Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - stevie compared to hendrix and others.

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

stevie compared to hendrix and others.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corona11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: stevie compared to hendrix and others. Reply with quote

On this 100 best guitarist Jimi hendrix is number 1, but stevie is 7th. I personly think stevie is better than hendrix. All stevies versions of Hendrix songs were better than jimi's. I still love hendrix and think he is awsome, but i think people under estimate stevie. When i watch srv play, i am in awe everytime i watch him, even if i have seen that video many times before.

here is a link to the website of the 100 greatest of all time.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time

Let me know what you think about srv compared to hendrix or anyone else.

Peace... Cool
Russell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, not again!!

Surely;

'Best' is subjective.

'Favourite' is personal.

You can have the 'best' runner or 'best' selling single.

How can you have a 'best' guitarist? Its an artform.

50% of subjects on this forum get into these arguments. Pointless.

You can have most popular - but again, thats only based on people who are asked!

Stevie is my personal favourite guitarist,
but in a way its like food - you gotta vary your diet a bit!
I like this forum because the guys on here (when not arguing who's the best!), can give little pointers to rare stuff, gigs, tone and other guys to watch out for.

I think one thing to remember though, is the timescale; Jimi was 1966.

Stevie is less psychadelic - more blue than purple!
hawk5211

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. Personally my favourite is Stevie, with Jimi, BB Eric Clapton and someone like mark knophler or buddy guy or albert king rounding out my top five. But heres the ones i dont agree with on this list

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana - Come on thats just not right.....

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd - Personally think he should be higher....

AND, where is albert king. I cant even find him on the list...

And also, where are joe satriani and steve vai. i think they are way better than some of these other guys on here.....

Im fine with where they put stevie tho, i dont mind that hes below people like BB and eric and robert johnson, and hendrix. I think thats the way he would have wanted it.....

Hawk

PS hope this doesnt turn into an arguement....
Redhouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those list are full of BS, they only put them out to stir the shit and piss people off. Besides, guys like Stevie and Buddy wouldn't even put their names on such a list. If you asked any of them who's their top 10, 50, whatever, it would be a long list of guys before them.
corona11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt meen to start an argument, but thanks for all the feedback. Very Happy
Have a good day people.

Josh
corona11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i forgot,
I agree with russel here.
Quote:
How can you have a 'best' guitarist? Its an artform.

Everyone is different with a different style.
Christopher X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Like them both Reply with quote

There both my favourites of jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan and i should not realy put them ahead of each other but i do and put hendrix first and srv 2nd,thats just my choice and opinion,like everyone has theres too. Cool

Lectrkbluz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: My feelings on player ratings Reply with quote

It all depends on what music genre you like. Certainly no one could dispute Andre Segovia as one of the greatest guitarists of all time but he is not on the list. As a blues and blues/rock fanatic, I feel that Stevie Ray and Albert King are the two best guitarists in these catagories. It is like Albert once said on one of his live recordings "If you don't get this, you got a hole in yo' soul". Rockers would have to put Vai, Satriani, and Van Halen high on thier lists. But, for pure emotion, tone, musical expression, I have to go with Stevie and Albert. I was never a huge fan of Hendrix for some reason. When he was around I was listening to Albert King, the Allman Bros. Band, and other Southern Rock, Blues, and Blues/Rock players. Very Happy
Russell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre Wood Stones were a good R'n'B band.

But I prefer rhythm to technique; Jimmy Reed, Chuck, or Bo Diddley over Muddy or BB.

I once read that The Miami Vice TV Theme made the top ten guitar solos somewhere.

Marvelous.
hawk5211

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 Freddy King

Isnt it Freddie King....

Just curious....

And where o' where is Albert.
Lectrkbluz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Not Freddie King or BB King Reply with quote

It is not Freddie King I was refering to. It is Albert King who was a major influence on Stevie Rey and Jimi Hendrix. He played a flying V upside down and backwards. He took a right handed V and played it left handed but he did not reverse the order of the strings like Hendrix did. Do yourself a big favor and pickup a CD by Albert King called "Blues Power, Live Wire". He has lots of albums but there are only two or three DVD's of him playing in concert. There is a CD called "In Session" which was made from a PBS television station that has Stevie Ray and Albert King. Songs like Blues Power, Laundromat Blues, Crosscut Saw, I'll Play The Blues For You" are must haves for any blues player. There is also a 2 CD set called "Albert King, The Ultimate Collection" for about $25 - $30. Check him out and post your opinion of Albert.
Lectrkbluz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to Russel Reply with quote

Russel...I'm with you on what you posted. I was born in 1948 and was lucky enough to see the whole electric blues, rock 'n roll, rock and hard rock evolve. I still think the Stones can hang with any rock band in the world even though they are in their sixties. For some great rhythm work you have to include Jimmy Vaughan, Stevies brother, and there is no one quite like Keith Richards. If you listen to Stevie's music you can hear all the old players including Chuck Berry (The House is a Rockin'"). I like Stevie's versions of Hendrix better than the Hendrix versions, but that is just MHO.
Russell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People go on about the 70's though....!!!

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink floyd, 10CC, ELO, Rush etc, not my bag.

I got hold of 'Please Please Me' and the Stones first LP. then I just kept going back!!

I think 'Integrity' is the word - thats why I've got into Jazz a bit lately.

Rock can be a bit too ingenuine a lot of the time. AC/DC are ok though!!!

Are we off topic yet? !! ('Wink')
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far enough off i think..

I dont mind some of the 70's rock. Some of the guitar is pretty good. there are a few local bands here that came out in the 70's Streetheart and Harlequin (not sure of spelling) and they were pretty good. Blues still kicks all there butts tho Smile

Lectrkbluz i agree with what you said about Stevie and Jimi, sometimes i prefer listening to stevie do jimi then jimi do jimi. Nothing against hendrix tho, amazing guitar player...IMHO great songwriter too.....

Hawk
Deezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Live Wire/Blues Power, and it does indeed show one of the mightiest bluesmen at the top of his powers. No doubt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: