Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - What other Blues Players?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

What other Blues Players?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: What other Blues Players? Reply with quote

What other Blues Players are you guys listening to these days?
garp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Trout is really good. I also buy blues compliation CD's with various artist in them.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Trout
Ian Moore's bluesy stuff is awesome
Indigenous - Guitar player is a monster, don't care for the songs though
Tommy Castro - My modern favorite. SRV tone and some licks (not an SRV copy by any means), Delbert McClinton-ish song structure, very James Brown influenced, GREAT SINGER!
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Sardinas
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one new guy (well, new to me anyway) who totally blows me away. His name is Philip Sayce, born in 1976 in Wales, but his family moved to Toronto, Canada when he was two. In 1996, Philip released his first solo CD on Hypnotic Records -- The Philip Sayce Group -- it is a rare CD and very hard to find, but Grooveyard Records has just re-released it. The production values are not that good, but there is one live-recorded blues number called "Wrong Place, Wrong Time," that leaves me totally breathless with goosebumps every time I listen to it. I cannot recommend that song highly enough. Anyway, Philip has just wound up a world tour as Melissa Ethridge's hot-shot guitar slinger, and is just going into the studio to record his second album, due to be released in early 2005, on the Grooveyard label. My gut tells me this guy is going to be really really big in a few years.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip is another guy that I like, as well.

But he is also another guy that I like his guitar playing and nothing else.

http://philip.bstrongspeaktru.com/

Theres a fan site, pretty cool stuff.

He can definitely rip. Makes me want to buy a Fuchs.
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
Walter Trout
Ian Moore's bluesy stuff is awesome
Indigenous - Guitar player is a monster, don't care for the songs though
Tommy Castro - My modern favorite. SRV tone and some licks (not an SRV copy by any means), Delbert McClinton-ish song structure, very James Brown influenced, GREAT SINGER!
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Sardinas

All these guys are great. I would recommend Chris Duarte & Doyle Bramhall 2, I'm sure everyone here already knows who these guys are though.

Danny
http://www.soundclick.com/smokestacklightning
fendervoodooblues@yahoo.com
TTrahan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really want to throw DB II in there as a blues player, because most of his albums aren't blues, know what I mean?

Chris Duarte is a good player, but his tunes do absolutely nothing for me.
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
I didn't really want to throw DB II in there as a blues player, because most of his albums aren't blues, know what I mean?

I'm just familiar with DBII's recent work on Eric Clapton's tribute to Robert Johnson -- pretty solid playing -- so he's not completely out of his element as a blues player. He plays a mean slide guitar motif on "Milk Cow Blues." I've heard that DBII's album, Welcome," shows off some very tasty blues chops, but I've never heard it myself, and I don't have the album. Can anyone provide a quick review of DBII's "Welcome" album?? Is it worth purchasing??

J.J.
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just recommending Doyle since his roots are in the Blues & people who like Stevie's playing would probably enjoy Doyle's...especially in the work with Clapton that was mentioned. As far as Duarte's stuff, I really enjoy his live playing. IMO, JJ, "Welcome" does have some tasty blues chops & I would recommend it. Like we were saying, his music isn't straight ahead Blues, but it's definitely Blues-based guitar-playing.

Danny
TTrahan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like DB II because he can play SRV as good as SRV, and he can play Jimi as good as Jimi. That's how I see it. He might to play them AS good, but he gets damn close. His cop of the tones those guys had is right on as well. He can also sound like DB II, which IMO, is the most important part. His style is awesome.

"Welcome" is a kick ass album. Full of great Marshall + Fuzz face tones, great vocals, emotional songs, and mean guitar licks. I think it's the best DB II album, and would recommend to everybody. Even people who don't like guitar hereos, because this album isn't guitar based like say, a KWS album is, its more for the song.
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If DBII can play even a rough approximation of SRV and Jimi, then I'm going to purchase his album, "Welcome" -- thanks to Troy and Voodoo for their comments. As for song-writing, I think it's a shame that KWS has not written or recorded better material. He has the chops, has the tone, but the song-writing is mediocre at best. My favorite KWS album is still "Ledbetter Heights," which came out about six years ago !!
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heartily recommend Welcome to any SRV fan. Good songs, Good voice, Good guitar playing. No offence to Kenny Wayne Shepherd, but I do not understand why HE'S the famous one. But then I prefer Peter Green to Clapton, too.
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival DVD, and Doyle plays some great blues, both with his own band and with EC. I know of Peter Greene, but I don't have any of his stuff. Didn't he do an album with John Mayall in the late '60s?? Also one album with Fleetwood Mac?? Anyway, I am still waiting with baited breath for Philip Sayce's forthcomming album on Grooveyard Records.
wolftrane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB Chung King & The Buddaheads
www.buddaheads.com
I recomend the first US release Blues Had A Baby if you can find an original RCA copy. It is now out of print.
I think you can get it from his site.
I haven't heard the new CD Mumbo Jumbo, that was recently released.

The Hoax
This was a young UK band that nailed the SRV tone but broke up in 99.
I recommend the following CDs

Sound Like This
The Night Will Come EP
Humdinger
Live Forever

I also highly recommend the Will Ray CD Mojo Blues. You can also buy the backing track CD and play along with the tunes.
www.hellecasters.com
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyJames wrote:
I know of Peter Greene, but I don't have any of his stuff. Didn't he do an album with John Mayall in the late '60s?? Also one album with Fleetwood Mac??

Peter Green replaced EC in the Bluesbreakers, and was then unceremoniously dumped when EC returned from goofing off in Greece. When EC finally left to form Cream, Peter once again joined and played on A Hard Road, which features an instrumental called the Supernatural that obviously had a huge effect on Carlos Santana. After the Bluesbreakers, Peter formed Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie and second guitarist Jeremy Spencer, who, in retrospect, was just a fairly crap Elmore James copyist. They were a great band but their albums were a little inconsistent. Mr Wonderful, their second was probably the most consistent, but the casually interested are probably better served by one of the many cheap compilations of their hits available. As the band progressed they became more rock-based with an emphasis on jamming. Oh Well is one of the great riff rockers, especially any of the live versions. Unfortunately, just as they were becoming popular in the States, Peter had a nervous breakdown and he's never been the same since. He came back in the '90s and still tours, but he's a mere shadow of his former self. A true shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: