SD9s behave exactly the same
-He plays with a pretty light touch mostly
-Maybe to much gain from the amp already?

all the best!

Well, I don't go for his sound in particular, I don't want to be to much of a fan boy. lol Na, I have my own sound that is right for my fingers. But when I do try for the Landau thing, I set it up like all the pictures.
I put the Classic Plus's gain on 5 with the boost off. The Sd9's volume dimed and the gain around 10:00 and it's just way to much, plus his pickups are hotter than mine. lol I just have a DSV while he has the SSV.

So I back the SD-9's gain all the way off and it still has a good amount of boost.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the John Suhr website the DSV and SSV are equal in output just different in EQ and tone.

I tried the SD9 in a recording session yesterday, through the cot50 into a bunch of different tops going through a 212 cab. The one sound everybody including myself liked best, was the Abunai2 by Tonefreak effects going through the cot50 set at around 10 o'clock, into the Suhr Badger18 with the powersection maxed and the gain fairly low. Holy Guacamole!!
The SD-9 would not stand a chance I am afraid to say.

With the cot50 by itself I could get very close to the sound Mike used during most of the J.Taylor Tour in 2009. Just roll back on the guitar or play lighter, this beast is so incredibly dynamic, but I am hijacking this SD9 thread, sorry Smile

but you are right the SD9 has a fair amount of distortion even when set to "zero" and after One o'clock there is not much happening gainwise
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Analogman mod'd SD-9 that I think I'm going to trade off for something else.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna do your ears a big favour? Try the Tonefreak effexts Abunai2! No, I am not affiliated, just immensly impressed!
Jacob Strat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a great combo of the Analogman Maxon SD-9 and COT50 gold

Settings:
SD-9 first with gain at 11 o'clock, tone all the way off, volume dimed and the internal trimpot at 9 o'clock. Into COT50 with gain at 10 o'clock, tone all the way off and volume dimed.

Sounds great with volume knob between 4 and 8 (10 for a ridiculous amount of gain) on a strat.
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about trading it for awhile, but I can't find anything that gooses the front end of a dirty amp as good as the SD9.
juicemaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent the past month with my buddy in his recording studio, taking rounds of playing and listening to overdrives and distortion pedals, both miced and direct... We went through everything we could get our hands on that was available on short notice (ruling out the Centaur and the King of Tone for example) and in our line of interest.

One pedal that we kept coming back to was the Okko Twinsonic. I don't know if anybody here is familiar with it, since it's a small german company.

The Twinsonic does not have the amount of gain the SD9 has but it sounds a lot (!) broader and deeper and it has a switchable boost with seperate controls which in itself is great to push a slightly driven amp over the edge.

It is my main pedal for crunchy rhythm stuff to moderate leads.

Another small german company called TubeThomsen makes a really awesome pedal in the "Tubescreamer" area but with more gain, volume and a highly usable range on the Tone knob, very musical sounding with lots of overtones and actually one of the best "Screamers" I ever played. This one really sings!

keep rocking

Juicemaker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike Landau Discussion Forum Index -> Michael Landau Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: