Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Rare SRV Footage found !! (on one of my concert vids)

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Rare SRV Footage found !! (on one of my concert vids)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Rare SRV Footage found !! (on one of my concert vids) Reply with quote

I was just watching one of my bootleg concerts, and I let it play through after the encore for a while.

I found

1) SRV playing Little Wing at the El Mocambo show.
2) SRV and DT doing something really neat at a Japanese/Chinese interview. SRV is playing a shuffle on a Flying V (!!!) while Tommy Shannon is humming the bass line and Layton is beating his drum sticks on the table, how cool!!
3) SRV and Stevie Wonder doing Superstition together. I had this on recording, I've just never seen it before.

Just wanted to share the excitement!!!

Troy
hide_away

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too cool Troy. Kinda like finding buried treasure. WOW! Cool Cool Cool
Thanks for sharing. Wink

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Bootleg shows Reply with quote

and how does one get bootleg shows?

There's a guy selling shows on Ebay for Roy Buchanan and others. Are those legitimate DVDs. I'm guessing that its just VHS to DVD without menus, etc.

I'd love to see the Little Wing video. I have an ongoing argument with a friend about SRVs interpretation of Little Wing. I think it's the best out there, compared to Clapton, Sting, etc. I've always liked the fact that Stevie didn't sing the lyrics to Little Wing. Hendrix's lyrics were sometimes a product of the psychodelic times and a little out there.
hide_away

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying boots off ebay is like sex...ya never know what you're gonna get and the quality can be poor. Rolling Eyes I'd much rather get boots from loyal fans who love Stevie as much as I do.
I've always wondered why Little Wing was edited from El Mocambo.
I've only heard the lyrics to that song once...Jimi's version on the radio awhile back.
But I've always stood firm to my opinion that Stevie was the only person who could take a Hendrix song...and make it completely his own. For years I thought Little Wing was Stevie's song...had no idea Jimi wrote it. Shocked

~Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very curious about the El Mocambo show. Both Rude Mood and Little Wing were cut from the video release. I thought it might be a copyright issue, but Third Stone from the Sun is included. That would have been what I'd cut. Oh well.

Someday, I'll try to track down a bootleg source, to avoid the poor quality unknown stuff on Ebay.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Little Wing Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
I'd love to see the Little Wing video. I have an ongoing argument with a friend about SRVs interpretation of Little Wing. I think it's the best out there, compared to Clapton, Sting, etc. I've always liked the fact that Stevie didn't sing the lyrics to Little Wing. Hendrix's lyrics were sometimes a product of the psychodelic times and a little out there.

I love Hendrix's original the best, as well as the great live version on Hendrix in the West, which Stevie obviously spent some time listening to. SRV definitely personalises the song and it's a great showcase for so much that's great about his playing. However I find Stevie's rhythmic feel a bit stiff when compared to Jimi's. As for other versions, I like the Clapton version - actually I think it's more Duane Allman than Clapton - because he takes the song in a different direction. I love the words, too. It's a great song, though, in that it works equally well instrumentally.
Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing to the Hendrix version. Of course, that's the definitive one.

The great thing about great musicians covering others' works is that they can add there own flavor to the music. I suppose that even works to some extent in classical music, e.g. Bach, Beethoven, etc.

But, in rock, blues, etc. there's much more freedom to move the themes, etc.

I've listened to several Hendrix versions. Its nice to know which one SRV listened to for his interpretation.

I'll go find it now.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

I've purchased probably 10 shows off of eBay over the last few years and have had 99.9 percent good luck with the sellers. Often times they are big fans as well. They often go the extra mile to make nice covers for the DVD case, that's not a big deal, but it's still cool!

I've only bought one that didn't work so well, it started to freeze and such, but I've purchased 3-4 others from the same person with out any defects/problems etc. Confused

Normally, you pay $10 or $20 dollars for the DVDs. I don't ever expect the quality to be top notch, but they are ALWAYS good enough to watch and enjoy. Just read the descriptions and then ask the seller, the most important thing is that the video's are professionally shot. Only 2 of the 10ish that I have are handheld camera things, and one of them is actually really good, surprisingly.

I wouldn't fear buying them from eBay. Honestly.

Best of luck,

Troy
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockaplast show from Germany has SRV playing Little Wing. The quality is not to bad. Kinda' sucks when the camera guy starts panning a river in Germany with barges while SRV is playing Little Wing. Thankfully it does not last too long! I like the Rockaplast show quite a bit. I have several shows from E-Bay...I agree with TT..not great quality but very interesting and certainly watchable.
hide_away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
The Rockaplast show from Germany has SRV playing Little Wing. The quality is not to bad. Kinda' sucks when the camera guy starts panning a river in Germany with barges while SRV is playing Little Wing. Thankfully it does not last too long! I like the Rockaplast show quite a bit. I have several shows from E-Bay...I agree with TT..not great quality but very interesting and certainly watchable.

I agree....the "barge" shots on Rockpalast were slightly annoying. Pretty country side but still...this is STEVIE!!!! Shocked

~Stevie Ray Vaughan
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I've seen several of these DVDs on eBay. One guy in Texas has a bunch of stuff. Maybe I'll check them out.

hide_away said,
Quote:
ya never know what you're gonna get and the quality can be poor.

For $10 to $20, it's not that risky.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if they reissued the El Mocambo DVD with the missing tunes. And aren't there any plans for a decent commercial release of the Rockpalast show. Sounds like it'd be much more enjoyable than the 2nd Montreux disc. I imagine there's a ton of stuff, particularly from European TV etc. Maybe it's a licensing thing?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: