Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - When was the first time you heard SRV?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

When was the first time you heard SRV?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: When was the first time you heard SRV? Reply with quote

And what was your first impression?
ARUJEFF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time i heard SRV was when my dad put on the sky is crying.....i was about 12 and just getting started playing guitar...for the next three years he became my idol.....by about 15 i learned every SRV song i could get my hands on. very fortunate to grow up in a musically enriched family....my dad got me into so many great musicians; charlie parker, thelonius monk, grand funk, miles davis and stan getz were some of the guys i remember him always talking about.
SRV463

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was 12, i heard him playing voodoo child on austin city Limits. That changed me forever.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My elder brother got Couldn't Stand The Weather for Christmas. I was 13 and into Van Halen. It was probably the first blues I'd really listened to but, at that age, it was the fast licks in Scuttle Buttin' that grabbed my attention. The video for Cold Shot stands out in my memory, too. The Couldn't Stand the Weather era SRV is still my favourite.
Kidblue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time i heard SRV was back in high school, I liked his music and was always a fan but it wasn't until i started playing guitar that he truly blew me away. What he does is so incredible i love watching him and listening to what he can do.
garp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the song China Girl on the radio. The solo was the highpoint of the song. I think either Guitar Player of Guitar World mag did a profile of Stevie around this time maybe 1982 or '83.
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum & my first time to hear SRV was back in 1986 & I was 15 yrs. old. My first impression was that the music touched me in a deep way & all of the emotion in it just made me "feel good". I had just started to play the guitar but I had grown up listening to Blues & Classic Rock through my Dad & I was exposed to all kinds of music from a young age. My Dad also took me to see him in concert for the first time in 1987 & then I was lucky enough to go see him 4 times after that. The last time was 1 month before he passed. Stevie's music & life have always been the inspiration behind my playing. Thanks for letting me share my little story, take care.

Danny
http://www.soundclick.com/smokestacklightning
fendervoodooblues@yahoo.com
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
My elder brother got Couldn't Stand The Weather for Christmas. I was 13 and into Van Halen. It was probably the first blues I'd really listened to but, at that age, it was the fast licks in Scuttle Buttin' that grabbed my attention. The video for Cold Shot stands out in my memory, too. The Couldn't Stand the Weather era SRV is still my favourite.
That's about how I remember ot too. So here's my variation on a theme:

A guy who had just been paroled from prison moved to our street one summer when I was ten. I can't remember the guys name anymore but he was a musician. Not really a blues player, more of a singer song writer. One day he came over to the house with copies of "Texas Flood" and Couldn't Stand The Weather" on vinyl. The first songs that jumped out at me were "Scuttle Buttin" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Not long after that I saw the videos for "Cold Shot" and "Couldn't Stand The Weather" on MTV. I'd been around musicians my whole life, and I already knew about Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen, but this cat was different than anything I'd ever heard up to that point, and there was this energy and urgency to the music that you don't hear everyday. My dad was always in bands as long as I can remember. At that particular time he was playing with this really hot guitar player. I remember we couldn't wait for him to come over and "listen to this guy Stevie Ray Vaughan" and tell us what he thought. When we played "Scuttle Buttin" for him his comment was "Wow! I think I might be able to play about half of those notes!" Coming from him that was really saying something. Shocked

That was the summer of 1984. Where did those twenty years go? Confused
CocoTone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

`82 when I bought the Bowie Lets Dance album. The guitar player stood out like a sore thumb.

CT. Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: