Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - SRV Influence

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

SRV Influence

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timsalive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: SRV Influence Reply with quote

Howdy all. Hope this isnt too long winded.

My SRV memories go back to 1984. Being clean and sober for a couple of years I picked up Couldnt stand the weather. What a blast. I grew up with a musical uncle who opened for the Stones and Doors. My major influences were Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave, Same Cooke, Beatles and the list goes on. My Rush days were great. Black Oak Arkansas was a trip. I lived just a few miles from their fortress in the Ozarks. I lived all over this great land. Surfed in California. Worked Oil Rigs in Oklahoma. Washed dishes in Colorado. Mixed concrete, taught English in Taiwan. Was a missionary. Life went all over. Stevie Ray gave me the greatest joy in hearing his passion for music. I loved everything he did. I missed his concerts each time he was near because of just strange things. I was in Taiwan when i heard Rockline report his death. It hit me harder than anything.

I was a foster child in 8 homes and never did any of them have the affect that Stevie did. I felt I knew him. Drugs and Alcohol were constant friends before I knew his music. When I saw that he had cleaned up I was so happy for him. I knew great music was to come. In Step may not be the greatest SRV album but it is still full of passion and ressurection of his soul. Riviera Paradise speaks out every time. Tightrope is there to heal. Too many songs bring such joy and pain to me.

At age 42 I had enough so I went and purchased my first Strat. I always wanted to play but life was full of other distractions. 3 kids now and a long job. Commitments and life in general keep me from learning quickly.

I know the music world well. I know great talents regardless of their style. Stevie Ray was by far the most blessed and passion filled guitarist I have ever seen. Now Jimi is also the man but What I am saying is that Stevie had something else. I have seen ZZ Top and Billy Gibbons is outstanding. His history with Hendrix and old barroom days with Edgar and Johnny Winter are notable. Duane Allman never got to reach his potential but Clapton knew how good he was. BB, Albert, Albert, Freddie,Buddy, and so many others also knew how good Stevie was. Before his death they paid homage to him. Eric knew that Stevie was never lost in the blues. He could only admire him. For that alone I respect Eric so much. I once saw Eric, Jimmy Page Jeff Beck and others in a concert for Ronnie Lane. It was great but I still see SRV in the videos and say he was the heighth of it all to which all others should aspire.

What more is there to say about our fallen hero? He blessed us with his music. Even though many dont talk much about his collaboration with Jimmie on Family Style, it sticks out as a fitting tribute. That is what music is all about. 2 brothers enjoying each others company and making great music.

Do I miss SRV? As I listen to his music so very often, I miss the fact that others might not hear what I do. A man that saw is blessing for what it was from God and he acknowleged it. SRV was and is a driving force in the real world of music. Not what sony and the others say.

I am greatful for what little music is there from Stevie. I enjoyed his passion on MTV unplugged. Just wish I could see it since all I have is an auio version.

Hope I didnt boar you with my thoughts but this is the perfect place to share what I feel about my brother in heart Stevie Ray Vaughan

Tim
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said. Very Happy I think we have all been influenced by SRV in some great way, mentally and spiritually.

As for the video of MTV unplugged, I have it on my computer, but it is too big to transfer. I know where you can get it though...send me a PM.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brother!

Welcome to the forum Tim!

Cheers,

Troy
CocoTone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family style is without a doubt, to me anyways, his best work. So much fun jumps out at you.You feel the connection between the two. And I think it has some of his best tones ever.

CT. Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: