Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS Reply with quote

hi!its my first post here i m from greece,stevie is in my heart and i would be very happy if someone knew the amps and the pedals that stevie used at these lives:
1)montreaux 1982
2)montreaux 1985
3)el mocambo
4)austin texas 1983
5)austin texas 1989
6)stevie with albert king(live canada i think..)

thanks a lot Wink
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS Reply with quote

takis wrote:
hi!its my first post here i m from greece,stevie is in my heart and i would be very happy if someone knew the amps and the pedals that stevie used at these lives:
1)montreaux 1982
2)montreaux 1985
3)el mocambo
4)austin texas 1983
5)austin texas 1989

thanks a lot Wink

Here's what I have gathered.

Montreaux 1982 - 2 Blackface Twin Reverbs and a tubescreamer. TS808.
Montreaux 1983 - He had the Dumble SSS there I think. Probably a Marshall Major too. Most likely his tubescreamer (maybe 2), Vox Wah. I don't know if he brought the Vibratone. I'd have to watch the video...did he have his Fenders there? *Obviously I'm not too sure about this one. I think his tone sucked there.

El Mocambo - TS808 and Vox Wah. Vibroverb (positive, maybe he had two), Super Reverb (positive). I've also heard he had a Marshall in the far left...but who knows if thats true.

ACL 1983 - Vibroverbs and Supers for sure. TS808 and Vox wah.
ACL 1989 - Dumble SSS and Marshall (maybe major, most likely). Probably TS10 or 808, he had the Tycobrahe Octavian as well. Vox Wah. Fuzz Face (I think this was the Cesar Diaz fuzz)

SRV w/ Albert King - I have the Video, this is just Strats straight into ONE Vibroverb miced. Its right behind him. I think he had it pretty loud because his tone is awesome.

*Most of this stuff is just from watching the vids and eyeing the amps. I'm pretty sure about all of the pedal comments (you can always count on him having a tubescreamer and a vox wah, the models of the TS get a little hazy after '85 or '86. He used an EH Hot Tubes for a show or two in '87)
takis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Montreaux 1985.I think his tone sucked there

i agree Wink

Quote:
SRV w/ Albert King - this is just Strats straight into ONE Vibroverb miced. I think he had it pretty loud because his tone is awesome.

the tone at this live especially when stevie palys solo at "matchbox blues" track,is UNBELIEVABLE Shocked Wink
also for me the best tone tha stevie ever had was at montreaux 1982 Wink

aaa!!thanks a lot for all of your answers...srv junkie Razz Wink
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT, did he use the Tycobrahe Octavia? I thought he used the Roger Mayer Octavia but that might be hendrix and Kenny Wayne Shepherd that I'm thinking of.
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he used the Tycobrahe for sure. But he started using them after he used the RM Octavia. Now that I think of it, the ACL show is definitely the RM and not the Tycobrahe...thanks for pointing that out. But SRV definitely used the Tycobrahe later on after the RM.

I know KWS used the RM for a long time. He probably still does!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takis wrote:
Quote:
Montreaux 1985.I think his tone sucked there

i agree Wink

Quote:
SRV w/ Albert King - this is just Strats straight into ONE Vibroverb miced. I think he had it pretty loud because his tone is awesome.

the tone at this live especially when stevie palys solo at "matchbox blues" track,is UNBELIEVABLE Shocked Wink
also for me the best tone tha stevie ever had was at montreaux 1982 Wink

aaa!!thanks a lot for all of your answers...srv junkie Razz Wink

Your very welcome.

My favorite tones are: El Mocambo, Carnegie Hall, Live w/ Albert King, and anything from the '82 '83 era. Especially the Rome Inn shows and the Fitzgerald one from the box set.

I need to find that whole show.
Soul_Taker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS Reply with quote

TTrahan wrote:
takis wrote:
1)montreaux 1982
2)montreaux 1985
3)el mocambo
4)austin texas 1983
5)austin texas 1989

thanks a lot Wink

*Most of this stuff is just from watching the vids and eyeing the amps. I'm pretty sure about all of the pedal comments (you can always count on him having a tubescreamer and a vox wah, the models of the TS get a little hazy after '85 or '86. He used an EH Hot Tubes for a show or two in '87)

I watched the video and I think that the Twin Reverbs are Silverface (the face plate looks silver to me, but I can't see it very well...)
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT, Kenny definately still uses the RM Octavia. I saw him in November this year on his Place You're In tour and I got close enough to see his pedal board. Cool
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LIVE GEAR OF STEVIE SHOWS Reply with quote

Soul_Taker wrote:
TTrahan wrote:
takis wrote:
1)montreaux 1982
2)montreaux 1985
3)el mocambo
4)austin texas 1983
5)austin texas 1989

thanks a lot Wink

I watched the video and I think that the Twin Reverbs are Silverface (the face plate looks silver to me, but I can't see it very well...)

Could be, they do sound rather tin cannish, IMO. So they very well could be silverface Twins. Definitely hard to see with those blankets over the amps. I've just always heard they were BF Twins. I've also read that he brought his Vibroverbs over there, and had 6 army blankets on the amps. That was before the video came out, and now its obvious that they weren't the VVs, and that there definitely wasn't 6 blankets on the amplifiers, lol. I don't think anyone will ever REALLY know everything about his gear, except for the shows that its plain to see (El Mocambo, ACL, etc). You can see most of his stuff, but God knows if we see all of it.

I have a show where SRV is playing through a wall of Marshall Club and Countries, so what does that tell ya? Rolling Eyes He sounded great though. I hope they start selling SRV finger tips soon, lol!

EDIT* It looks like SRV has is wah during the first Montreaux show too, am I right here? He never used it, but I think it was there. Someone confirm this.
voodoo364

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info guys! El Mocambo is my "benchmark" SRV tone. I think his sound is awesome at that show. I also really dig the rawness of the Lou Ann Barton stuff. "you can have my husband", "tee nee nah"
TTrahan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
Great info guys! El Mocambo is my "benchmark" SRV tone. I think his sound is awesome at that show. I also really dig the rawness of the Lou Ann Barton stuff. "you can have my husband", "tee nee nah"

I agree about the El Mocambo comment. It sucks because I can almost gaurantee that is the combination of the Super and the Vibroverbs that give that tone...who on earth can do that now in the clubs we play?
voodoo364

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange TT...I dumped some 5751 pre tubes into my AB763 BM w/tranny upgrade. I lost a bunch of volume, but I really dig those preamp tubes..it seems like I am slamming the power section a little more now. I gotta' get me a Super!
TTrahan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo364 wrote:
It's strange TT...I dumped some 5751 pre tubes into my AB763 BM w/tranny upgrade. I lost a bunch of volume, but I really dig those preamp tubes..it seems like I am slamming the power section a little more now. I gotta' get me a Super!

Voodoo, I just ordered some NOS GE 5751 a couple of hours ago, weird!

I had the Jan GE 5751 in my VV for a while, not bad tubes at all.

I finally got a Super again, lol. I got rid of my reissue, which was a great amp, IMO. I found a clean '68 with trannies dated '65 and '67 w/ all of the original tubes. Telefunken rectifier and PI tube, RCA Blackplate 6L6 and 7025. What a find.

The power tubes are shot, but its still cool to have them. The rectifier tube might be bad as well, but the pre's are still good. I bought the amp for $1200, but I figure there's $300 worth of preamp tubes in there, so $900 aint bad for a '68 Super with BF guts!
voodoo364

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW that's great TT!. I am really gassing for a Super. I gotta' try and grok that El Mocambo tone. I think the 5751's are important..they seem to smooth out my tone.
62strat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Troy did you get that super from a kid that worked at Guitar Center? I think his name is Casey?

If so I know the kid and the amp. did he give you the its my grandpas line?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: