Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - OVERDRIVE PEDALS & GUITAR PICKUPS for SRV tone

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

OVERDRIVE PEDALS & GUITAR PICKUPS for SRV tone

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: OVERDRIVE PEDALS & GUITAR PICKUPS for SRV tone Reply with quote

hi!! i want to buy one overdrive pedal and i think that this will be one tube screamer ts808
but i wanted to ask if theres any others pedals that maybe are better or very good as a classic tube screamer.
someone told me about barber overdrive.
general i want an..SRV tone like texas flood and i have one twin reverb with 1 EV speaker 200watt.
my guitar is john suhr with 2V60LP pickups and one DSV at bridge position
but i m thinking of buying another stratocaster only for ..blueessss. Cool
i have heard and i was impressed with seymour duncan antiquity texas hot Wink
for overdrives i have made a list:
1)menatone red snapper
2)maxon od808
3)maxon OD-9
4)ts 808 mod by robert keely
5).... Rolling Eyes
opinions for other..texas overdrive pedals and pickups??
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takis, you are missing the best 808 clone out there in my opinion.

The MJM Blues Devil made my Michael Milcetic of www.mjmguitarfx.com

This is the best 808 clone I have found out there. I have tried TONS.

The Red Snapper has a treble spike that I could never dial out. I haven't tried the newer ones, so maybe Brian has fixed that problem.

I have had both the baked mod and the regular Keeley mod, and while they are great pedals (really good actually), I would rather have a true bypass pedal.

The Maxon OD808 is really good as well, they claim its true bypass, but I have heard otherwise.

I think your search stops with the MJM Blues Devil to be honest. I'm on my third one, and won't ever get rid of it again (this one is a custom one off with a boost channel).

I've have the Suhr V60LP, but swapped them out in favor of the Rio Grande Vintage Tall Boys. I have the Van Zandt Rock pickups in my SRV strat.

Neither of these sets are perfect, but I'm still searching Wink

I also liked the Fralin Blues Specials, but I think I am going to try the Vintage Hots next.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do. But like I said, your 808 search ends with the MJM BD. The Landgraff DO is also very good, but not worth all of the money you would spend on one.

Next on the list for 808 style pedals is the BJFE Little Green Wonder. I've wanted to try one for the last couple of years, but they don't come up used very often, and when they do, I'm always short on cash! I'm just really curious about this one.

The Bad Bob is also really good for that SRV "clean gain" as I like to call it. It gets you to that edge of break up really nice. Also look at the Zendrive for a nice stacking option with an 808 style OD.

Troy
voodoo364

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the MJM is my fave 808 variant. The Red Snapper is good..i just prefer the MJM.
takis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot my friends!
i ll order now the mjm blues devil Wink
takis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i ll order it i want to ask something for the blues devil..a friend of mine told me that its better not to have(i dont know if i m teeling it right)
"germanium"

a question about the pickups..:do you believe that srv custom shop guitar is ok for stevie tone with the texas special on...?or when you ll take the guitar you must change the pickups for something better?
GitFiddle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys. Ran across the forum awhile back. Some good stuff.
Wondering if anyone had an opinion on the P&J pedal?

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Ladipo/Pride_and_Joy-01.htm

You guys have just about talked me into trying the MJM BluesDevil but just checking out all the options.

Thanks
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat (texas special pickups) - original marshall bluesbreaker - 64/67 super reverb.

viola!
alquimista

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas Specials pickups.
Heavy gauge strings.

I use a marshall blues breaker (BB-2) overdrive pedal. Good tone for a cheap piece of equipment.
BIGBSMILES

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S THE FORMULA I USE GUY'S, AND ITS GREAT! AND ALSO, I'VE BEEN PLAYING PROFESSIONALLY FOR 31 YEARS, THE BLUES, AND I LOVED STEVIE. AMPS,VINTAGE AB763 CIRCUIT FENDER PRO W/O REVERB,PINE CAB, JBL D130F ALNICO,FULLTONE/OCD PEDAL,THIN COAT NITRO STRATS,ALNICO 3 MAGNET PICKUPS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS,(LINDY,RIO,DIMARZIO,KINMAN,VANZANT,FENDER,)ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARDS,JUMBO WIDE FRETS,11'S AND UP ON THE STRINGS,OH YEAH, WIRE YOUR BRIDGE P/U FOR TONE,AND USE OUTBOARD TUBE REVERB,OPTIONAL,BUT ON STAGE EVERYTHING IS MIKED SO YOU CAN GET YOUR REVERB EFFECT THERE MUCH BETTER ALL AROUND FOR DYNAMICS,I ALSO USE A DR.Z MAZ JR WITH TT ALNICO'S AS MY B AMP ON STAGE BECAUSE THEY SOUND SO SWEET, BUT I ABSOLOUTLY LOVE THE PRO WITH 15 JBL FOR THE SOUND IS COMPLETELY SRV.THANKS FOR THE SIGHT TO WRITE. BRIAN(SMILES)ESTES.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGBSMILES wrote:
HERE'S THE FORMULA I USE GUY'S, AND ITS GREAT! AND ALSO, I'VE BEEN PLAYING PROFESSIONALLY FOR 31 YEARS, THE BLUES, AND I LOVED STEVIE. AMPS,VINTAGE AB763 CIRCUIT FENDER PRO W/O REVERB,PINE CAB, JBL D130F ALNICO,FULLTONE/OCD PEDAL,THIN COAT NITRO STRATS,ALNICO 3 MAGNET PICKUPS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS,(LINDY,RIO,DIMARZIO,KINMAN,VANZANT,FENDER,)ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARDS,JUMBO WIDE FRETS,11'S AND UP ON THE STRINGS,OH YEAH, WIRE YOUR BRIDGE P/U FOR TONE,AND USE OUTBOARD TUBE REVERB,OPTIONAL,BUT ON STAGE EVERYTHING IS MIKED SO YOU CAN GET YOUR REVERB EFFECT THERE MUCH BETTER ALL AROUND FOR DYNAMICS,I ALSO USE A DR.Z MAZ JR WITH TT ALNICO'S AS MY B AMP ON STAGE BECAUSE THEY SOUND SO SWEET, BUT I ABSOLOUTLY LOVE THE PRO WITH 15 JBL FOR THE SOUND IS COMPLETELY SRV.THANKS FOR THE SIGHT TO WRITE. BRIAN(SMILES)ESTES.

with all due respect, this is cool and everything...if you have an extra $10,000 lying around. Invest in any decent tube amp (use some common sense and you'll be fine) and the same goes for the guitar (any fender strat w/ decent pickups will work)...get a $65 original blues breaker or even better a $40 Boss DS-1 pedal and EXPERIMENT. you'll get damn close trust me...and anyway no one will ever nail Stevie's tone EXACT.

I personally have found that an early vibroking in stereo with a 67 super reverb using both the bluesbreaker in a mixture with the ds-1 has gotten me as close as i want to get.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bluz,

What I use for the SRV tone is a AV 62 Strat with a TS9DX and a 65 twin or a Vibroking. This setup get's me in the ball park. It's also close to the setup Henry Garza plays with. Mato from Indigenous also get's a really good SRV tone.
BIGBSMILES

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.BUT LETS FACE IT.SOMEBODY ELSE LIKE BILL HUMPHREYS HAD THE TONE WE ARE TALKIN ABOUT LONG BEFORE STEVIE, BUT STEVIE PLAYED HIS MUSIC AND THROUGH HIS SOUL,SO YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT,PLAY WHAT YA GOT AND PLAY YOUR HEART OUT, AND JUST KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.OH YA BY THE WAY,IF YOU WANT TO PURSUE THE ELUSIVE TONE,ONE MUST SACRIFICE TO ATTAIN EQUIPMENT LIKE SOME OF US TALK ABOUT, LIKE DRINK HEALTHY WATER, INSTEAD OF BEER 0R SODA,EAT CHICKEN QUARTERS FOR 39 CENTS A POUND, AND FORGET THAT YOU EVEN HAVE MONEY UNTIL THE DEALS POP UP, AND THEN, EVEN THEN,DEAL FRUGILIE, AND WAIT FOR THE RIGHT DEAL AND GO TO THE MUSIC STORES AND TRY ALL THESE OTHER PEDALS, OR BETTER YET,DOWNLOAD SOME SOUND CLIPS.WE ONLY LIVE ONCE.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhouse wrote:
I agree with Bluz,

What I use for the SRV tone is a AV 62 Strat with a TS9DX and a 65 twin or a Vibroking. This setup get's me in the ball park. It's also close to the setup Henry Garza plays with. Mato from Indigenous also get's a really good SRV tone.

when I played with henry he was using a marshall 2000 through a Boger 2x12 cabinet. pretty decent tone. I talked to him for awhile (we shot the $hit for an hour or 2) and he was telling me that tone-wise more than getting the SRV tone, he was tryin to combine that with a kind of santana-ish sound. To me he accomplised that nicely.

I saw Indigenous live at Antone's in Austin, and they had Jess Davey from the Hoax on the road as their guitar tech. He came up for the last 2 songs and blew Mato clear off the stage. He was the talk of the club for awhile after. He has what I believe (next to some of Duarte's work) one of the closest sounding SRV type tones.
Redhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Henry a couple days ago, I sat front row left, just a few feet away from him. He had two 65 twins and a TS9 and a Vox Wah for his setup. He also had the Marshall's and two Tone Tubby cabs. He played almost all of the set with the twins. I talked to him after the show for a long while about Guitars and his setup. He's really into the 65 Twins and just the TS9 for "that" tone.

I saw Indigenous a few weeks ago and he had a very SRV tone, but I didn't really get close enough to tell what he had going.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: