Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - which is the best SRV performance and why ??

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

which is the best SRV performance and why ??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: which is the best SRV performance and why ?? Reply with quote

( this should last for ages LOL )

Me thinks this just an excuse ( if one is needed ) to play all my bootlegs on dvd/video and cd.
I thought of this thread then realized how hard it is to choose...
AmarilloTX 11/27/89 is prob my favourite.
On "Mary" he goes of on an amazing extended solo.,and "leave my girl alone " is just awsome , it starts of slowly and just builds up to an intense solo.

Lets have yours guys.

Jono
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I can't really name a fav. performance, but I can name fav. performances of certain songs...that'll have to do I guess!

Voodoo Chile - Rockpalast '84. Awesome breakdown in this version. I also like the Carnegie Hall version a lot.

Mary Had a Little Lamb - Austin City Limits '89

Texas Flood - El Mocambo

Come On (Pt. III) - Des Moines Iowa '87

Testify - Rockpalast '84.

Wall of Denial - (Can't remember the city, maybe Troy) New York, 1989.

Willie the Wimp - The version from the SRV Box set is great.

Little Wing - Resedo, CA 1983.

There's probably more, but damn, that's a long list already!!

Good thread bro Smile
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trying to name a whole show would be really difficult, one single performance stands out. I have a bootleg called the 'Forgotten Show', from somewhere in the States in '87, post-rehab. Unfortunately, I forget the details because that's one of the many CDs taking up room at my parents' house back home. The sound quality is awful but the version of Ain't Gone & Give Up On Love on there is my idea of a perfect slow blues. As wonderful as the Texas Flood from El Mocambo is as a display of all the things SRV could do on a slow blues, from Albert to Jimi, and as much as I love the SRV-as-Otis-Rush take on Dirty Pool at Carnegie Hall, Give Up On Love is so much more. One of the longest versions of this song that I know of, rather than the 2 or 3 choruses he often took on this song he stretches out for chorus after chorus each one building in intensity from the last. Rather than a showcase of 'Look Ma, I'm doing Albert King' followed by 'Check out my Buddy Guy licks', which Stevie was often guilty of, particularly when he was trying to make a name for himself in the early days, this is a complete musical performance that shows both his chops and his musicality. Wonderful stuff!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: