Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - LENNY GUITAR

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

LENNY GUITAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Note indeed! i'll take you up on that pint...you could be seeing us in the UK hopefully before the end of this year. Also dont pay much attention to those recordings on my website...i recorded those when I was 15 (about 6 years ago) if you want to hear something fairly recent go to www.myspace.com/vinceesquire and check out my song called "Higher Level" its a rough mix vocally and its not mastered at all, but its got some better playing on it towards the end. the final mix will be on my album comin out later this year.

ok i got one for you...

Q. whats the range of a fretless bass???

A. 30 to 40 feet if you get a good swing on it.
Russell

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad..

But...

How do you know when a vocalist is at your front door?

He don't know when to come in.

Robert Cray is at The Jazz Cafe next week. I'm gigging (damn). Its a real small venue (200-300).

Clapton (sorry) , has a habit of getting up and jamming with him in London aswell.

Saw Sherman Robertson (Wife jammed with him - shes sax) the other month. In a pub in Nottingham (150 people!!) It was packed!

It gets me down when you see the El Mocambo; all my favourite SRV tapes are early ones! (Chefs/ Harlings etc.)

Have you heard of Martin Taylor? Hes a v. good jazz guitarist over here whos just got the MBE for services to jazz! Im not keen though - I like Kenny Burrell and Grant Green, but not George B. or Wes. I can listen to Bird and Kind of Blue and Ben Webster all day though. Tell your dad I once asked Micheal Brecker where his spit valve was. (Its a sax players joke but true!).

Tell me where you're playing - I'll spread the word. Joe B. played the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham. Helped his band loading the gear (Joe himself strangely dissapeared!). Seek out RAW promotions in Derby. (Allan Woolley). The guys here like rock in thier blues aswell!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q. how many vocalists does it take to change a lightbulb???

A. one...he holds the bulb while the world revolves around him.

I believe George Benson and Wes Montgomery are 2 of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time, and it's because they have a solid foundation in the blues.

I hung out with Joe B. in Austin Texas (when i lived there) at Antones about 2 years ago and his live show was really good, even though his drummer's dad was ailing and his bass player was covered in poison ivy rashes...the band was kind of in disarray that night and I think it was coming to an end with those guys. I know Joe's current bass player Mark Epstein (who played with Johnny Winter for 10 years) really well....he produced my first record and i have done many gigs with him (he toured California with me a couple years ago as well as went on tour opening for Little Feat with me as well).

I believe SRV's best tone ever was in the El Mocombo video. It was stripped down and some of the most gut-wrenching i've ever heard out of anyone. Thats my fave SRV video I have and I have about 60 bootleg vids.
Russell

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison Ivy rashes?

Kissing Uma Thurman?

I know what you mean about the jazzier stuff - Its nice to hear blues without E5/A5/B5!!!

Our bassist likes George Benson, but he's a bit smooth for me.

Spot on with EM Video - thats my favourite Texas Flood. I love Hug You, Squeeze you too. Theres the good German one aswell where he's coked out but very good - esp. on Tin Pan Alley.

I know what you mean about the rock thing - we go down best if we stick 'You Really Got Me' or some such as an encore; its cheating, but you need to get rebooked!

How do you know when a harp players at your front door?

He can't get the key!
Ron S

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Can't resist! Reply with quote

How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player just does it with his left hand!

What do you throw to a drowning bass player?

His amp!

Or drummers!

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless!

What does a drummer use as birth control?

His personality!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't resist! Reply with quote

Ron S wrote:
How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player just does it with his left hand!

What do you throw to a drowning bass player?

His amp!

Or drummers!

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless!

What does a drummer use as birth control?

His personality!

what has 3 legs and an asshole?

a drum stool!

what does a stripper do with her asshole before she goes to work?

she drops him off at his gig!

whats the difference between a guitarist and a large pizza?

a large pizza is able to feed a family of four for a week!
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell wrote:
Poison Ivy rashes?

Kissing Uma Thurman?

I know what you mean about the jazzier stuff - Its nice to hear blues without E5/A5/B5!!!

Our bassist likes George Benson, but he's a bit smooth for me.

Spot on with EM Video - thats my favourite Texas Flood. I love Hug You, Squeeze you too. Theres the good German one aswell where he's coked out but very good - esp. on Tin Pan Alley.

I know what you mean about the rock thing - we go down best if we stick 'You Really Got Me' or some such as an encore; its cheating, but you need to get rebooked!

How do you know when a harp players at your front door?

He can't get the key!

I really love Texas Flood on the EM video. He really hits some nasty licks in that version. I love the "Tin Pan Alley" in the live in Tokyo Japan video when he goes right in to "Dirty Pool".
Ron S

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: oh yeah! Reply with quote

How many folk guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Three. One to change the bulb and the other two to sing in harmony about how much better the old one was.

How can you tell when the stage is level?

The drool drips out of BOTH sides of the drummer's mouth!

A country band finally get a record deal.

After signing the contract the guitar player thinks about all the girls he can lay, the fiddle player thinks how all his friends will be so jealous, the drummer thinks about all the weed he can buy, and the bass player thinks.........1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5..................

What's the difference between a bull and an orchestra?

The bull has the horns at the front and the asshole at the back!

What's the difference between an accordion and an onion?

Nobody cries when you cut up an accordion!

What's the difference between a rabbit lying dead in the road and a drummer lying dead in the road?

There are skidmarks leading up to the rabbit!

A drummer, fed up with being the butt of all the jokes in the band, decides to take up an instrument.

He goes to the local music shop and looks around to see what he fancies learning to play. After much deliberation he goes to the counter and says "I'll take the big white accordion and the red trumpet please".
The assistant says "you're a drummer aren't you?". "How the hell did you know that?", says the drummer........

"Because that's the radiator and the fire extinguisher"
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back on topic for a sec here, what on earth does having a brass nut do on Lenny. The only thing ive heard about it is that it is good for recording work??? or something like that.

Hawk

Man are we hard on the drummers or what? I mean drummers are people too you know.

PS Cant remember if i read this one on here or not but here it goes anyways. How many bluesmen does it take to change a lightbulb.

9 One to change the bulb and eight to sit around and talk about how Stevie Ray could have done it better.

Am I right or am I right?
Russell

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk

You're not far off!

As I discussed earlier, Clapton was good, but Derek Trucks on slide and Doyle B. were both v. good too. Doyle B very Albert/Jimi.

For real blues though Buddy Guy is the best Ive ever seen.

All Erics guitars and Robert's had the Custom shop logo; I could see from where I was sitting.
BIGBSMILES

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE GUITAR STEVIE PLAYED AT THE MOCAMBO AND AT DAYTONA OCEAN CENTER, AND IN ATLANTA, WAS A DAKOTA RED 50 SOMETHING WITH A MAPLE FINGERBOARD, TREMOLO SPRINGS REAL LOOSE,HE USED 11'S ON THAT ONE AND IT WAS NOT HIS NO#1 THAT HE USED FOR THAT PIECE,EVEN THOUGH HE HAD BEEN SEEN USING MANY DIFFERENT STRATS FOR THE TUNE LENNY,REFER TO THE MOCAMBO DISK 2 FOR AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION OF THIS GUITAR,GOOD LUCK IN YOU QUEST. THANKS, BRIAN.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: