Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Any opinions would be gratefully recieved!

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Any opinions would be gratefully recieved!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Any opinions would be gratefully recieved! Reply with quote

I saw in an earlier post that you're not too opposed to guitarists asking opinions on playing, performance etc.
If you have the time I'd really appreciate any opinions good or bad on some of my stuff.
We (the band) just completed a project whereby a music production offered to pay for a band recording provided they chose the songs and could release a different version of the album in their catalogue (long story1)
We recorded mostly blues/rock covers, some SRV and managed to slide a couple of originals in.
Anyway I haven't uploaded anything before so bear with me, I put it on megaupload.com and here's the link apologies if it doesn't work (if so I'll try something if anyone has any suggestions)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=142C584X

(it's voodoo chile btw)

Thanks in advance
Ron S
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a download. In the meantime, I would advise you to use www.soundclick.com, the free band website where you can upload MP3's. It works well and it ranks your songs in a chart every week. Also you don't have to worry about waiting to download the song, like on this website.
Ron S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll give that one a try.
Very Happy
Ron S
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, initially this just sounded like a hard rock version of voodoo chile, but I like what you've done with it. The intro section seemed a bit...I dunno, I felt it needed more energy and it was too flat and standard. Not that it was bad but it just didn't have the "kick in the balls" that it should. Vocals I thought were pretty good, and honestly I thought it was Jonny Lang for a second. Cool The only thing I didn't like is they seemed to really stick out from the rest of the song, in terms of the mix... I think the vocal track could have been blended better with the rest of the song so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The guitar part was good but I didn't particularly care for the tone. That's just a personal preference though (and coming from an SRV nut, there is only ONE good tone. lol) so don't worry about it. I really liked the solo section in the middle (where it got quiet) because that's where I felt you took the song and made it your own. The distinctively NOT-SRV solo techniques were a welcome change over everyone who likes to copy the slow part note for note.

All in all I think this was a pretty good recording. The singer is very good, and with talent like that you guys could go places!
Ron S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Cheers V13, really helpful. Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13
Thanks for the critique, it is interesting to hear your views and I know exactly where you're coming from with them.
Personally I'm happy with the tone but as you say it's all in what the individual is searching for.
Thanks for the kudos on the singing (it's me) I haven't been singing too long and am still finding a voice.
If you're interested in hearing more then I also uploaded 'Chevrolet' and 'Crossroads', here are the links. Again I'd appreciate your thoughts as you seem to know what you're listening to (like I said I do see what you're saying esp. with the mix issues, may remix).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=017HSKCU (Crossroads)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=068D7S3V (Chevrolet)

Btw the setup on all the tunes is: '64 strat-Ts9-cranked Laney LC-15-2x12 Eminence cab.

Cheers
Ron
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but the download time is giving me 14 hours for such a huge file on a bad server. Maybe I'll try later.
Ron S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Sorry, wrong link! Reply with quote

Sorry bout that. Try These.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=18MCPFWT Crossroads
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=068D7S3V Chevrolet
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=18WFNYPV Lovin' Cup

Ron S
62strat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, does your band have a website? Crossroads sounds really good I didn't get a chanc eto listen to anything else. If you have a site throw up a link I'd like to check it out. Where does your band play?
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap man! If you've got a full CD just tell me where to send money. lol

Crossroads is rockin for sure. I love the vocals. Guitar is sounding great. The only thing is I think the slow part should have slowed down a bit. There didn't seem to be a tempo change at all. The whole song was really driving which was good in the fast parts...however I think there could be an incredible build up from the slow/quiet part into the ending.
Great guitar solo and I like your tone on this recording a LOT more than before. It's more bluesy for sure. One slight thing is the drums sounded to 'sterile' and hollow, almost like a drum machine. I can't place what it is; it's a hard to describe.

Chevrolet is also rockin' and once again, I love the vocals. Man, why haven't I heard of you before!? Surprised It's got a real funky feel and the bass track is groovin hard.

I haven't downloaded the last track yet but I'll definately check it out later. Upload more songs man! I'm gonna send these to my MP3 player. Cool
Ron S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: RSB Recordings Reply with quote

62strat: Thanks, I do have a website, although none of these songs are on there. The site sort of advertises my various acts. I do a solo act, a duo and a 3-piece band. We just play in Norfolk, UK doing pubs, clubs, functions etc. So although the band's heart is in Blues/Rock we more often than not end up having to do party stuff (I need to pay the mortgage Crying or Very sad ) Feel free to check it out.
www.sayermusic.co.uk

vaughanabe13: Cheers again. Glad you like crossroads (poss my favourite). I'll try to upload some more soon (It takes ages on my pathetic dial-up connection,broadband soon Very Happy ) You have a good ear man! I know what you mean about the drums, I put it down to over-use of compression, also I think if we'd used a bigger room and an ambient mike it would have sounded 'more live'.

Cheers
Ron Sayer
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think there was too much reverb in the snare and toms, a little too much compression in the cymbals. I'm not sure if that can be attributed to the space you were playing in, the sound editing, or both. But yeah, otherwise it was great.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to crossroads right now. Diggin' it for sure Cool

Rock on' brotha, I really like what you did to it. But I have to agree with V-13, the symbals sound terrible. Especially during the solo, it kind of hurts my ears.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you Razz

It is against the rules to post clips of music without telling us what gear you used Wink
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheers V13, really helpful. Reply with quote

Ron S wrote:

Btw the setup on all the tunes is: '64 strat-Ts9-cranked Laney LC-15-2x12 Eminence cab.

Cheers
Ron

Troy, it's a good thing nobody's breakin' the rules! lol
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you Razz

It is against the rules to post clips of music without telling us what gear you used Wink

LOL...wow. Must have been an off day Wink Razz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: