Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Best Part of His Tone

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Best Part of His Tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What amp do you own?
Fender
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Marshall
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Vox
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mesa Boogie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fuchs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Boutique
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Best Part of His Tone Reply with quote

SRV had a sound all his own that resulted from a number of different things. What do you think is the most important aspect of his tone? Was it just one thing?
Are there any musicians out now who do SRV justice in recreating his tone? Is it even possible to recreate his tone?

-SRV
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the Fenders...

I personally believe that it is impossible to be SRV. The tone is achievable, perhaps, with the right equiptment, a good ear, and a hell of alot of talent. Personally I try to achive a tone similar to Stevie's but with a slight difference (a bit more gain usually and a different pedal) and it works for me.

My favourite recording of Stevie's is the In Session with albert King, and on that correct me if I am wrong but I believe he used just a super reverb for that. That tone is simply amazing.

I think that simple is best. I like the 83' Mocambo and ACL tone way better(Super Reverb and Viroverb) as opposed to 1985 Montreaux for example (every amp under the sun).

In all honesty tho it seemed that no matter what he was playing he sounded like himself and that is purely amazing too.

Hawk

EDIT

What I am trying to say is that I think that you can sound kind of like SRV but you can never play like him, if you get what I am saying.
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call about the dsl. I've got a buddy who uses one and can really get a good thick tone from it. Although, it's not my style. Why are you getting rid of your Marshall? Getting some thing new?
I forgot to put some thing in the first post about his guitar(s)... so here it goes. His guitars had little to do with his tone. Prove me wrong.

-SRV
corona11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I forgot to put some thing in the first post about his guitar(s)... so here it goes. His guitars had little to do with his tone. Prove me wrong.

the stratocaster in general had to do with his tone, i believe.

..strats are the best Razz
hawk5211

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, strats rule!

Stevie always sounded like himself, but give him the right equiptment and such and he sounded more like himself. I know that makes no sense but thats just my opinion.

MTV Unplugged sounds like stevie, but not as much like stevie as something like Tin Pan Alley (listening to right now! Very Happy ).

Hawk
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Texas Flood' is the tone for me.

Its been said before but I think his tone got a bit mushy later on.

I like the tone before Reese came in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: