Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - What other Blues Players?

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

What other Blues Players?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyJames

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konichi Wha-Wha, Uncle Salty !!

Thanks for the excellent retrospecive on Peter Green. Isn't he the guy who flipped the rythmn pup on his Lester to get an unusual out-of-phase sound?? Besides "A Hard Road," did Green record anything else with Mayal?? I have heard that one of the early Fleetwood Mac albums contains some classic guitar riffage,would that be... Mr. Wonderful??

Arigato,
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Peter Green Reply with quote

I believe that "Oh Well" had great FM airplay in 1970 with a wonderful opening riff, followed by an acoustic break after 2 minutes, see Fleetwood Mac's 1969 release "Then Play On." It also has that bass line that sounds a bit like Pink Floyd. They don't play things like this on the radio anymore. It's a 9 minute song.

Here's what Rhapsody has to say regarding Green,

Quote:
Artist Snapshot
Peter Green is best remembered as the original impresario behind Fleetwood Mac. He founded the band and then left, reportedly because they refused to donate all of the proceeds from their records to charity. Green was immediately deemed insane and encouraged to make other arrangements. During his brief tenure with the Mac, however, he delivered some of the finest blues guitar work in rock 'n' roll. His fluid playing style was smooth enough to charm a snake right out of its skin. Green's almost mythical status as an electric guitar demi-god has been heightened by his reclusiveness and his aura of deranged genius.
- Mike M.

and in a review of Peter Green's anthology "Man of the World"

Quote:
Album Mini-Review:
If Fleetwood Mac's stellar blues-rock period in the 1960s is new to you, catch up with these songs from their ex-frontman. Green reinvented blues guitar by flipping the magnets on one of his Les Paul pickups. (OK, he also played phenomenally well and exuded an incomparable style and finesse.)
- Eric S.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Peter flipped the pickup around by accident when he was cleaning it. That guitar now belongs to Gary Moore and that tone has inspired numerous people to modify their LPs, among them Mark Knopfler and Robben Ford. Apparently a coil split, ala Ford, doesn't quite cut it although I'm hard-pressed to hear a real difference. Gary Moore's short-lived signature model featured a reverse neck pick-up.

Jimmy James, as per Lee's suggestion, the place for riffing Mac is Then Play On. Early Mac is much more bluesy - Green really absorbed BB King and Otis Rush and turned them into his own thing. His slow blues are something to savour. Unlike Clapton, almost all of his stuff is self-penned, and he has a distinctive, melancholy singing-style that really complements the material. The most frustrating aspect of Mac albums is how much space is allotted to the other members' efforts and the feeling that everyone's holding themselves back. Shrine '69, an archival release, is one of the best places to hear Peter Green play the blues, a live recording from the California venue of the same name. Ryko threatened to release more but so far to no avail.

The live Boston Tea Party discs are cheap, readily available and feature some good performances, but the two 20 minute plus versions of Rattlesnake Shake on offer here are for the initiated only. Great version of Oh Well, though.
Blind Melon Chitlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite blues players is Hound Dog Taylor. For those who aren't familiar with him, he's the cat George Thurogood made a career out of ripping off. No offense to fans of Lonesome George, but until you've heard Hound Dog Taylor and that wicked ass tone, you just wouldn't understand where I'm coming from.

Freddy King is a longtime favorite of mine.

Albert Collins the Iceman, a true original.

Gatemouth Brown on PEACOCK RECORDS.

Guitar Slim is very underrated and IMO largely overlooked.

Otis Rush especially his sides on COBRA RECORDS in the '50s. He's one of the few players who sings as well as he plays.

Johnny 'Guitar' Watson is a guy who I really need to study up on.

Magic Sam is one of the original 'West Side' blues cats.

John Hammond does some excellent stuff.

Little Charlie and the Night Cats do some smokin' jump blues, and Little Charlie doesn't sound like any guitar player I've ever heard.

Duke Robillard plays a lot of different styles and has a very deep bag too.

John Mooney is a great slide player who got his start playing with Son House(!) and has recorded some killer albums.

Ronnie Earl...nuff said.

Robben Ford is a very original player. I don't much care for his voice, but his guitar playing more than makes up for his whitebread vocal stylings. Laughing His tone is pretty awesome too.

Kelly Jo Phelps does some really interesting acoustic slide playing. Very melodic and inventive.

Robert Randolph just kicks ass all over the place.

Some of my favorite Austin guys are:

Allan Haynes who is one of the few guitar players Stevie would let on stage with him, and for good reason: he's badass.

Derick O'Brien has been the house guitar player at Antone's for several years and just an all around damn good player.

Shawn Pittman is a younger cat from Dallas (now living in Austin) who's really got it going on. Tasty player powerful singer. Very old school.

Nick Curren won a Handy Award recently and is now playing in Kim Wilson's band. Jimmie Vaughan is one of his fans. Need I say more?

Gary Clark Jr. is another rising star from Austin. He's one of the rare examples of a real blues player in this town. Trust me, there's a lot of wankers and hacks in Austin, and this kid's got it going on. Great singer too.

I could keep going but I think that's enough for now.
chuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had picked up a book called "Chasin' that Devil Music" it came witha CD of old recordings by Willie Brown, Charlie Patton and others. I had no idea Charlie Patton was such a good player. The feeling they played with is amazing.
FenderVoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this guitarist for the first time from the Netherlands
who I thought was really good & had a nice tone. He plays
in some band called The Strikes & his name is
Jimmy "Stringbreaker"--I don't know if anyone here
has heard of him or not. You can hear the SRV influence in
his playing & I think he's definitely worth checking out.
http://www.jimmy.thestrikes.com/

Danny
http://www.soundclick.com/smokestacklightning
voodoo364

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Joe Bonomassa is my fave new "blues" guy. Great tones and chops
TTrahan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenderVoodoo wrote:

Danny

I just went to that site, pretty cool stuff.

First left SRV clone I've seen. I like his playing and tone.
Holland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
FenderVoodoo wrote:

Danny

I follow Jimmy for 5 years now!
He's one of the greatest guitarplayers in The Netherlands.
Please write something in his guestbook, I'm sure he liked it very much.

I just went to that site, pretty cool stuff.

First left SRV clone I've seen. I like his playing and tone.
Top_Hat_Blues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolftrane wrote:
BB Chung King & The Buddaheads
www.buddaheads.com
I recomend the first US release Blues Had A Baby if you can find an original RCA copy. It is now out of print.
I think you can get it from his site.
I haven't heard the new CD Mumbo Jumbo, that was recently released.

That's badass, you've heard of BB Chung King & The Buddaheads. That's my good friend's dad's band, he's the guitar player/singer. He can wail on a guitar, and he can put some great blues feel into it too. I saw them once in a small bar in LA, and he blew me away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: