Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoo364

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow first TT's Fargen and now the VV RI. Ok gimme the lowdown the VV!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratovarious wrote:
Okay, my mistake on the fuzz. Yeah, you can see it clearly (and hear it, too) on the Austin City limits DVD, and that's what I was thinking of.

On El Mocambo there are two quick camera shots of the floor where you can distinctly see the little green guy -- unmistakeably a Tube Screamer. Whether a TS 808 or TS 9, I can't see. I have a TS 9 that has the newer chip, yet my TS 10 (discontinued) has the earlier chip. Subtle difference; I like them both and occasionally have both in my chain and on.

As to the Mocambo amp thing: I agree that I am hearing something more and clearer on the treble side of things. If you've seen the video, do note that after he pogos around on #1 and ends Third Stone, he goes to the Vibroverb and turns the volume to off with one quick flip of the knob. This kills ALL his sound, and he walks off stage. My question is, How then is he also running the 2nd amp so that it goes silent, too. I mean, how is he jumping to the other amp?

So, this was about how we get Stevie's sound. I get the best results from medium hot single coils. I love CS '54s, but I really get much closer with Tex Specials or CS '69s. I'm sure others in this range will do the trick.

I have a basic (non-fasel) Cry Baby wah which sounds just fine to me. Wouldn't mind having a Clyde McCoy or Vox as well, but the Cry Baby gets it (you know, they are somewhat adjustable).

Strangely, I'm using a new Twin set on the 25 watt thingy right now, giving the RI '63 Vibroverb and RI Bluesbreaker a rest. I really think any Fender-like tube amp is good, although tweeds can get a little woofy at times. Bluesbreakers and JTM 45s do pretty well and are basically copied from the tweeds, so what I find is that 6L6 tubes are critical for much of Stevie's amp sound.

Finally, over the years I've really learned to make love to that guitar neck. There are times to caress and times to drive it home. Again, watch the El Mocambo show, watch his left hand. I don't know how it happened; I've been playing many years, and then one day my fingers just seemed to know what they were supposed to do without me having to think so intellectually about the whole thing. Handle a Strat (or Tele) enough and I think it just comes . . .

I know what you mean about handling strats long enough, there's a certain "learning curve" to getting the most out of them. Learning how to use the different pickups to one's advantage is key as well, you can see SRV flick the switch up and down A LOT everytime he plays.

I'm pretty sure the tubescreamer on El mocambo is an 808, I didn't think the TS9 was out in 1983? Anybody?

Strato - you should try the Teese PW, it's an awesome wah. Plus Geoffrey is the man!

My experience with my Vibroverb clone is that it isn't quite bright enough by itself, unless it's really cranked. I had my Super and my VV hooked up together one time, which was nice, because the VV produced that HUGE sound and the SR provided the highs that the VV was missing. The bright switch on my VV has never functioned properly, so I can't comment on whether or not that would help.

This discussion might be different if we could all crank our amps up as loud as SRV did, you know? We're all talking from a "I get to play mine on 5, maybe 6 if I'm lucky) perspective, LOL. There's only been a few gigs that I've played where I could really crank the hell out of it (usually the last few songs if there's a bunch of people there), and it was an awesome thing!

Cheers,
Troy
stratovarious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Spring, whether I've been gigging regularly or not, I drag much of my gear out to a shed in the woods that has power running to it -- and then I get loud enough to achieve some of the TONE we're always so about here. The only way to get the sounds I hear in my head is to be that loud, that high stage volume thing.

I don't put my amps up all the way, don't need to. But do need to have those 6L6s working out along with preamp overdrive. It's kind of a spring cleaning of sorts; it tells me where my weakest links in my gear are, if tubes are ready for replacing, if effects settings might need a little trimming.

I suppose any rehearsal spot would do as well -- a place to make loud sounds. Funny, it helps clean out sounds that have been accumulating in my head, too.

After playing a few years, I realized that one of my drives to become a famous player was so I could get away with the louder stage volumes regularly. I don't mean earbleed, just up there. You know?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratovarious wrote:

After playing a few years, I realized that one of my drives to become a famous player was so I could get away with the louder stage volumes regularly. I don't mean earbleed, just up there. You know?

LOL, that's awesome. I guess it would be fun to be famous if we could get away with loud stage volumes.

This reminds me, I saw Tommy Castro on Thursday in a place that sits about 300, he had is '65 Super Reverb cranked up all the way, and it was the loudest, most awesome tone!! I wish I could do that Sad

Let's just get famous Strato Wink Smile
Scott Dillman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stubled across this today, great collection of SRV tone info.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.storefront/42155d2b02c874d02741d94dcd01063f/UserTemplate/38

http://www.tonequest.com/ray.htm

~Scott
kenny74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using the Mesa Boogie for my SRV sound. I got a new Twin Reverb that kicks some major arse. I seriously dont know what I was thinking with the Mesa Boogie though. It was a great amp but it was very bassy.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Studio Master Valve Lead Masters Reply with quote

As you do on a Friday night, I just happened to be reading an article about Stevie reprinted from the November '83 Guitar For The Practicing Musician. In the article it mentions this: 'Amplifying the patented Stevie Ray Vaughan sound are two Fender Vibroverbs...two Super Reverbs...a Marshall with two 12s...two Studio Master Valve Lead Masters...one of the legendary Dumble amps...' Anybody know what a Studio Master valve Lead Master is and how long it was a part of SRV's set up?
CocoTone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
Yeah...I am sure there is no fuzz on El Mocambo. Austin City is another story. Great thread guys...the info about "frequencies colliding" in a live setting is interesting. I have this discussion often with friends. What sounds good in the bedroom/basement, rarely sounds good with the bass and drums. I find myself having to be very aware of getting lost in the mix. I think that is why the TS is imperative in my rig. It might sound nasally or honky on it's own...but in the context of a band it provides the "cut". Blackface amps have a scooped sound to me, they sound great on chordal stuff..but IMHO thet need some mid frequency augmentation

Ever notice at the Elmocambo gig that there are no mics on the amps?? Thats pure stage volume being recorded. I ve been to the Elmo in the 70`s,,and it wasn`t a very big club,, plus a low ceiling. Those guys musta been deafening in there!!

CT. Cool
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Dillman wrote:
Stubled across this today, great collection of SRV tone info.

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.storefront/42155d2b02c874d02741d94dcd01063f/UserTemplate/38

http://www.tonequest.com/ray.htm

~Scott

I've read the custom sounds stuff many times. There's so much cool stuff on that site. Not too mention the gear Shocked

Kenny74 - That Twin ought to be pretty good for getting that SRV tone. I had a '68 that nailed his clean tone.

I bet you the Mesa didn't sound that bad though, Walter Trout uses Mesa's and he has some killer tone Laughing
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Studio Master Valve Lead Masters Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
As you do on a Friday night, I just happened to be reading an article about Stevie reprinted from the November '83 Guitar For The Practicing Musician. In the article it mentions this: 'Amplifying the patented Stevie Ray Vaughan sound are two Fender Vibroverbs...two Super Reverbs...a Marshall with two 12s...two Studio Master Valve Lead Masters...one of the legendary Dumble amps...' Anybody know what a Studio Master valve Lead Master is and how long it was a part of SRV's set up?

Salty,

I've heard all kinds of different stories about SRV's Marshall amps. The most common being that he used 200w Marshal Majors, or Marshall Club and Country Combos or JCM 800 Combos.

I have the Finland show where he plays through ALL Marshall JCM 800 combos and sounds killer.

He said that liked to use Marshall's for his clean tone, I personally like his Fender clean tone better.

FWIW, I believe he used Marshall's in his setup from about '85 until his death.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy do I miss my 68 Twin!! I replaced the original speakers with EV SRO's. It was way too heavy..sounded great. I just could not lug the thing around anymore. Selling that amp was one of my true gear screw-ups! I agree with TT, it was great for nailin' SRV's clean tones. Monstrous clean...
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
Boy do I miss my 68 Twin!! I replaced the original speakers with EV SRO's. It was way too heavy..sounded great. I just could not lug the thing around anymore. Selling that amp was one of my true gear screw-ups! I agree with TT, it was great for nailin' SRV's clean tones. Monstrous clean...

Voodoo, I bet those EVs sounded righteous!

I eventually took replaced the 12s with a 15 Weber Cali. It sounded awesome.

I can't put it anybetter "monstrous clean". I'd love to get another one someday.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah TT!!! Weber makes great stuff. Great idea putting their JBL/Cali in that amp. The SRO's are really loud/eficient. I am in the process of getting a coupla' of the new Eminence speakers. I ordered a Gov and a Tonker..we will see how they sound.
Hey was SRV using Bassman combos near the end?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: SRV using Bassmans? Reply with quote

Yeah, he was using them in the studio for In Step. He had like 38 amps miced up for that album (it was in the 30s, just can't remember the exact number), and usually went with the Bassman track. I think I read that in the Crossfire biography, just so ya know. Wall of Denial is probably a good example of the Bassman he was using...just a guess though. I would say it was Dumble SSS + Bassman.

Make sure you tell me how those Tonkers are. I've been eyeing them Wink

Troy
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Tube Screamer debate, Stevie always used two of them: One vintage 60's TS808 and one new TS-9. My guess is (but I really have no way of knowing for sure) is he used the TS808 for the main overdrive (leaving it on most of the time, except for 'cleaner' songs) and kicked in the TS-9 for the extra solo boost.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: