Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - new topic!!! which pedals and amps do you guys use???

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

new topic!!! which pedals and amps do you guys use???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which overdrive/distortion do you use?
Boss Blues Driver
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TS9 or 808 Tubescreamer
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Boss DS-1 Distortion
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ibanez SD-9 Sonic Distortion
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Maxon OD-808
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: new topic!!! which pedals and amps do you guys use??? Reply with quote

ok i want to start over with a new thread. something more productive...

which pedals do you guys use for your lead tones? I've been using a Boss DS-1 for awhile and I really love the versatility. I can get more dirt out of it than a tubescreamer. I used to use both but it gave me a really muddy sound through my vibroking. So now i replaced my ts9 with a modified
Boss EQ.

For amps I usually go with a vibroking and 67 or 68 super reverb chained together. It's a loud rig but it does the job i need it to.

Last edited by bluz_playa85 on Sun May 22, 2005 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really put more choices up there.

I use a Sparkle Drive, a Maxon OD808, and MJM Blues Devil
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
You should really put more choices up there.

I use a Sparkle Drive, a Maxon OD808, and MJM Blues Devil

i thought about that but it was really late last night when i did this...lemme fix that now.

how do you like the sparkle drive? i used to have the maxon od-808 but i didint care much for it.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody use a fuzz face? I have one that's a copy of the Fulltone '69 pedal that a friend made for me. Because of the power set up it doesn't work well with my other pedals and I don't use it anymore. I'd be interested to hear if anybody uses the Diaz, AnalogMan or any of the other clones.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
I'd be interested to hear if anybody uses the Diaz, AnalogMan or any of the other clones.

i've heard good things about the Diaz fuzz. its supposed to be really transparent and warm. not brittle like the reissue fuzz faces.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dunlop fuzz faces are terrible, aren't they? Has anybody tried the ZenDrive? I'm quite interested in getting one of those with all the great things I'm hearing about it. V-13 tell us a bit more about the Sparkle Drive. How do you have it set up in your chain?
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the fuzz face reissues are really horrible. awhile back i went to Austin Vintage Guitars and plugged one into a JCM 800 marshall head thinking "cool this should sound like Jimi"...boy was i wrong. It was so harsh and trebley that it killed my ears. I messed with it for a few minutes but to no avail. Dont know why they are so bad!!!

im curious about the sparkle drive too though...[/list]
kenny74

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Fuzz Face a while back and it gives a nice thick tone.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fuzz Face as well but it's a piece of sh*t as far as I'm concerned. The tones are terrible...not even usable. There's a huge overload when your guitar volume is above 9.

The sparkle drive is a fairly new pedal for me... I've always been interested in it and finally broke down. Basically it's got the TS-808 tube screamer sound with modern features like true bypass and the clean mix. Personally, I don't use the clean knob very much unless I want just a solid clean boost. The pedal works really well for gritty overdrive without becoming overpowering like some other pedals. The manufacturer says it is completely "transparent" but that's a bunch of BS. EVERY guitar pedal will color your tone. This one just does it slightly less.

My sparkle drive is a neat little pedal, but it's not the "miracle drug" that I wanted it to be when I bought it. I think I like the Blues Devil much more and I still get more use out of my Maxon OD808
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah V-13, the Sparkle Drive is definitely not transparent. Its a tubescreamer more or less, so it definately colors your tone, lol.

Right now, my band-less ass is using this stuff.

Strats into -->Teese PW-->Boss TU-2-->-->Bad Bob-->MJM Custom 2 Channel OD-->Barber LTD-->Analogman Clone Chorus--->Custom Fargen Blackbird or Vibroverb, mostly the Fargen.

I've had to sell off some stuff, which is okay, because like I said, I'm not in a band right now, damnit.

Got rid of a few fuzzes and ODs, much to my regret, but whatever.

Next on list....Mojo Vibe or Deja Vibe (love to revisit the Deja Vibe) and fuzzzzzzz..

Salty,

I had the NKT-275 Sunface w/ Sundial for a while. It was sweet. A little expensive, but I liked it a lot. Doesn't work as well w/ Blackface amps as it does EL 84 or EL 34 amps, that was the only drawback for me, because I use BF amps.

I also was using the MJM London Fuzz Si version. That was the best fuzz for BF amps, IMO. But it got a little lost in the mix, unfortunately.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
yes the fuzz face reissues are really horrible. awhile back i went to Austin Vintage Guitars and plugged one into a JCM 800 marshall head thinking "cool this should sound like Jimi"...boy was i wrong. It was so harsh and trebley that it killed my ears. I messed with it for a few minutes but to no avail. Dont know why they are so bad!!!
[/list]

Apparently it's because they don't use germanium transistors. At least that's what AnalogMan claims on his site: http://analogman.com/fuzzface.htm.

V13, cheers on the Sparkle Drive review. Maxon make solid pedals. I have an S & D II, which sounds great but has a gremlin in it somewhere and keeps crapping out. It's surprisingly versatile.

TT, I hear a lot of good stuff about MJM. It'd be nice to try before buying. I haven't found anywhere that stocks them here, yet. On a related note, I saw a Chicago Iron Octavia the other day. They wanted about $500 for it. Guess I'll stick with the Proctavia.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:

Right now, my band-less ass is using this stuff.

Strats into -->Teese PW-->Boss TU-2-->-->Bad Bob-->MJM Custom 2 Channel OD-->Barber LTD-->Analogman Clone Chorus--->Custom Fargen Blackbird or Vibroverb, mostly the Fargen.

i like how u posted your rig. lets see some more of those. here's mine...

strats - tu2 boss tuner - vox mccoy wah - boss ds1 distortion - modded boss eq - boss ce5 chorus - boss dd3 delay ----> vibroking chained to a 67 and/or 68 blackface super reverb

i just notice i use mostly all boss pedals. never really paid much attention before lol. i like em because they never seem to fail on me and i've seem to have gotten lucky and always got ones that sound good.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
bluz_playa85 wrote:
[/list]

Apparently it's because they don't use germanium transistors. At least that's what AnalogMan claims on his site: http://analogman.com/fuzzface.htm.

V13, cheers on the Sparkle Drive review. Maxon make solid pedals. I have an S & D II, which sounds great but has a gremlin in it somewhere and keeps crapping out. It's surprisingly versatile.

TT, I hear a lot of good stuff about MJM. It'd be nice to try before buying. I haven't found anywhere that stocks them here, yet. On a related note, I saw a Chicago Iron Octavia the other day. They wanted about $500 for it. Guess I'll stick with the Proctavia.

I am so mad that I sold my CI Octavian...grrr. That was retarded.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:

i like how u posted your rig. lets see some more of those. here's mine...

No snickering at the back!

'57 RI Strat, '93 LP Standard or '80's Schecter tele copy (for slide) into V-847 Wah, Voodoo Labs Proctavia, gaping hole where my FF or Maxon S & D used to be, TS-9 DX, MXR Dyna-Comp, a phaser a mate made, Maxon echo, Boss TU-2 into Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Adam H

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play my '72 Les Paul and my Mexican Tele with Bigsby into a Cry Baby (which I barely use). It's got the true bypass and Torres Engineering "fat" mod in it. I then go into a Barber Electronics Direct Drive, which is by far the best distortion box I've ever had. Only problem is it's got too much gain - they make a version called the LTD which is lower gain. On the Direct Drive, I've got the gain set to 9:00 or so, and it's PLENTY of dirt. If you haven't gotten one, they're only $100, and they are just incredible sounding. Then, it's to my '67 or '68 Gibson Falcon, which is all tube, about 18-20 watts. I use channel two, which is no reverb or tremolo. I got that amp for $150, and have re-tubed it and had a cap job done on it. It's a great amp, and very loud for the wattage.

I had a Sparkle Drive, and hated it. Before I got the Direct Drive, I had a Visual Sound Route 66, which was a very good sounding pedal, but I'm not a compression fan. Also, I had a Boss OD-3 for a while, and I really liked it, and should never have sold it.

Seriously, get a Direct Drive or the LTD. It's just perfect sounding, no coloring of the tone, pretty quiet, and you can adjust the bass manually. It also has a pull-out pot that acts as a fat switch, or as the manual says, "those expensive California amp tones", by which they of course mean Dumble, and I'd say it's pretty close. The only pedal I've ever heard that was better than this is a $400 Budda Phatman, and I'd rather buy another old tube amp with the extra $300!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: