Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - John Mayer and the blues?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

John Mayer and the blues?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoo364

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife dragged me to a Mayer concert last year. Mayer can really play and his tone is great!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
My wife dragged me to a Mayer concert last year. Mayer can really play and his tone is great!

That bastard makes me want to buy a Two Rock CR Sig, lol.

Too bad I will NEVER drop that much coin on one amp Rolling Eyes
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those MP3 clips are great!!! Im a huge JM fan so thanks for that link! awesome cover tunes.
DrivingUp85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: John Mayer Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new.

Anyway, down to the details, I really got into SRV because I liked John Mayer's music a lot. I had heard of SRV for a long time, but never really checked his stuff out. But after a while I decided to download some tunes off the net which eventually led me to go out and buy the Austin City Limits DVD. I was completely floored! That was like 6 months ago and I've been blown away ever since! In any case I was ecstatic when I heard John Mayer was doing a blues tour with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan. Anyway, the concert last Wednesday was incredible. The guy can certainly play. No Stevie Ray, but nobody is. Anyway, if you haven't checked it out or given it a listen definitely do. He's got two songs on iTunes also that are worth the 99 cents.
johnnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am huge fan of Stevie and have been since 20 years. Until very recently, I have only known John Mayer from the pop stuff on the radio, but I bought Clapton's Crossroads Festival DVD and Mayer was on there playing like hell, i was impressed..he definatley stduied his Stevie and Jimi quite well... I will be keeping an eye on john Mayer now. Am glad to hear that he is planning a blues album...he is the kind of person who is in a unique position to bring the blues back to more mainstream, like Stevie did.
Deezer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His new cd as the John Mayer Trio, TRY!, is really good. It's still quite poppish, you will never hear me call it blues, but it definitely has more teeth to it. Who Did You Think I Was is a great blues/rock track with a pop sheen to it. The video is playing on VH1 now. He's definitely making way better music than he used to. I hope he continues along this line.
sprucio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Got a brand new blues Reply with quote

From the song "Who Did You Think I Was," John says "Got a brand new blues that I can't explain."

From the Try! CD, it's one that exploits his talents. "Out of My Mind" is just mind boggling but there are other bootleg CDs that also feature other songs on his ES335.

So while he does favor strats, it seems like he is going for more diverse sound.
Jonkabon420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People these days...

Its sad to see everyone so narrow minded about their blues. What most dont realize is that Mayer and Stevie are doin the same thing. They're putting the blues out there to audiences who wouldnt really venture into the blues thing. Stevie put the blues on the radio for the first time in years. Another thing you gotta take up is that Mayer is alot younger in his prime than Stevie was. A twenty somethin' kid givin the blues a breath of fresh air. Killer tone, mad chops, the ladies love him... Hes better than Jonny Lang Confused Confused Confused...

-Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deezer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily say he's better than Jonny Lang, maybe as a guitar player possibly, but that's never what Jonny's strength was anyway. As a singer, Jonny has few equals among his peers and heroes.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deezer wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say he's better than Jonny Lang, maybe as a guitar player possibly, but that's never what Jonny's strength was anyway. As a singer, Jonny has few equals among his peers and heroes.

John is a FAR superior guitarist to Jonny Lang and Jonny lang is a FAR superior singer to John Mayer.

but John Mayer is a FAR superior songwriter as well so I believe he's a better all-around musician.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John does not have the blues. The blues has a raw, real feel that can't be learned or faked. While it's not the hardest thing to play on guitar and much of it is the same notes over and over, it's the feel and the way it's played that makes it the blues.

John is a good guitar player, well schooled in playing guitar. But, he does not have that Blues feel, he's pop. Jonny Lang has the blues and has had the Blues for many years. Go check the album Smokin' and listen to him sing and play the Blues as young kid. Check him out doing Good Morning Little School girl or A Quitter Never Wins and compare that to anything on the TRY album like, Out of my mind.

Then to mention John in a sentence with Stevie is just wrong. John will never play like Stevie or get the respect from the Blues fathers like Stevie did. Stevie was the Blues and could play it like no one else. It just flowed out of his soul.

If you want to hear some young guys really play the Blues, check out Joe Bonamassa or Henry Garza of the Los Lonely Boys.

Redhouse
Deezer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, considering Jonny's last album, I think his songwriting improved drastically. Considering the fact that that was the first album that he did where wrote the majority of the songs. I think stuff like Give Me Up Again, If We Try, and and a couple of others were really well written. But that's just me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: