Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Marshall Heads

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Marshall Heads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Marshall Heads Reply with quote

What type of Marshall Head/Cabs did he use? What kind of tubes? PArticularly on the Austin City Limits DVD when he play crossfire and leave my little girl alone? Any thoughts?

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet_emotion16 wrote:
200 watt marshall majors.. he switched it up all the time though .. has anyone looked at the new GW... he was looking into minimizing his rig down to one amp .. the soldano slo! theres a page dedicated to it in the new GW

...I haven't read the article, but that seems remarkably suspect to me. It simply doesn't make sense since the man used 2+ amps at every gig since he started in the 70's and fenders have always been there. If there WAS one amp he might have considered mimizing to it would have been the Tweed Bassman, but an SLO? Warren Haynes loves them, but I simply don't see SRV liking them... especially when you consider the SLO was out by the mid of stevie's career and he never had one in his lineup.

I'm not trying to start anything, but maybe its a clever marketing gimmick on the side of Soldano. I mean, if everyone found out SRV's next direction was that amp, and that amp alone, think of the sales increase.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article... and theres something thats important to note, and thats SRV didnt search out soldano, but rather he came to him.

What I mean is, SRV was excited to get the amp because of Soldano's talking up his amps and telling stevie he could get the same feel and tone at lower volumes. Stevie never heard the amps. And in fact, apparently he had the amp for a couple of months before he died, and the article says he never had "time to incorporate it into his rig"...

...my thought on it is that Stevie liked the sounds, but not enough to replace his rig. The article mentions he loved his rig, but just wanted to get the same sound at lower volumes. I play a cranked super at every gig, and I've played a SLO... even with that mod he mentioned, they are WAAay different.

just my .02 (or 40 bucks if you count both posts;) Interesting read either way.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
Ted68

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read the article but I do have an old article about Stevie going down to one amp for recording---an original barely used '59 bassman.

It belonged to Rene Martinez and he loaned it to Stevie who eventually bought it. In the article Stevie says, "Thats it man, thats the sound. It just sounds like one big Fender."

Rene says that in the studio he had all of Stevies amps going, with the Bassman in the stack also and would cut the mics to the rest. Thats how Stevie came to notice the amp. This just prior to Stevie's death. I can find the article and scan it if anyone is interested. Stevie also states the settings he liked for the amp in the article, but I can't remember them right now.

An interesting side note is a quick reference to the preferred studio guitar used, a newer Strat with EMG's. Sounds like the whole rig was changing...
hawk5211

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted68 wrote:

An interesting side note is a quick reference to the preferred studio guitar used, a newer Strat with EMG's. Sounds like the whole rig was changing...

EMG's. That stricks me as a little weird. I don't know alot about EMG pickups, but the ones I do know about are the active humbuckers that are in some ibanez's and jacksons and such. I can see him making his rig a little more compact, but only if he could still get as huge of a sound as he used to have.
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that man. Actually, when he received his Hamiltone guitar, it was equipped with EMG active pick ups. Durring the filming of Couldn't Stand the Weather, the pickups were damaged when the guitar got wet. His tech found some vintage Fenders to replace the EMGs. I don't think he was going to use EMGs... they sound like crap.

-SRV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: