Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985 - anybody see this yet?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985 - anybody see this yet?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985 - anybody see this yet? Reply with quote

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002SPPSC/theonlinedi00-20/104-3919390-4810300?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

Quote:
Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
If you have even a passing interest in Stevie Ray Vaughan's peerless mastery of urban blues guitar, you must own Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985. Spaced almost exactly three years apart, these concerts (60 and 93 minutes, respectively) represent the Texan blues god at his fiery best, with Double Trouble (drummer Chris Layton and bassist Tommy Shannon) laying the solid foundation upon which SRV built a Fender-driven sound as fierce as it was perfectly refined. The '82 show was truly "success in disguise," because despite booing from a festival audience lulled by a day of acoustic blues, and the stunned dejection that SRV felt after persevering through a uncompromising set, this was the turning point in SRV's career, leading to post-show encounters with Jackson Browne and David Bowie, who proved instrumental in bringing Stevie's music to an appreciative global audience.

When Stevie, Chris, and Tommy returned to Switzerland three years later, with organist Reese Wynans adding rich new dimension to the Double Trouble sound, the Montreux crowd was primed for a rip-snorting set, and SRV's jubilant response is a joyous thing to witness. One of SRV's favorite bluesmen, Johnny Copeland, appears for a three-song triumph in a set that's uniformly superior and ecstatically energized. Basic three-camera coverage is all you need, although guitar students--for whom this DVD is a godsend--will surely wish for more emphasis on SRV's picking and fretwork. Recording quality is superb in the Montreux tradition, with 5.1-channel remixes that surpass the original masters. A splendid 23-minute documentary features retrospective interviews with Layton, Shannon, Browne, and John Mayer, and the accompanying booklet includes a heartfelt reminiscence from Bowie. Stevie Ray may be gone, but Live at Montreux ensures that his gold-standard legacy will endure. --Jeff Shannon

Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: 82/85 Montreaux Reply with quote

I bought it as soon as it appeared.

The video and audio are excellent. The accompanying documentary provides the background. David Bowie, Jackson Browne, Double Trouble...it's all there. The first disk is the historic show in which SRV was booed. The second is his repeat performance.

The one curiosity is John Mayer's interview in the documentary. But, when he's not wooing the ladies with his sensitive songs, JM can play a little guitar, I'm told. Mayer's quotable quote, paraphrased, ...many players can get the SRV intensity for a moment, but he had it all...100% of the time.

Finally, it wasn't ridiculously priced, like many DVDs out there.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'82 - Awesome.. Raw, vintage SRV. I loved it.

'85 - Yuck. Drugged out, spacey SRV. Couldn't stand the playing or the tone.
Stratasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with TTrahan, I was slightly disapointed. The '85 show wasn't what I expected, a little lack luster, and not enough (barely) any "Number 1".
I think it pales in comparison to the El Mocambo or Live at Austin City Limits '83/'89 tapes.

Tommy
hide_away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with the last 2 posters. The first performance ('82) was far better than the '85 performance.
In the first one...ALL of them (not just Stevie) were fresh and "hungry" for the live audience...regardless of the crowd's lack of enthuiasm. Their set was tight...and "on there".
The '85 set was...like one poster said...YUK. I got the distinct impression that Stevie was trying to hide his problems by layering on a persona. Way too much excess of everything going on there. I was put off by the way he seemed to be "sniffing" and wiping his nose within the first few songs....and his appearance was gaunt. While I love Stevie and DT...I just thought their second set was like watching a train wreck...and it's hard for me to admit that because of my respect for him and the band.
The Austin City Limits performances are a very similar comparison. His first set was muddy...and he looked desperately out of place...nervous...and a mess in general. The second set was a delight to watch. He was focused and having fun with the whole experience. His playing was far better...but I noticed his personal attitude more. There was lots of eye-contact between him and the audience...he was smiling and the songs were tight.
And I think when Stevie was having a good performance....DT fed off that and the whole thing was just so much fun to watch and listen to.

Sorry for rambling......but I just love talking with others who share the same fascinating interest we call Stevie Ray Vaughan.
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered this DVD back in early September.

I agree with y'all that the 1982 show is truly amazing, and the 1985 show is a bit mediocre. The El Mocambo DVD is my personal favorite, followed by Montreaux '82, with Austin City Limits as a pretty close third. I also have the Live in Japan DVD which is pretty good (except for the weird roto-vibe sound Stevie has for most of the show), and the Live at the Rockpalast DVD which has poor sound quality, but some of the playing is very cool.
hide_away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roto vibe? In his vocals or his guitar?

My brother Jimmie always said I played like I was breaking out of jail.
~Stevie Ray Vaughan
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On his guitars... I don't know what the actual pedal is, but it has a distinct oscillating effect. Some kinda fake Leslie speaker thingy -- a bit cheesey sounding, but the playing is inspired (as usual).
hide_away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JimmyJames...
not much into the tech side of guitars. If I knew more then I probably would be. LOL
But....here's a link to an old Stevie interview where he talks all sorts of technique....maybe something in this interview might shed some light on what he was using then. The interview is from Oct. 1984.

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/archive/artists/vaughan84.shtml

~Stevie Ray Vaughan
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Hide Away !!

Yeah, it's probably the Fender Vibratone speaker-cab he mentions in the interview. It may sound good on the record, but it sounds a bit cheesey on this live DVD. I guess that's what you'd expect from a 10-inch styrofoam speaker...

By the way, SRV's version of "Hideaway" at the Montreaux '82 show is simply awesome !!
hide_away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome JimmyJames.
I'll have to take your word on the tech talk. Shocked LOL.
As for his version of Hide Away....definitely my favorite. But I'm also partial to Give Me Back My Wig. That has got to be one of the funnest (ok I was never hooked on phonics as a child. I know that's an improper word. LOL) songs I've ever heard. The man can really play slide...but the song itself just rips me apart. It's got that whimsical feel to it and I really can't picture anyone but Stevie doing it. Of course...he could sing the phone book and it would probably bring me to my knees. Razz

~Stevie Ray Vaughan
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hide_away wrote:
You're welcome JimmyJames.
I'll have to take your word on the tech talk. Shocked LOL.
As for his version of Hide Away....definitely my favorite. But I'm also partial to Give Me Back My Wig. That has got to be one of the funnest (ok I was never hooked on phonics as a child. I know that's an improper word. LOL) songs I've ever heard. The man can really play slide...but the song itself just rips me apart. It's got that whimsical feel to it and I really can't picture anyone but Stevie doing it. Of course...he could sing the phone book and it would probably bring me to my knees. Razz

I like Stevie's version of Gimme Back My Wig but Hound Dog Taylor OWNS that song. Stevie's technically better but Hound Dog has the vibe. And the extra digits...
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyJames wrote:
Thanks for the link, Hide Away !!

Yeah, it's probably the Fender Vibratone speaker-cab he mentions in the interview. It may sound good on the record, but it sounds a bit cheesey on this live DVD. I guess that's what you'd expect from a 10-inch styrofoam speaker...

By the way, SRV's version of "Hideaway" at the Montreaux '82 show is simply awesome !!

It is the Vibratone.

That's the sound he used for Cold Shot until later in his career when he stopped using the Vibratone live..

I like when he used it live, sometimes he just over used it. YMMV, IMO, blah blah Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: