Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Stevie's TONE - who's getting it and how?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
As for the Tube Screamer debate, Stevie always used two of them: One vintage 60's TS808 and one new TS-9. My guess is (but I really have no way of knowing for sure) is he used the TS808 for the main overdrive (leaving it on most of the time, except for 'cleaner' songs) and kicked in the TS-9 for the extra solo boost.

I don't agree with this, but what's new, LOL Wink

There's tons of shows where he only uses one. El Mocambo being one of them. You can see when he steps on it, and when it's not on, his tone is clear as a bell. There's also a lot of older shows where he uses nothing. This is before he got signed of course, and before the Tubescreamer was out, so that's makes sense, LOL.

It would be impossible for him to use a vintage 60s 808, since they came out in the late 70s.

I've seen him use two Tubescreamers on a couple of shows, so you're right to a point. It doesn't end the debate like you say, because he didn't ALWAYS use two of them.

SRV didn't use the tubescreamer as much as people think he did, IMO. I can hear when he turns it on, it's not transparent at all, so its really easy to hear whether or not he's using one. SRV played clean quite a bit, some people tend to forget that. What I mean by clean, is no pedals, because he was getting a tad bit of OD from his amps.

Once again, YMMV, IMHO, blah blah Cool

Here's a once pic with SRV using a TS10

And another with only one tubescreamer, click the link. The photo is copyrighted.
http://srvrocks.com/hulett_pic_01.htm
jono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm i defo agree on the not using 2 screamers together, but i reck he did use 1 quite a lot.
He didnt have the "overdrive" knob turned very high, he used it for volume , and also had tone up so it was quite trebly.

info comes from site below.

http://www26.brinkster.com/jakapa/srv/faq/faq5.htm#53
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono wrote:
mmmm i defo agree on the not using 2 screamers together, but i reck he did use 1 quite a lot.
He didnt have the "overdrive" knob turned very high, he used it for volume , and also had tone up so it was quite trebly.

info comes from site below.

http://www26.brinkster.com/jakapa/srv/faq/faq5.htm#53

My thoughts exactly. I think it would be safe to say that he used atleast 1 TS 100% of the time.

I definitely agree about him using the TS as a boost, rather than an actual overdrive. He would have had a nasty sound if he would've added a bunch of OD from the pedal, he was getting enough from the amps, IMO.

I notice this if I start to add to much OD from my TS based pedal, it gets WAY to honky, from the midhump that the TS creates. Using it as a boost is the way go.
CocoTone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
Yeah TT!!! Weber makes great stuff. Great idea putting their JBL/Cali in that amp. The SRO's are really loud/eficient. I am in the process of getting a coupla' of the new Eminence speakers. I ordered a Gov and a Tonker..we will see how they sound.
Hey was SRV using Bassman combos near the end?

He used an origional `59 Tweed Bassman on Family Style, which , from what I`ve read, was becoming a constant in the studio. Caint beat a tweed Bassman, cept maybe a low powered tweed twin!!

CT.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: