Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - new topic!!! which pedals and amps do you guys use???

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

new topic!!! which pedals and amps do you guys use???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which overdrive/distortion do you use?
Boss Blues Driver
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
TS9 or 808 Tubescreamer
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Boss DS-1 Distortion
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Ibanez SD-9 Sonic Distortion
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Maxon OD-808
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

UncleSalty

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam H wrote:
Then, it's to my '67 or '68 Gibson Falcon, which is all tube, about 18-20 watts. I use channel two, which is no reverb or tremolo. I got that amp for $150, and have re-tubed it and had a cap job done on it. It's a great amp, and very loud for the wattage.

Where did you get the Falcon? Is it class A or A/B? (Do Gibson make A/B amps?) It sounds really sweet in your description.
62strat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'62 RI Strat or Frankenstein Strat w/ Texas Specials--->Vox Wah--->TS-9--->Original Uni-Vibe--->Hot Rod Deville 4x10

I want a new amp!!!! I'm thinking about trading my HRDeville 4x10 in for a Tweed Relic'd Blues Jr. I really want to get a Deluxe Reverb RI but I'm to broke to spend anymore money right now and I don't want to give up anymore of my gear on a trade. I would be willing to get off my MIM Strat but that plus my HRDeville wouldn't be enough to get a Deluxe Reverb.
Adam H

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Falcon about a year ago at a place in Anna, Illinois called Mayberry Music. It's in far southern Illinois, right down the road from where Tom Murphey lives. I used to live pretty close to there, and actually, one of the guys in my home town that owned a guitar shop was friends with Tom Murphey, and had a Les Paul refinished by him, which of course looked amazing. Anyway, I also have a '68 30-watt Gibson Duo-Medalist, which is also a great amp but is in desperate need of a cap job and some other small repairs. If you ever run across the old Gibsons, buy them - they're usually pretty close copies of Fender circuits. The Duo-Medalist has some weird tubes in it, but I've been told that otherwise it is exactly like a Deluxe. Also, all the components are better - all orange drop caps and brown carbon comp resistors. They're usually a great bargain, too. Only thing is they're pretty friggin' ugly... Mine both have this awful, plastic wood-grain-looking stuff under the knobs. I love them, they're sort of unique, and sound great.
Adam H

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, I think it's A/B, it certainly doesn't sound like class A. A Gibson factory had a fire years ago, so it's a little hard to find information on these amps.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound like great finds. The used amp market here is nowhere near as diverse as the States so my chances of finding something like that are pretty slim. Do you think the ugliness factor is why Gibson amps never became popular? The class-A amps from the '50s are really sweet but nowhere near as prized as even CBS-era Fenders it seems to me.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm..right now it's the AB 763 Bandmaster into a 1x15 Weber Cali cab. Fulltone Fulldrive II,Bad Bob,Budda Wah, Fulltone 'vibe.
Adam H

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they're pretty ugly. Fender's just have that timeless look, while Gibson amps from this era look like ugly footstools that your parents threw out with their lava lamps. I think they're great finds. Mike Bloomfield used a Falcon & a Les Paul to record the first track on Super Session with Al Kooper & Stephen Stills, and his tone is on that song is really cool. To my ears, the Gibsons sound better with humbuckers, but I guess that makes sense. I always thought Fenders sounded better with single coils, too, but maybe it's all in the name. As far as popularity, who knows? As far as I know, Gibson amps never had a major celebrity endorser. Fender has had all the country guys over the years, as well as de facto endorsement from SRV, Albert Collins, BB King... Even Carlos Santana was using modded Fenders until Mesa Boogie built an overdriven clone of a Fender amp. I love mine, I wouldn't give it up for anything.
alquimista

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a battered Highway 1 Strato (maple fretboard) fitted with 10-52 strings and texas specials pickups to a Morley Classic Wah to a Marshall Blues Breaker 2 pedal to a Fender Vibroverb Reissue amp.

I used Jim Dunlop plectrums (the purple ones).
62strat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alquimista are you from Michigan?? your rig sounds like someone I know....
I'm still married to my first wife, she's a '59 Stratocaster. I've always called her my first wife. She don't talk back to me she talks for me. She don't scream at me she screams for me and sho has a sweet tone when she do....
alquimista

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alquimista are you from Michigan?? your rig sounds like someone I know....

I'm from Madrid, Spain 5,000 Kms from Michigan Very Happy
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, are Marshall amps expensive in the US?

Here in England you get a really good top for about $600.

A reissue Vibroverb is around $3000.00

Joe Bonamassa likes Marshalls, you can hear that tone all over his stuff, and here in UK he had a stack live. SRV had them aswell when abroad too.
johnnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my setup:

Japan 62 RI strat or USA 94 strat with texas specials, or 2004 USA fat strat deluxe with noiseless > Budda Wah > Visual Sound Route 66 > Gristle King > UniVibe> Line 6 Echo Park > Boss Tuner > 1969 Super reverb with Jensen Chicago 30 watt ceramics.

i normally leave the boost side of the gristle king on all the time as well as the compressor side of the route 66, i step on the overdrive on the route 66 for leads, and for an extra over the top gain boost i step on the gristle side of the gristle king.

i use a short delay sometimes when doing red house or buddy guy type stuff.
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my setup as simply as I can based on SRV's sound. SO.....

Hamiltone Custom (NOT the SRV model) or American Strats (.013-.056 strings) --> Teese Picture Wah --> AnalogMan modified TS 808 --> Fulltone Octafuzz --> Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse (Think super reverb on steroids) Canare cable & switchcraft throughout.

The Octafuzz produces amazing octave up/fuzz sounds for those Hendrix-esque romps. I just don't use it too much in my style o blues. The Teese is overpriced but great. My 808 has a new vintage THROATY voice thanks to Analog man. The Roadhouse is 4X10 and sounds as good as any Black Face Super Reverb I have played. It lacks the harshness and sting that I have found in most BF Supers. Simply put, It is the Balls. (Buddy Guy plays his Chicago Blues Box signature amp)[/img][/list]
Russell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my Variax through a Line6 Pod.

Ha Ha!!!
Breakneckblues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a little out of the norm considering most of the preceding postings. Any reason for it? Does it sound any good?

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: