Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - closest SRV tone?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

closest SRV tone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: closest SRV tone? Reply with quote

staying in context to this particular discussion board, who of the new young guitarists come closest to reaching Stevie's tone?

I'm goin to have to say Jess Davey from the Hoax on the Humdinger album. The slow blues track "Dont Shake My Hand" shows him nailing that clean, "tin pan alley" type tone almost perfectly.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: closest SRV tone? Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
staying in context to this particular discussion board, who of the new young guitarists come closest to reaching Stevie's tone?

I'm goin to have to say Jess Davey from the Hoax on the Humdinger album. The slow blues track "Dont Shake My Hand" shows him nailing that clean, "tin pan alley" type tone almost perfectly.

Speaking of the Daveys, does anybody have any idea what they're doing now? I heard they released an album as the Davey Brothers (maybe) but it sank like a stone. One not particularly good tune was on the Lara Croft 2 OST, I think. I know they did a little production work and apparently they make movies as well. Interesting pair.

To get back on topic, he's neither new nor young (and the album's ten years old) but Scott Henderson's tone on Dog Party is very SRV-like. He's moved away from that tone a little these days but I still think that's my fave CD of his tone-wise.
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Philip Sayce (only more of a trebly SRV tone) or Wes Jeans...

Kenny Wayne Shepherd USED to have the tone, but he's gone more rock now. Who else....
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: closest SRV tone? Reply with quote

i know Jess Davey is out on the road with Indigenous (apparently him and the sister are dating) serving as their guitar tech. He sits in at the end of each show.

Not sure what Rob's up to.

Last edited by bluz_playa85 on Tue May 24, 2005 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
I'm thinking Philip Sayce (only more of a trebly SRV tone)

who is Philip Sayce? i've never heard of him. Where can I find his stuff?

I also think John Mayer can sound like Stevie at times.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
Vaughanabe13 wrote:
I'm thinking Philip Sayce (only more of a trebly SRV tone)

who is Philip Sayce? i've never heard of him. Where can I find his stuff?

There's clips at his fan site http://philip.bstrongspeaktru.com/. Apparently he's got a new album out next Wednesday. I think he already has one to his name. His main claim to fame is as Melissa Etheridge's guitarist for the last few years.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: closest SRV tone? Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
i know Jess Davey is out on the road with Indigenous (apparently him and the sister dating) serving as their guitar tech. He sits in at the end of each show.

That's kind of sad to hear. I guess it's hard to maintain a career.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Philip Sayce plays great, he is amazing. But I don't think his tone is really SRV. Its awesome tone, but not so much SRV.

I would say that KWS came close when he was doing that thing. Josh Kirkland comes pretty close at times. But his playing his even more spot on the KWS when it comes to SRV.

Jimmy String breaker gets a good SRVish tone w/ a Vibroking.

I don't know, there's so many that do the SRV thing, and all of them have great tone.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys wanted to turn you all on to another SRV stylist out of Austin named Eric Tessmer. He's a friend of mine who i've jammed with a few times so if you'd like check him out at www.erictessmerband.com. i think you guys will dig he's style. he's got the SRV thang locked down.

Last edited by bluz_playa85 on Tue May 24, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
I think Philip Sayce plays great, he is amazing. But I don't think his tone is really SRV. Its awesome tone, but not so much SRV.

+1. I watched a couple of his video clips with Jeff Healy, and his tone wasint really SRV, but his style and technique had shades of it. His tone was a little too dirty and harsh, and not as smooth as Stevie's. He sounds a little bit like Kenny Wayne Shepherd (tonewise) at times but this guy's style is a little more his own which is cool.

probably not a hard sound to get tho. i'd start with a good strat, ds-1 and a super reverb. that'll probably get you close.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

I think Sayce is using MJM stuff right now.

Check Mike's stuff out at www.mjmguitarfx.com

He was using a Fuchs ODS100 and a Genz Benz amp w/ Etheridge for a while. Then he bought a Germino Club 40 for the grammy's. It sounded sick Shocked
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you guys think about Mato from Indigenous? I think he's a good player with good tone. any others?
Adam H

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys? Dude gets lots of great Strat tones. He really loves that wah pedal...
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam H wrote:
Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys? Dude gets lots of great Strat tones. He really loves that wah pedal...

henry's good. i agree with the wah wah point you made. maybe loves it a little too much sometimes? He'll never get as close to Stevie's tone as KWS did though.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam H wrote:

Apparently he uses a Marshall DSL (probably the 100), based on what I've seen elsewhere. Don't know if it's modded or not. I guess if Hendrix could plug into a FF, a wah, an octavia and a Marshall and get great tone back in the '60s, it's more than possible now.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: