Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - SRV's Guitars: Questions

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

SRV's Guitars: Questions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: SRV's Guitars: Questions Reply with quote

What do you guys think about making this thread a "Questions about SRV's axes" thread?

I have a few questions, so I'll go first.

1. I've alway had some thoughts about building a guitar with the Dano Lipstick pickups in it. Do the Dano pickups require special routing and a special pickgaurd?

2. In the 1985 New Jersey concert I have, SRV plays a red guitar (that isn't Lenny) with a black pickgaurd. Any ideas if this is the guitar "Red", but with a different pickgaurd?

He also plays scotch during that concert, but it was before he put that tortoise shell looking pickgaurd on it.

Cheers,

Troy
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Any single coil pickup will drop into an existing single coil setup. Any humbucker will drop into a humbucker slot. The only thing that wouldn't work is trying to put a humbucker in a single coil slot. To do that the guitar body would need to be rerouted for the pickup to fit. Otherwise any single coil pickup should fit with no extra routing or pickguards necessary.

2. My guess is you were seeing Red in that video. SRV was known to change his pickguards from time to time (after all, the original Number One Pickguard was white, I believe, until he replaced it with the black one we all know). My guess is he was in a transition stage and was experimenting with different gear and looks.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info about the pickups.

I agree that the guitar is "Red". Glad to know someone thinks the same.

Was "red" also the guitar that he occasionally had a reverse headstock on?
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I'm not sure of...anyone?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some info on the reverse headstock dilemma concerning "Red"..

From Custom Sounds

Stevie even but a lefthanded neck to Red. Red originally had a right-handed, rosewood neck. I remember it was late 1986 when Stevie put a lefty neck on Red. In February, 1987 it was lefthanded, you can see that on many photos and videos.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
1. Any single coil pickup will drop into an existing single coil setup. Any humbucker will drop into a humbucker slot. The only thing that wouldn't work is trying to put a humbucker in a single coil slot. To do that the guitar body would need to be rerouted for the pickup to fit. Otherwise any single coil pickup should fit with no extra routing or pickguards necessary.

dude no disrespect but you need to know what you are talking about before you rattle stuff off. Lipstick tube pickups WILL NOT fit in place of a single coil pickup. A different sized pickguard WILL be nesessary if you want to put them into a strat. I've been told this by several people (including Rene Martinez) because I've also been curious about having them in a strat. Apparently the shape and size of the pickup covers are slightly larger than a normal single coil pickup.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok smart guy, then find me a Fender pickguard with larger-than-normal single coil slots.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Ok smart guy, then find me a Fender pickguard with larger-than-normal single coil slots.

umm this is where you have to shave off the plastic on the inside of the pickup slots until the lipstick tubes fit. thats why Fender never put any lipstick tubes in their guitars...because they were originally made for danelectro guitars. any other smart remarks?
59strat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Russell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere (Sorry for the cliche) that a problem developed with No1 during the recording of Texas Flood (the album). Because of the tone of the guitar on that particular album I think it was Charley through the Dumble. Its quite a trebly sound; SRV's sound did seem to go a bit smoother on later albums.

I have an SRV No. 1 I've made, and without Texas Specials (83 Strat pick ups) it sounds really close to Texas Flood (through ANY amp!). I wonder if this could be swimming pool routing. Its got all SRV parts, but its not a Fender body.

I played a few signature Strats (inc. SRV) in Birmingham recently and they were all crap. They were on a Fender stand, so its unthinkable they weren't set up properly.
Deezer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it wasn't Charley. Stevie obtained Charley in 1984. Hence the inscription on the back of the headstock by Charley Wirz: To Stevie Ray Vaughan: More in '84. However, you might be referring to In Step. He used a white Strat with a Tele neck. He said in an interview that the high e string was vibrating badly, and that Number One's neck was wearing out. I think this was before the new neck job Number One got. Didn't it get broke in 1990 a few weeks before he died? And then Rene replaced it with the neck off of Scotch or something like that. I'm pretty sure that's right, but I'm not 100%. However, I am certain it was not Charley on Texas Flood.

Oh, by the way, I'm new, but not new to Stevie. Love the man and his music. Y'all take care.
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!!! Thanks Deez - I Stand corrected!
rockindillo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
Vaughanabe13 wrote:

umm this is where you have to shave off the plastic on the inside of the pickup slots until the lipstick tubes fit. thats why Fender never put any lipstick tubes in their guitars...because they were originally made for danelectro guitars. any other smart remarks?

Sorry to say this, but you've BOTH got it a bit wrong, chaps!

Original Dano lipstick pickups are a good bit (probably 10mm) longer than Strat pickups. This means not only do the pickguard slots have to be opened out, but you also need to rout out bigger pickup cavities in the body - so much so that the middle pickup cavity almost extends all the way to the edge of the pickguard.

Even then, if it's original Dano pickups you're fitting, you'll need to modify the pickups, themselves too, as on Dano guitars, they don't hang off the pickguard, but rather, fix into the guitar from the rear.

It can be done - Owen used to have a Jap '62 reissue at one time that had been professionally modified to take lippys. Nice-looking axe, too - Olympic white with a nice red torty scratchplate and it sounded great, too.

But it's not all bad news guys - and V13 isn't totally wrong either... You can also actually buy lipstick pickups that will drop straight into a Strat - they're not Dano units, but they sound pretty close and have much the same vibe. I've got a feeling Seymour Duncan do one. If not, there's a firm in the UK called Kent Armstrong who make them. Check out this url:http://www.wdmusic.com/split_tube_guitar_13626_ctg.htm
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: