Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - being original

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

being original
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the idea that I was talking about you V-13? You assume too much. Perhaps you need to find a healthy outlet for the excess level of testosterone you seem to have. Nobody is trying to pick on you, or pick a fight with you. Down boy! Wink

And who said anything about 'hating SRV'? It wasn't me. I like SRV just fine, it's the wankers who try to copy his playing I can do without. Try sitting in the audience at a jam session and listening to a dozen guys go through their paces as they rehash variations of the same tired shit all night. Take it from me, it gets old real quick.

The way y'all go on the defensive reminds me of cable news pundits who blurt out "Why do you hate America?" any time someone has a harsh word to say about a politician. Rolling Eyes Not exactly a rational argument, but then again we're not living in rational times either.

Carry on.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I carried most of what bluzplaya said over to you, but my point remains the same. I'm tired of havin to argue with people just to listen and play the music I love.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where V-13 couldn't have thought you were talking about him, or anyone who plays like SRV for that matter, me included.

"I like SRV just fine, it's the wankers who try to copy his playing I can do without."

We both try to copy his playing to some extent. How could we have taken you're comment any other way?

NOT attacking anyone here, just discussing. I don't ya to think I'm mad here. Just telling things from my perspective, as I am sure you are doing the same thing Smile
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word on wankers and the subject of wanking.

Most people will agree that masturbation is perfectly normal, healthy behavior, with a few exceptions. Having said that, I think most people would also agree that the aformentioned act should be performed in private not public.

Now, let's take that idea and apply it to certain types of guitar playing...

Do you see a paralell? Laughing
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Melon Chitlin wrote:
A word on wankers and the subject of wanking.

Most people will agree that masturbation is perfectly normal, healthy behavior, with a few exceptions. Having said that, I think most people would also agree that the aformentioned act should be performed in private not public.

Now, let's take that idea and apply it to certain types of guitar playing...

Do you see a paralell? Laughing

LMAO!!! Very Happy

As mad as that makes me, I have to say that its funny as hell!
Adam H

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay, fine. Yes, everyone needs to get their own identity. What irritates me is guys that get on these forums and preach to us lowly peons about the importance of being "original". I don't mind taking advice like that from Robben Ford, Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Jimmy Page, Hendrix or SRV - those guys are legends for a reason. However, I don't take advice from some name-dropper that was in training pants when I started playing. It's an insult. So Vince, please, before you take to telling people you DON'T EVEN KNOW and have NEVER HEARD PLAY what they should aspire to, remember that nobody asked you.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im gonna be the bigger person here and apologize for the way i came off. i was trying to make a point and it came out wrong. i was simply stating that to be yourself is alot harder than trying to sound like someone else.

As far as me taking alot of what I play from chris, um yeah maybe I have, but the most important thing i have taken from him were his INFLUENCES. And believe me i've spent time studying under chris and he'd much rather talk about john coltrane and bach than Stevie. As would I. I dont even own a Stevie Ray album anymore. And to say that I try to sing like Chris....is just insane. I mean come on. I'd much rather learn how to sing like Stevie Wonder or Donny Hathaway than Chris Duarte. My cover of C-Butt Rock was my tribute and thanks to Chris, just paying homage and not trying to do anything more than that. Oh and by the way, He loved it! Chris is from texas, and for those of you who havent lived there or been there, that sound is all over the place. It was there BEFORE stevie came along. I've heard it before and i certainly agree...it's in the air. i highly recommend spending time there if you ever get the chance.

I've worked hard at trying to create my own sound. And because of it everything i've ever dreamed of is starting to take shape. I dont deny that Stevie's a big part of my style because he is, but he's not the most important element. And i certainly dont HATE Stevie. He's one of the greatest and always will be.

And ummm if i have seen and heard things correctly i have heard a few of you play because you have posted audio clips.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRV listened to--and learned from--every great blues musician who was ever recorded, and that's how he developed his style. He also knew a thing or two about jazz, where as 99% of the clones & wannabes couldn't comp a jazz standard (much less solo over the changes) if their lives depended on it. We've all heard about pre-pubecent kids who can wail the blues just like Stevie Wayne Hendrix, but when do you ever hear about a kid who can do Wes Montgomery tunes note for note? Mr. Green

i like that you mention that. a couple of my fave songs to play are Giant Steps and All Blues. I love goin to jazz jams and playin out of a real book. great times!!!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRV listened to--and learned from--every great blues musician who was ever recorded, and that's how he developed his style. He also knew a thing or two about jazz, where as 99% of the clones & wannabes couldn't comp a jazz standard (much less solo over the changes) if their lives depended on it. We've all heard about pre-pubecent kids who can wail the blues just like Stevie Wayne Hendrix, but when do you ever hear about a kid who can do Wes Montgomery tunes note for note?

It's a valid point but the reasons for that are more to do with popularity and looking cool than anything else, I would hesitate to guess. When was your average kid ever interested in copping any jazz musician? I'm sure if kids were actually exposed to Wes, Miles, Coltrane, Bird, whoever, some may want to copy that style. But many would rather emulate something that does not have the whiff of mothballs and the conservatory. There's nothing that excites your average teenager more than the thought of playing in a suit to a small group of middle-aged, male anoraks.

And for the record, Wes was (is?) as much the spark for a generation of copyists, some good who developed their own voice (or perhaps, more accurately, an extension of Wes' voice) such as George Benson and some bad who never got over with the jazz elite, as Jimi was in the sixties & seventies, Edward Van Halen was in the shred scene of the eighties and SRV is around the time of his death until now. In the case of Wes and Van Halen people tended to copy fairly superficial technical aspects of their playing, octaves in Wes' case and two-handed tapping in Ed's. Both have become accepted parts of guitar vocabulary although prone to backlash. Now, the market for jazz is much smaller. You're not going to hear that on the radio in the family car when you're on a road trip unless your fossils are big jazz fans. Hell, you'd be lucky to hear any guitar on a lot of stations.

Wes' influence has passed just as Stevie's will and another great player will be inspiring young kids to pick up the guitar. I wonder who that will be.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: