Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - John Mayer and the blues?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

John Mayer and the blues?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: John Mayer and the blues? Reply with quote

Ok, so what is it with John Mayer playing like SRV all of a sudden? Actually, it's been like this for awhile. I find it rather odd actually, because his usual stuff is really...poppy (for lack of a better word).

He is the least likely person to play SRV-inspired blues rock, but hey...whatever floats his boat.

I remember I saw him play a sweet SRV-like instrumental type thing at the Crossroads Guitar Festival (with Eric Clapton). Very nice actually, but I can't stand those awful faces he makes on stage. Pretty rediculous stuff. SRV always looked like he was pouring his soul into the music... Mayer looks like a he's got bad constipation and inflammation. Razz

Anyway, enough of my ranting. What do you guys think of Mayer?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayer = great tone, great gear, great chops, awful voice.

BAD FACES!!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that he gets to hang with BB, Buddy Guy & Clapton must count for something, but I'm not sure what. Those faces are just wretched!
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that he likes to steal solos from the big guys like Buddy Guy, Clapton, etc. Any truth to that?
TTrahan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any "solo stealing", if you mean he steps on the other guy's feet when they play together.

I think Mayer is an awesome player, he is just another one of those guys that thinks he knows everything about the blues, but he's never had to play it with 5 strings, know what I mean?
Soul_Taker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download many John Mayer bootlegs from this FTP server. http://www.score1more4me.com/ftp.html
I recommend the concerts jm2004-12-28.4011.trak2.shnf and jm2004-12-28.4011.trak2.shnf
He plays Little Wing and many other blues songs.
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Solo stealing Reply with quote

If by solo stealing you mean copying solos from others, that's a tradition that goes way back. Clapton would be nowhere without Freddie King and others.

I thought that Mayer was very respectful of SRV. In the DVD where they interviewed Mayer to comment on SRV he said something like, "lots of folks can do what SRV did for a minute or two, but Stevie was able to do it all the time." (or something like that).

I have to admit, I was surprised that Mayer was interviewed for the DVD with SRV. I think of Mayer as a pop singer with a little jazz/blues thrown in. Not a blues player.

If you can catch Mayer dropping in on the Dave Chappelle show (Comedy Central...it's a cable show), try to see it. Mayer and Chappelle are hilarious. Mayer's the straight man for Chappelle's comedy.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points there Lee.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I didn't mean "copying licks" or whatever... I've heard that he likes to jump out front and start soloing while somebody else is playing and try to "steal" the show. Then again I don't have first hand experience so that's why I was asking if there is any truth to that.

I also kind of wonder why he was interviewed for the SRV Montreaux dvd. I think Kenny Wayne Shepherd probably would have been a better candidate for interview since SRV was his biggest influence as a kid.

And I agree about that Chappelle's show bit! Hilarious stuff. My favorite part was when John started playing some screaming blues rock licks inside the barbershop and the guy was like, "hey.....shut the f*** up!" Great stuff. lmao
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: John Mayer and the blues? Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Ok, so what is it with John Mayer playing like SRV all of a sudden? Actually, it's been like this for awhile. I find it rather odd actually, because his usual stuff is really...poppy (for lack of a better word).

Stevie was the reason John Mayer is John Mayer. He inspired JM to pick up and electric guitar. he was playin Stevie stuff before he started writing his own.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_Taker wrote:
You can download many John Mayer bootlegs from this FTP server. http://www.score1more4me.com/ftp.html
I recommend the concerts jm2004-12-28.4011.trak2.shnf and jm2004-12-28.4011.trak2.shnf
He plays Little Wing and many other blues songs.

The shows Soul Taker's referring to are also available at http://www.powerplaystrategies.net/Page.html as mp3s. Apparently he played a couple of all 'blues' shows around new year last year. He plays a few SRV songs - Empty Arms, So Excited & Ain't Gonna Give Up On Love - and a bunch of Hendrix - Bleeding Heart Blues, Wait Until Tomorrow, Machine Gun, Rainy Day Dream Away. Surprisingly good. Worth checking out. Doesn't quite make up for that Booty Wonderland song, though...
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting news you guys! This is taken off another forum:

Mayer Creates "Continuum"

Pop star plays the blues on upcoming album

"I'm ready to shake it all up," John Mayer says of his next studio album, Continuum, due in early 2006.
"They are tunes that live on guitar. When it comes out, I may never win a Grammy again, I may never sell a million records again, but the world will get where I'm coming from," he tells Rolling Stone's Smoking Section column. "I'm not afraid to lose it all."

Meanwhile, Mayer has been an in-demand guest for his heroes: He has recorded with Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy for their upcoming albums, and he'll be performing at Bonnaroo on June 10th with Herbie Hancock's reunited Seventies funk-jazz group, the Headhunters. The group will play additional gigs on the 8th in St. Louis, on the 9th in Kettering, Ohio, and on the 11th in Memphis.

Mayer is also preparing to flex his new blues-based outfit, the John Mayer Trio, on the road and on a live disc. "I'm gonna go out in the fall with the trio and just play," he says. "Power-rockin', electric-guitar, in-your-face blues."

AUSTIN SCAGGS
(Posted May 13, 2005)

YES! FINALLY! Laughing Very Happy
Adam H

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two students about a year or two ago that brought in some bootlegs of early Mayer concerts, and the guy can really play. There was a really nice version of The Wind Cries Mary, with just him on electric, no bass or drums. The only thing, when I've heard him play lead, there's not much bite - it is all soft edges and pretty strat tones. There's nothing wrong with that, but I like the loud, brash strat tones, too.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't heard some of his blues stuff then... plenty of bite. I agree though, he does carry a little of his "pop" sound over to slow covers like Lenny and The Wind Cries Mary.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can he write blues/guitar heavy stuff? I like the blues shows but a lot of that is because I love the classic Stevie & Hendrix tunes he chooses. The part about him guesting with the HeadHunters threw me, too. I'm interested to see how he fares but I'd rather see Mike Landau, Scott Henderson or one of those guys get the gig. Sounds like he really wants to prove himself as a player. Good luck to him.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: