Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - 1982 Live At Montreux

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

1982 Live At Montreux

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MusicIsMyLife

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: 1982 Live At Montreux Reply with quote

I just finished watching the greatest SRV DVD video for the umpteenth time - the 1982 break out performance Live at Montreux. This had to be one of his greatest live performances of all time- it is just spectacular. Can someone please explain why the audience was booing, other than these people were idiots & didn't have any appreciation for what they were listening to that fateful night in 1982. Playing behind his back on Texas Flood or the beautiful rhythms on Collins Shuffle just wasn't enough for this crowd who didn't know squat about Texas Scuttle Buttin' music & the next greatest electric blues guitarist of all time. Thank God for David Bowie & especially, Jackson Browne. BTW, Jackson Browne is also one of the greatest musicians & songwriters of our time - I am very proud that Jackson was instrumental (no pun intended) in Stevie's ultimate destiny.
hide_away

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie & Double Trouble were the first unsigned act to play the jazz festival. Perosnally...I think they were booked on the wrong night as the crowd was expecting a more relaxed, quiet evening. It was supposed to be a very laid-back acoustic jazz evening...and here comes Stevie & DT louder than hell and just ripped it to shreads. LOL. That audience was basically tore up from the floor up. For the most part I think everyone dug it...but there were several in the front rows who just couldn't get their heads outta their butts long enough to realize they were witnessing something extremely special.
If you're watching the performance on dvd...watch the special features interview with Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, John Mayer, and Jackson Browne. They give awesome insight into how that whole evening went.
John Mayer summed it up best I think....it was as if Stevie showed up on the other team's home field with his uniform on inside-out...and he was unapologetic about what he was there for.
That performance is one of my favorites...with his El Mocambo performance being #1.

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: