Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - How to turn Deluxe Reverb into SRV sounding amp

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

How to turn Deluxe Reverb into SRV sounding amp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tosta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: How to turn Deluxe Reverb into SRV sounding amp Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any way to turn DRRI into SRV sounding amp. It is said to be very versatile amp designed for blues with that clean Fender sound and reverb. In the same time it is not what SRV used and it was written here it is not really something SRV sound can be reproduced. On other Forum I read that on the contrary for the budget of aroung USD 800 this is the best choice and that SRV sound can be achieved. I wonder what you think of it and whether indeed there is a way to tailor DRRI towards SRV sound. Please advise.
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three things I would do:

• Clip the Bright Cap on the treble pot on the inside. Those deluxe reverbs have a bright cap that really makes those things ice-picky. Just snip it off and it will react like a typical blackface amp.

• Put a 5751 Tube in the V2 and V4 slots of the amp. It will lower the gain a bit, but will give you a smoother overdrive.

• Put a EVM 12L speaker replacement in the amp. THe Jensens sound great for typical playing, but you'll need to get that amp cooking to get anything near SRV. EV speakers are VERY articulate high-wattage speakers that don't break up at all, and don't color the tone of the amp.

http://www.shelleygrund.com/recording/Recordings.htm
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude where the hell can you get EVM speakers. I may just be kind of a retard but I can't find em. Help me out...

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
dude where the hell can you get EVM speakers. I may just be kind of a retard but I can't find em. Help me out...

LOL... they are not the easiest to find. I've found luck when just going to guitar forums and asking members. Lots of players have them just sitting around.

eBay is probably the best source though. For my 10" speakers, it took me 3-4 months of searching to finally get all 4 (and even then i had one that needed reconing).

Now, EVM12Ls are much easier to find. ebay has them all the time, but more importantly, EV started reissuing that speaker this year. THey are a bit expensive ($225+) but at least they are available.

Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, thanks for the info. Have you heard the Weber Michigans? They are supposed to be like the EVMs but I don't know much about em. Let me know...

-SRV
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakneckblues wrote:
nice, thanks for the info. Have you heard the Weber Michigans? They are supposed to be like the EVMs but I don't know much about em. Let me know...

yes I've heard of them, but no personal experience. The way I figure, everything with gear is either the real thing, or something trying to be the real thing... If I want EV tone, I get EV'sSmile I"m sure the webers are good, but they are lower in magnet weight and they are not exact replicas. Try them out and let us know what you think.

voodoo364

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a twin with "alnico coffee can" EV SRO's..the heaviest friggin' amp I ever carried..impossible to lift. It was even heavier than my bud's "coffin" Marshall cab. I has thunderous clean tone for days...awesome. The Weber Michigan's are good...I really don't hear a big difference between the ceramic and the alnico. I like Weber's stuff. The Eminence Tonker sounds good too. A lot of SRV guys swear by the Emi Swamp Thang..have not tried it yet.
hazmat33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamedojo wrote:

• Clip the Bright Cap on the treble pot on the inside. Those deluxe reverbs have a bright cap that really makes those things ice-picky. Just snip it off and it will react like a typical blackface amp.

Can anyone give me more info on how to do this?

Thanks!
Gamedojo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazmat33 wrote:
Gamedojo wrote:

Can anyone give me more info on how to do this?

Thanks!

Here is a diagram I quickly made. The cap isn't on the treble, but rather the volume pot. Open your amp up, and look at the back of the control knob pots and you'll see the cap. Just simply take wire cutters and remove the cap. Its easy:)

rockanicals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi boys

Recover topic

Gamedojo recommends disconnecting normal channel and vibrato ?
Someone has diagrams of how to do it ?

Cheers.
rockanicals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can disconnect channel normal in deluxe reverb ? Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: