Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - How Many Own The Fender SRV Strat?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

How Many Own The Fender SRV Strat?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratovarious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: How Many Own The Fender SRV Strat? Reply with quote

I'd heard it was out a few months before. Walked into my favorite local music store and -- there it was on the wall. Snapped it up. Would have sold my car to get it. Found out later that I got a really good one, too. Some others I've played don't quite feel as good and can't tell why.

I scratch pickguards right where the SRV is, so I put a nice tortiose-shell brown on there and mounted original pickguard (with little gold screws!) to my studio wall. It's a conversation piece and protected for posterity or my grandchildren, whatever. Otherwise it's stock. I actually like it better than the relic'd ones I've seen. The finish is beautiful! I've had it all these years.

I'm glad the original pickguard is not on mine, 'cause now it tends to confuse the heck out of other (un-SRV hip) guitarists as to what model I'm playing. Also, nobody asks me to play "Free Bird" anymore (just joking).

Do you have an SRV. How's yours holding up?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SRV strat (got it new in 2001 I believe) and love everything about it, except the frets. They are too narrow, I like the height, but I need some more roundness to em. I'll probably get 6100s when I'm due for a refret. I have 6100s in my Warmoth strat and love 'em.

I replaced the Texas Specials in my SRV Strat w/ Van Zandt Rock pickups. They aren't a HUGE improvement, but they are a little more articulate when compared to the Texas Specials. Not sure if they were worth the money though, but I'll keep them in there.

I replaced the pickgaurd on mine with a simple white pickgaurd, I'll probably go black soon, it doesn't matter either way. I just thought the SRV pickgaurd was cheesy, so I took it off. I'm saving it for keepsake though.

I put my girlfriends initials on the back of the guitar, I think it looks neat.

The guitar itself seems to be holding up great, I'm not a real clean freak so the bridge is getting a little tarnished, as are the tuners, but everything else is okay. There's a couple chips out of the upper horn, not sure how they happened. It's gotten a lot of play time so it there was lots of opportunity for it to get beat up.

The tweed case looks like hell. Draggin' it to gigs and practices really did a number on it. It looks like a relic case or something! It also has a couple corners chewed up from my boxer, it's okay though, I like her more than the case any way Very Happy

It's the one on the left Wink
jono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought mine new in 95 .
had it refretted once, with jumbo frets.
run it on 13-56 guage in Eb and use it with a ts9 ( 808 spec ) ts10, fuzz face and vox wah.
Amp is a 67 super reverb and i also a a 1970 duel showman reverb.

Jon
garp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine new in '04. I had sort of been looking for a vintage USA Strat. I tried other SRV's but none of 'em felt right except this one. I was going to change out the pickguard to a plain black or tortise shell but it didn't look right so I left it alone. I love having a tone control for the back pickup too. I'm not a fan of Texas specials but they are perfect for this guitar.
boogiechillin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an SRV strat in 2002. From a guy on eBay (talked to him on the phone first). The thing was absolutely mint! It's a '92 according to the serial number, I think the previous owner must have had it sitting in a closet for ten years. I took a gamble and it worked out (I couldn't afford a new one), and I've been playing it every day since! All my guitar player friends want to buy it from me... but there's no way.... I did change the pickguard because playing out with the "SRV" one is downright embarrassing.

I do wanna check out the Sonny Landreth model strat when it comes out tho'
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boogiechillin wrote:

I do wanna check out the Sonny Landreth model strat when it comes out tho'

Apparently it's got an almost perfectly flat fretboard. Great if you want to do all the behind the slide stuff Sonny does, but surely weird for standard playing? Are you a slide player, Boogie? Oh and welcome to the board.

Cheers

Salty
voodoo364

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TT, what do you run the EQ at on your VV? Where did you get the plexi panel?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo,

I usually run my VV as follows-

Volume: 4-7, its nice to be able to get to atleast 6

Treble: 6-8, the louder I turn the volume up, the more treble I give her, this amp, for whatever reason is not very bright for a Fender. And my bright switch doesn't work Sad

Bass: 3-4

Reverb: normally no reverb, but sometimes I'll get it up to 2.

The plexi shield and sorber unit (the big foam thing behind the amp) is a combo package from www.clearsonic.com

Check 'em out, it really makes a difference.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an early 90's (1993 i believe) SRV strat and i love it. replaced the black pickguard with a mint green one and all the gold hardware with chrome. not my number one but it plays like a dream.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: