Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyJames wrote:
TTrahan wrote:
you shouldn't really refer to the MJM BD as being transparent, IMO. It has a midhump, just like every TS, so it can't really be transparent if it changes your tone, right?

Switching tracks, I recently tried out a new OD pedal that I think is worthy of attention. The "Fireburst" is made by a relatively new boutique pedal manufacturer called Diamond Pedals. At first glance, it looks and sounds a bit like a Fulldrive II, but it has a mid-boost feature which definitely kicks it into SRV territory.

Is there a website for this new builder?
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Troy

Can you tell us a little more about your Tychobrahe clone? How do you have it set? I got a Voodoo Lab Proctavia, and after a bit of buggering about - it doesn't work or play well with other pedals, depending on where you put it - I love it. But it's the only one I've tried.

Cheers

Salty
voodoo364

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Nash...the pix are still on his website
TTrahan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
Hey Troy

Can you tell us a little more about your Tychobrahe clone? How do you have it set? I got a Voodoo Lab Proctavia, and after a bit of buggering about - it doesn't work or play well with other pedals, depending on where you put it - I love it. But it's the only one I've tried.

Cheers

Salty

Hey Salty,

I sold the Chicago Iron Octavian Sad Not because I didn't like it, but I needed to fund a different purchase and the CI wasn't getting much use. I used it on two or three songs, but it really did it's job when it needed to. It's on the expensive side for a one trick pony, so I figured I'd replace it down the road with something a little less expensive. I've heard great things from a close bud about the MJM Roctavios, and having owned a few MJM peds I totally trust that the Roctavios will sound sweet as hell.

More on the Chicago Iron: It wasn't really fussy about where it sat in the chain, at least I didn't notice any thing.

I'm not really sure how I set it either! I'm pretty sure both knobs were a little past noon most of the time. I adjusted the output during the song to make it set right. I could never remember where I had it set!

Hope some of that helps.

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me. Trahan20@aol.com
TTrahan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
http://www.nashguitars.com/Temp57strat%20001.jpg

For your viewing enjoyment

What a sharp looking axe!

Scott Dillman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread.. Just found this forum from the MusicToyz forum...

Probably don't play as much as most of you here but I try Smile

Been very lucky that my Father builds guitars both acoustic and electric and does all my tweaks and repairs for me. But then again I do all his computer work, so it evens out...

Always been a huge SRV fan since I saw him at the Boston Opera house in 85. I always wanted just a piece of that tone, of course before I went to that show I was playing a Les Paul through a Marshall, but these days I can't get enough of that gut wrenching super creamy texas blues sound..

I have been using two TS9s, one having the 808 mod, and a dunlop wah into a Torres Super Texan 50w combo. It does pretty good job. My Father and I have worked pretty hard building the strat to be as beefy as possible but still sound sweet. The Lindy Fralin vintage hot pups seem to really round out the sound well .

My dunlop wah just croaked so I decided to pick up a RMC-1 to replace it and also decided to pick up the MJM Blues Devil becuase the TS9 was really not getting me there. Can't wait for the Blues Devil to arrive.

I know what I hear in my head, something like Texas Flood from the SRV show from Japan '85 that goes on for like 12 minutes, miles and miles of tone.. Every time I hear it I go and turn all my knobs to zero and start over.. Smile

Anyone interested in the guitar specs, I had put together a page for one of my friends who wanted the info..

Scott

http://www.binaryrevelations.com/wsd/tone.html
voodoo364

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TT!!! It has Fralins which I really dig. I think the Van Zant Blues are also great for copping the SRV tone.
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:

Tell us more about your NASH! It looks killer! Did you have him build it for you to your specs?
voodoo364

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was researching the Nash Strats for a while. I have been playing for over 25 years. I have been building my own mongrel Strats for quite some time. I was REAL close to pullin' the trigger on a SUHR Scott Henderson. It had all features I was looking for as far playability and sound. I went home to think about it. Next morning I checked out the Nash site and Bill had just listed a couple of new available stock items. I called him immediately and inquired about the S model I own now. It has everything I want. 1 piece Ash,1/4 sawn maple,Fralins and a 12 radius!!! This guitar is by far the finest guitar I have ever owned. It resonates like crazy and is soooo playable. Some people hate the whole "relic" thing...I like the look. The finish is thin...the guitar just seems to breathe. I am certain I will purchase another Nash soon. A friend has a real 57 Strat...incredible tone. The Nash for 1300 is a steal.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:
TTrahan wrote:
you shouldn't really refer to the MJM BD as being transparent, IMO. It has a midhump, just like every TS, so it can't really be transparent if it changes your tone, right?

Switching tracks, I recently tried out a new OD pedal that I think is worthy of attention. The "Fireburst" is made by a relatively new boutique pedal manufacturer called Diamond Pedals. At first glance, it looks and sounds a bit like a Fulldrive II, but it has a mid-boost feature which definitely kicks it into SRV territory.

www.diamondpedals.com Good site. Distortion, OD & comp only. Unfortunately they don't ship to Japan.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:
TTrahan wrote:

www.diamondpedals.com Good site. Distortion, OD & comp only. Unfortunately they don't ship to Japan.
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best SRV tone I've ever gotten was achieved by plugging my favorite strat into a healthy Super Reverb turned way up. No pedals or gadgets, just guitar+cable+amp=big frightening tone.
kenny74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974 Strat plugged into a Mesa Boogie Lone Star. Mid and bass at 6 or 7 and treble all the way.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny74 wrote:
1974 Strat plugged into a Mesa Boogie Lone Star. Mid and bass at 6 or 7 and treble all the way.

How long have you had the Lone Star, Kenny74? I read the review in Guitar Player, as well as looking it up on Boogie's site, and it sounds like a sweet, sweet amp. Do you have the combo or the stack? And how do you have it set up for rectification etc.? At ¥400,000 (about $4000) for the combo, I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one (at least without having to get divorced), though.
kenny74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing big, living room size, about $1700. Nice sized amp, get some great tone out of it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: