Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion :: View topic - Wall of denial

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index

Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
The SRV Discussion Forum - why didn't we do this before?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Wall of denial

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Wall of denial Reply with quote

Hi there !

I'm new and I have gone through most of the posts already...
I can feel the passion for Stevie Ray Vaughan, it brings me good feelings.
SRV is my favorite guitar player and my biggest influence. In fact it's because of him that I started to learn and play guitar.

I'm impressed by the energy, the feeling, the rythm and the tone of Stevie. I have so much to say and ask....
Let's start by the "Wall of denial" song !
I would like to know what can SRV's gear when he recorded this song. According my "ears", it seems he was playing with #1, a tube screamer and probably vibroverb, super reverb or bassman fender amps.
My point is... when it comes to the solo part there is like a leslie effect. Where do you think it come from ? According many websites, it seems that it's the Fender Vibrotone amp that Stevie used. There was a rumor that he used a leslie cabinet from old hammond organ. I get the chance to plug my guitar in that big cabinet during a show and i played few songs of SRV. It sounded exactly like "cold shot" solo in "live alive" CD.
Anyway, I'm not an expert of SRV bio and tone. So I'm a bit confused since many people said he never used Leslie cabinet...
What do you think ?
thanks
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wall of denial Reply with quote

Luni wrote:
Hi there !

I'm new and I have gone through most of the posts already...
I can feel the passion for Stevie Ray Vaughan, it brings me good feelings.
SRV is my favorite guitar player and my biggest influence. In fact it's because of him that I started to learn and play guitar.

I'm impressed by the energy, the feeling, the rythm and the tone of Stevie. I have so much to say and ask....
Let's start by the "Wall of denial" song !
I would like to know what can SRV's gear when he recorded this song. According my "ears", it seems he was playing with #1, a tube screamer and probably vibroverb, super reverb or bassman fender amps.
My point is... when it comes to the solo part there is like a leslie effect. Where do you think it come from ? According many websites, it seems that it's the Fender Vibrotone amp that Stevie used. There was a rumor that he used a leslie cabinet from old hammond organ. I get the chance to plug my guitar in that big cabinet during a show and i played few songs of SRV. It sounded exactly like "cold shot" solo in "live alive" CD.
Anyway, I'm not an expert of SRV bio and tone. So I'm a bit confused since many people said he never used Leslie cabinet...
What do you think ?
thanks

You hit it right on the head. Stevie used the Vibratone (which sometimes you can still find for between $400-$600) alot. Never a real leslie speaker that i've ever heard of. Thats what you heard on "Cold Shot". I also believe for Wall Of Denial he may have used a Fuzz Face but im not positive. He also said in interviews that for alot of "In Step" he used a white strat with a telecaster neck on it more often than he did #1, althought I think that tune may have been the exception.
Deezer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in that GuitarWorld interview that came out in 2000 I believe that he said that he used #1 on Wall Of Denial, but like you said, bluzplaya, he used that white Strat with the Tele neck for most of the recording session. However, he used Lenny on Riviera Paradise.
Luni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to be wrong with #1
It got this special smooth bass tone, very distinctive.
About the vibratone, I have read an excellent page http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vrbass/vibratone/
According the guy, there is a choral mode (40 speakers revolutions per minute) that makes a chorus effect. I guess it's what we can hear on Wall of denial since the intro and more pronounced during the solo part.
And what we hear on Cold shot (studio or live version) is the tremolo mode of vibratone.
Makes me want to try this huge cabinet...
Vaughanabe13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I guess I'm the only one but I can NOT for the life of me hear a vibratone-style vibrato on the studio version of Wall Of Denial. I had never even thought for a second that he used it for that song. The solo has a lot of vibrato, but no cabinet does that - it's all Stevie.

Maybe I'm missing something here but it just sounds like a cleanish vibroverb tone to me.
Luni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you it's not just a clean sound with tremolo or vibrato.
I own a twin 65 with bright and tremolo and it never sounded even close to this.
Listen carrefully the rythmic, there is something... if you think it's definitly not a vibratone, then it must be some kind of octavia or univibe but I never used these effects so again I'm only guessing.
Anyway, whatever it is, I just loved that cleaning tone, and I would like to know where it comes from... anybody has a clue ?
bluz_playa85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luni wrote:

Makes me want to try this huge cabinet...

actually the vibratone isint really that big. I tried one at Austin Vintage Guitars awhile back and it was actually quite small compared to what I thought it would be.

There is definitley a vibratone on the rhythm part of Wall Of Denile. Not on the lead part though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion Forum Index -> Stevie Ray Vaughan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: