Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Sparkle Drive.....

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Sparkle Drive.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
TTrahan wrote:
The big string theory is not really a big deal.

this is true as well, although you cant deny the fact that the more metal there is vibrating over the pickup, the more sound you are going to get coming out. Plus lighter strings are harder to keep in tune. I think 11's are the perfect string size that alot of people tend to use (although 12's are ok too). They arent so big to where you will get arthritis playing on them, and they arent too thin to where they wont stay in tune if you bend them like crazy.

Yeah Vince. But I think the common misconception is that someone that can't really achieve big tone will get it if they use big strings. Thats not gonna happen. If someone already has the SRV style attack, they will sound big regardless of the string size...

The difference between 9s and 12s is bigger than say the difference between 11s and 12s. But the OVERALL difference is still not big enough IMO to warrant practice and strength training to be able to bend big ass strings, LOL... Razz
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Troy): Its all about your attack...
The only way big gauge strings will benefit you is if you can throw them around well enough...
Aggressive, precise attack will be the most important thing in achieving a BIG sound...

I agree w/those comments, I think that it's mostly HOW you play the guitar...
or the "it's mostly in the hands" theory (and no, you don't have to have big hands).
That's not to say that the equipment being used isn't important, it is, of course,
to a certain extent-but your attack/style/agressiveness is more important
(to me, because I'm only giving an opinion-that's it).

Danny

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/smokestacklightning_music.htm
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:

so basically what you are saying is that all the rest of your gear isint up to the quality of a MEXICAN strat? dont get me wrong i've played some decent mexican strats, but i've done research on them and they are only a step or 2 higher than a squier as far as manufacturing is concerned. I HAD an OD-808 (its priced a little high) and it thought it was one of the best overdrives I've ever used, and i STILL use a vox wah and i love it. Hate to break it to you bro but its not mostly your guitar that gives you your tone.

Excuse me, but I was talking to everyone who isn't an idiot and who has seen my SRV strat. It is actually NOT a mexican guitar anymore - the only original part is the body (minus most of the finish). Everything else has been replaced, which is what brings me to my point; as I replaced the parts I noticed my tone fattening up more and more. I didn't change my playing style from what it had been before (I play very aggresively as SRV did) but the tone WAS changing, quite dramatically.

So as I said before, the guitar has a HUGE impact on your tone. Everything works in tandem with everything else so not one thing will determine tone. I am simply pointing out the fact that most people seem to be ignoring: it's not all about what overdrive pedals you use or what brand of tubes you have. Most of it comes from your playing and your guitar. As I was trying to point out, even though my Peavey Classic 50 amp is no cranked Vibroverb, it can still run with the best of them in terms of tone.

Hopefully you will read my post and actually hear what I have to say this time.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you guys Razz

Its mostly the player, period.

V-13, you wouldn't get dick for tone if you didn't have the touch that you do...so there! I'll use your own skill against you..LOL.

Its the same with me, Vince, Stevie, Jimi, Jay, Danny, etc...

Oh and Danny....where's my CD? Wink
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true, but not every guitar is made equal and I'm not like some guitarists who can pick up an old beater or any random guitar and play exactly as if it was their own.

I guess the answer to this question is that there is no definitive answer. Everyone is different.
62strat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO WHO WANTS TO SELL ME THERE VAN ZANDT ROCKS??????????

I would still like to get another OD pedal of some sort, just for a little extra and/or something different.

I LVOE YOU GUYS......

TROY why you puttin Stevie and Jimi before my name? You little BEYYYYYYYYYYOTCH??? LOL Mr. Green I just wanted to get in on some of that aggression......
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.guitar-mod.com or www.griblinengineering.com (cheaper) and get some Van Zandt Rocks or Fralin Blues Specials (my two favorite pickups sets, hehe) with the custom harness. In my opinion the harness is a necessity, but it's up to you and how much you wish to spend. I personally think it's worth every dollar.
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
Oh and Danny....
where's my CD? Wink
Oh I'm sorry dude, just been real busy
this past week-but it'll/they'll be on the way there
as soon as I can, promise. Later,

Cool Danny

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/smokestacklightning_music.htm
TTrahan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,

Its cool bro, I was kidding anyways.

Jay,

My bad bro! I felt bad for SRV and Jimi...they always new you were better than them, so I thought I'd try to boost their confidence a little!!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:

Excuse me, but I was talking to everyone who isn't an idiot and who has seen my SRV strat. It is actually NOT a mexican guitar anymore - the only original part is the body (minus most of the finish). Everything else has been replaced, which is what brings me to my point; as I replaced the parts I noticed my tone fattening up more and more. I didn't change my playing style from what it had been before (I play very aggresively as SRV did) but the tone WAS changing, quite dramatically.

So as I said before, the guitar has a HUGE impact on your tone. Everything works in tandem with everything else so not one thing will determine tone. I am simply pointing out the fact that most people seem to be ignoring: it's not all about what overdrive pedals you use or what brand of tubes you have. Most of it comes from your playing and your guitar. As I was trying to point out, even though my Peavey Classic 50 amp is no cranked Vibroverb, it can still run with the best of them in terms of tone.

Hopefully you will read my post and actually hear what I have to say this time.

i actually just looked at the page you made about your music, and i looked at the pics of your guitar. i think its a cool thing you tried to do and it looks funky (alot like the new srv fender) thats for sure....but one piece of advice. dont ever even think about going anywhere NEAR texas to even attempt to play with that guitar. that being said...lets move on.

although i highly disagree with your comment about your guitar having the most to do with the tone you get, i will agree that everything you use does work in tandem with everything else. Jeff Healy had GREAT tone in his day and all he used were 80's squiers. I have an ad of him endorsing them from a 87 issue of Guitar Player. It was the type of guitar PLUS the type of pickup (he used seymour duncans alot) and amp combo. You and I both know for a fact that if you took your guitar, plugged it into a shitty crate 1x8 solid state amp it would sound like shit no matter how you played. Thats great that you get a good tone out of a decent amp. more power to you!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i also have a set of original reverse wound van zandt "jimi" pickups that im lookin to move. $125 plus shipping for anyone who's interested.
62strat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they the Van Zandt Woodstock PUPs? I looked everywhere for info on JIMI Van Zandts and couldn't find anythin but I know that the woodstock pups are fashion'd after jimi's woodstock guitars pickups. JUST WONDERING.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A GOOD SET OF PICKUPS THAT THEY WANT TO MOVE??? preferably Van Zandt Rocks, Vintage Plus, or Blues or Fralin Blues or Rio Grande's......Let me know..
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
are they the Van Zandt Woodstock PUPs? I looked everywhere for info on JIMI Van Zandts and couldn't find anythin but I know that the woodstock pups are fashion'd after jimi's woodstock guitars pickups. JUST WONDERING.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A GOOD SET OF PICKUPS THAT THEY WANT TO MOVE??? preferably Van Zandt Rocks, Vintage Plus, or Blues or Fralin Blues or Rio Grande's......Let me know..

YES!!! those are exactly what they are. Not really my style of sound but killer for anyone who digs that era of hendrix tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: