Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Fender Custom Shop Pays Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Fender Custom Shop Pays Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Fender Custom Shop Pays Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan Reply with quote

Anybody own one of these?

Quote:

January 15, 2004

One of the greatest guitarists of all time, Stevie Ray Vaughan, was and forever will be remembered for his soulful music, his revolutionary playing style and for his distinctive, beat-up Fender Stratocaster guitar. Affectionately known as "Number One", this guitar in Stevie's hands helped bring Texas blues to the forefront of popular music in the 1980s, and together, Stevie and "Number One" inspired a new generation of musicians both young and old to pick up a guitar and try to recreate some of their magic.

In honor of the legendary guitarist and his guitar, the Fender Custom Shop announce that it will offer a Limited Edition Stevie Ray Vaughan Tribute Model "Number One" Stratocaster Guitar. These guitars have been commissioned to the Custom Shop by the estate of Stevie Ray Vaughan, and only 100 replicas will ever be built.

Recently, a team from Fender comprised of Richard McDonald, George Blanda, and Mike Eldred visited guitarist Jimmie Vaughan in Austin, Texas, to "dissect" his brother's guitar, and to scientifically record its every aspect--from measuring the output of each of the three single-coil pickups and the tension of their copper wire, to digitally weighing each piece of wood and hardware, to measuring the body and neck shapes and their contours, and to using calipers to measure every nick, scratch and wear mark on the guitar.

"We will be able to painstakingly reproduce 'Number One' in every way, shape and form," says Eldred. "But it's a labor of love. Just about every guitarist today has been influenced by Stevie's playing in some way, and not only is it an honor to be a part of this project, we're thrilled to be able to offer replicas of this historical guitar."
garp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To rich for my blood. I don't know if any Fender Strat is worth $10'000.
IMHO you'd look like a real wanna be if you showed up at a gig with one of these but then again you probably wouldn't gig with this anyway.
wolftrane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't afford one either. Most regular people can't. So I built my own

This site shows you how to build one for as little as $500 depending on the guitar and neck you use.http://www.srvguitar.com
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Wolftrane, that looks really cool - you did a great job.
I'm gonna go over & check out that website. Take care.

Danny
http://www.soundclick.com/smokestacklightning
hide_away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age-ing a guitar to look like #1 seems to be like a work of art...a sculpture. Something you form and mold in your hands. This is awesome work Wolftrane!!!!! Cool

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
wolftrane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments.

I was appalled by the cost Fender was charging for the official replica. I have seen others make them and post online. But nobody has offered tips on how to do it.

Even though it only took me two weeks in my sparce spare time on the weekends and evenings, it was a very intensive process. It took a great deal of patience. But I highly recommend this project if you have the desire.

One last note, I have a new found respect for the custom shop staff working on the official replicas. But I still don't think they are worth 10 grand.
hide_away

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I remember reading somewhere online that one of the Fender replicas was auctioned at some function...it brought in a whopping $40,000+.....which means if you commission one thru a Fender dealer...the price will have gone up dramatically from the original $10,000.

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hide_away wrote:
Seems I remember reading somewhere online that one of the Fender replicas was auctioned at some function...
It was the CROSSROADS GUITAR auction that Eric Clapton arranged. It's the same auction where "Brownie" (Clapton's sunburst strat) was auctioned.
hide_away wrote:
it brought in a whopping $40,000+.....which means if you commission one thru a Fender dealer...the price will have gone up dramatically from the original $10,000.
I believe this particular instrument was one of the first ones Fender made (out of 100) and if I'm not mistaken it also belonged to Jimmie Vaughan.

As I understood it, a small number of dealers were offered an oppertunity to enter a lotto to get picked to buy one of these guitars. When it was unveiled at NAMM last year, they sold all of them and most of them hadn't even been made yet! Fender sold them for $10,000 a piece. The dealers can sell them for as much as they want to.

Personally I think it's a lame idea. Charging 10k for them is just plain absurd. I'd like to play one because I'm curious to see how the neck feels and how it sounds, but other than that I don't really care. The whole thing is pretty silly. When is someone going to step forward and say "The emperor has no clothes!" You know what I mean? This is the biggest farce I've seen in a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: