Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - closest SRV tone?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

closest SRV tone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluz_playa85 wrote:
what do you guys think about Mato from Indigenous? I think he's a good player with good tone. any others?

I like the playing and also his voice, which for others may be an acquired taste, but feel the tunes aren't quite there yet. They've got a new ep out and I listened to some clips on their website. A heavier direction which seems to suit them a little better but still more riffs than songs.
62strat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY SALTY CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES.....
Adam H

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the songs, some of it is a little weak. I love his tone, though. I don't think he's really going for SRV as much as he is a mix between SRV & Santana.

Another dude with really great tone is Tommy Castro. He's not a real fretboard wizard or anything, but he's tasteful, and has just a great tone. I saw him with a friend in Nashville. Before the show, him and his band played in a Tower Records store, and he played through a tiny little tweed Fender, I don't even know what it was, it didn't look like a Champ but who knows. It looked like something from the fifties. At the show that night, he played through a big Fender, maybe a Twin, cranked so loud he had a road case in front of it.

My other favorite tone is Sonny Landreth. Dude is just unreal.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah tommy castro is not bad. i did a blues festival up in redding CA last year and he was good (i was more impressed with coco montoya who is a great guy) but i liked his voice alot more than his guitar chops. he played really simple stuff, but his voice and stage presence were top notch.

sonny l. is freakin amazing! his slide work is unbelieveable!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castro is the man IMO.

I've been listening to him religiously the last couple of years.

I finally made it to one of his shows. I saw him before the show in a restaurant down the street and he was nice enough sign my Right as Rain CD jacket, and shoot the stuff for a minute or two.

The show kicked major ass, his tone was incredible. Just Strat through a '66 Super Reverb dimed. It was heavenly.
62strat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BluzPlaya, I figured since your a big Chris Duarte fan you'd be the one to ask. What do you think is the best Duarte CD? Is the best guitar work done on the same album?

I have Texas Sugar/Strat Magik and Romp and I like them both obviously I like T.S.S.M better, but I was gonna get another Duarte cd and was wondering what one is the best. If the best is one of the ones I have is there another one you would recommend?

What are some good Live Jams to look for on WinMX or another downloading site?

What are some good Duarte Websites?
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:

I have Texas Sugar/Strat Magik and Romp and I like them both obviously I like T.S.S.M better, but I was gonna get another Duarte cd and was wondering what one is the best. If the best is one of the ones I have is there another one you would recommend?

What are some good Duarte Websites?

I would recommend the "Love Is Greater Than Me" cd.
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62strat wrote:
Hey BluzPlaya, I figured since your a big Chris Duarte fan you'd be the one to ask. What do you think is the best Duarte CD? Is the best guitar work done on the same album?

What are some good Live Jams to look for on WinMX or another downloading site?

you got mail
rockindillo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hall from my band, The Rockin' Armadillos...

Check our website www.rockinarmadillos.com for gig details, though be aware that the download tracks on their actually feature our other guitar player, Owen Barry, who has since moved out of his SRV phase into something rather more jazzy and sophisticated... a kind of amalgam of SRV, Albert Collins, Jeff Beck, David Grissom, Larry Carlton! Pretty awesome, actually!
jono

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a friend of jesse davey ( i have his guitar used on humdinger ) and also one of his super reverbs.
he and his brother robin stll have a record deal with interscope records as the davey brothers.
as for gigs, last time i sae him eas bout a year ago , he came back over here and did a one off gig with Jon Amor hur colteman and mark barret ( all ex hoax members )
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono wrote:
I am a friend of jesse davey (i have his guitar used on humdinger ) and also one of his super reverbs.
he and his brother robin stll have a record deal with interscope records as the davey brothers.
as for gigs, last time i sae him eas bout a year ago , he came back over here and did a one off gig with Jon Amor hur colteman and mark barret ( all ex hoax members )

Jono I sent you a private message.

IMO Jesse Davey is the best player in the SRV style as far as technique and tone go. His guitar work on the Hoaxs' Humdinger and Sounds Like This are superb. If you havent heard of these guys...you godda check em out!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: